The Student Room Group

Getting my ears pierced? HELP!

I've been meaning to get my ears pierced for ages now..I've got the go-ahead, I'm all set - just a few quick questions:

How much did it hurt when you had your ears pierced? Did it hurt after?

Where did you go? Where would you recommend?

Do you think I should go with my mum or friends?

Any other tips/advice :smile:

Thanks! :p:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How much did it hurt when you had your ears pierced?

It does hurt but not for very long, and aches/stings abit right after and when you knock the piercing/clean it. It's worth it though

depends on which area you live in (where to go )

definitely go with a friend or parent, you'll feel less nervous

and advice is don't change it/go swimming for a few weeks after even if they say 6 weeks wait as long as possible as it will HURT if it's gets infected.

especially if it then closes and they have to re-pierce over the scar tissue - that was v. painful
Reply 2
Um it stings a bit like a bee sting, short sharp no real pain.

I went to a Jewelers I was like 8 when I got it down, can't remember which one but it was a high street one.

It's not really that a big a deal, but you can take your mum or friends if you feel you want to.

You'll be fine!
I personally didnt feel any pain but I'm good with piercings. Basically it won't hurt much at all, don't worry. Go in thinking it won't hurt and it shouldn't too much.

Afterwards however, the lobes will hurt if you knock them so be careful. Just follow the piercist's advice and it should go fine. Most will tell you wash with salt solution and dont change the studs til fully healed.

Best places - can't say without knowing part of the country. My mum insisted that I got it done at Selfridges and they were very very good, give you their own brand of cleaning solution BUT totally unecessary and over priced. Maybe just do some research online about local piercing places?
Reply 4
If you have long nails, pinch the bit of skin between your thumb and first finger. That's how much it hurts. Afterwards I think I remember it throbbing a bit, but no huge pain.

I went to a hairdressing salon near me, where my friend had had her second holes done (I was 16). It was £20, including white gold studs and a bottle of cleaning fluid.

Keep them clean, as Cassie218 said, it hurts when they get infected. Mine didn't get infected at first when I had the white gold studs in, but they get infected every couple of months now I'm wearing cheaper earrings more.
Reply 5
I went to Claires Accessories for both mine (I have my ears pierced twice) and it was fine, about £18.

It hurts for a few seconds, and might feel a bit tender for a while after but overall its fine
Go to a professional piercing studio - ask your friends to recommend a tattooist/piercers that they've used.

Do NOT have them done in a jewellers and do NOT have them done with a gun. Needle piercings are the best and safest way to go.

Yes, it hurts, but being able to wear pretty earrings makes up for it tenfold hehe.
I was really scared beforehand but when I had it done it was a complete surprise, I hardly felt it at all (although for my sister it was quite painful, depends on your pain threshold - but for the majority of people it's fine). Ached a bit afterwards for a couple of hours but completely manageable.

I had it done at a small jeweller's in my town.

Go with someone if you're nervous, I went with my mum (but I was only 13 :p:).

Tips: Surgical spirit is your best friend. Make sure to dab it on and around the area every morning and evening and also keep twisting the studs to make sure the ear doesn't heal around them or something (:eek:).

Good luck :biggrin:

EDIT: Okay, according to others in this thread surgical spirit is in fact very bad for a fresh piercing. It never did my ears any harm but you should probably listen to the majority :p:
Reply 8
few stiff drinks, a needle and some ice - worked for me! :biggrin:
Reply 9
BookWormShanti
I've been meaning to get my ears pierced for ages now..I've got the go-ahead, I'm all set - just a few quick questions:

Any other tips/advice :smile:

Thanks! :p:

i had my ears pierced at the age of 7, and then again at 11, then i got my lip pierced twice when i was 14,eyebrow pierced at 15 and tattoo at 15 also, so im used to the pain and it doesn't last long i promise you ,when you get it done its just for a second and then it feels tender for a few days but should be fine if you look after it, and i reccomend you go to a piercing studio, DONT get it done by gun. ok? Theres a bigger chance of infection, and sometimes it can get stuck in your ear or be done incorrectly , with a piercer they will put a hollow needle through your ear and it will go right through and hurt less =] its so much safer and hurts less, just make sure you watch them pull out new needles and wash their hands and such!=]

hope i helped! They will also most likely be able to give you better instructions for care and if anything goes wrong with the piercing you can go back and talk to them=]
Reply 10
Bella Occhi
I was really scared beforehand but when I had it done it was a complete surprise, I hardly felt it at all (although for my sister it was quite painful, depends on your pain threshold - but for the majority of people it's fine). Ached a bit afterwards for a couple of hours but completely manageable.

Tips: Surgical spirit is your best friend. Make sure to dab it on and around the area every morning and evening and also keep twisting the studs to make sure the ear doesn't heal around them or something (:eek:).

Surgical spirit is your worst enemy. Would you rub it on a fresh wound? No, so you shouldn't be putting it on a piercing.
Bella Occhi

That is very bad advice, unfortunately. Surgical spirit is far far too harsh for a fresh piercing and actually causes skin damage. Please in future, do not recommend that product.

Salt water is the ONLY thing you should use on a fresh piercing.
BookWormShanti

no, and nope,

Peplows (dont know if there just a local or a country wide place... but its a posh jewellers basically... )
i would recommend going to a nice jewellers

either, my aunty took me :biggrin: was a christmas pressie

and listen to what they say....not people on here.... i saw other peoples surgical spirit and salt water debate....
i got given stuff by the jewellers to use.... go somewhere they'll give you some :wink:
and dab it around but dont twist... people say twist... the people who do it say dont, twisting you can actually stop/slow the healing process...
x
Mine hurt a bit like a pinch when it was actually being done but no pain at all afterwards...just felt a bit hot.
I went to a local beauty salon, £20 including earrings and never had any bleeding or infections.
I went with my mum; if you're a bit nervous go with someone :smile:
I got given some special stuff to clean it with but if they don't give you any you should be able to buy it cheaply from a chemists!
i went to claires like a bad man, and lied when she asked if it hurt...cause it did :emo: true story :smile:
Reply 15
Very little, I have 3 on each lobe and 2 cartilage. Lobes feel like pinching as I'm sure you have been told over an over again and usually a little of a hot sensation for about 5 minutes for me. The after care isn't very painful unless you hit it accidentally or get any products into the wound.

I had all my ear piercings done at a local jewellers. I would recommend going to see a few places before hand and choosing a place you feel comfortable in. It cost around £20? I forget with it being 2 years ago!

I went with my mum. I was 16 when I got all of them done (within a year) bar my cartilage which were both done when I was 17. I believe if you are under 16 you will need a parent or guardian legally there to give consent and likely fill out forms. Overall parents/guardians are usually the best choice as they will be sensible and naturally calm your nerves. They will also be able to spot if the area is not okay for you to be pierced in.

Tips/advice:
If you aren't feeling well on the day or up to it then don't force yourself. Don't pick at it or mess with it once its done, let it heel. Keep your hair back from it so it doesn't get tangled in the post. Always keep it clean and try not to get any products into it.

Hope I helped!
I had my ears pierced at a jeweller's shop where my Mum also had hers done when she was little. I had them pierced with a gun which was pretty painful, but then I was only eight when I had them done so my pain threshold was obviously a lot less than it is now :p:. I think it cost about £40 and I was told to wash my ear lobes in warm salt water every evening for six weeks. Obviously Mum had to come with me when it was done because I was only little but I'd advise taking someone with you regardless of how old you are because it'll ease your nerves a little bit. I'd also recommend you get your ears pierced in a professional studio where they'll do the piercings in the most safe and hygienic way.
Juno
Surgical spirit is your worst enemy. Would you rub it on a fresh wound? No, so you shouldn't be putting it on a piercing.

Ilora-Danon
That is very bad advice, unfortunately. Surgical spirit is far far too harsh for a fresh piercing and actually causes skin damage. Please in future, do not recommend that product.

Salt water is the ONLY thing you should use on a fresh piercing.

Seriously? :lolwut: That's what I was told to use and my ears are fine, undamaged and never been infected.

Well, OP, sorry to have misled you.
Reply 18
Yes it hurt like a pinch but I didn't cry LOL I was six!
Got it done in Claires Accessories
With my mum and sister :smile:
I had my second holes done a couple of days ago, it's just a sharp pinch in each ear :smile: cost me £14 at a proper piercers

Latest