The Student Room Group

Should I email the admissions department?

This is regarding the admissions to Lancaster university so it might be better if moved there; however, I imagine this can also be answered generally :smile:

I recently emailed my prospective university's admissions department, enquiring as to whether I should send them evidence regarding extenuating circumstances prior to results. I was told that I should do this, preferably a week or more before results day thereby giving them ample time to properly be aware of my situation, and if I do miss my results, they'll be able to give my application the appropriate consideration.

So I did this, and sent it special delivery to make sure it got there at the quickest and most available time. This was about a week and half ago now.

I've received no correspondence to confirm that they've received it (although knowing Lancaster, which has limited correspondence with students, it wasn't something I was 100% expecting).

Anyway, should I email the admissions department and enquire as to whether they've received it?

Thanks!
yes, give them a call to make sure it has been delivered...I assume that you haven't sent the originals, and so in the worst case you can simply photocopy them again (whatever they are) and send them again
RedRevolver
This is regarding the admissions to Lancaster university so it might be better if moved there; however, I imagine this can also be answered generally :smile:

I recently emailed my prospective university's admissions department, enquiring as to whether I should send them evidence regarding extenuating circumstances prior to results. I was told that I should do this, preferably a week or more before results day thereby giving them ample time to properly be aware of my situation, and if I do miss my results, they'll be able to give my application the appropriate consideration.

So I did this, and sent it special delivery to make sure it got there at the quickest and most available time. This was about a week and half ago now.

I've received no correspondence to confirm that they've received it (although knowing Lancaster, which has limited correspondence with students, it wasn't something I was 100% expecting).

Anyway, should I email the admissions department and enquire as to whether they've received it?

Thanks!

If they haven't responded to one form of written communication, it's doubtful that e-mail is the best way to ask questions. Why not ring them? They have to deal with you then...
Reply 3
Ring them, and retain dated proof that you posted it well before results day.
Reply 4
Phoning is probably the best just to make sure. I sent my letter off yesterday so i will be phoning in about a week to make sure it has been received.

I didn't send it special delivery though... whoops.

:smile:
Reply 5
Haven't you left it a bit late seeing as exams finished ~2 months ago? Might seem like an excuse you decided to roll out due to pre-results day panic.
Reply 6
TheSownRose
If they haven't responded to one form of written communication, it's doubtful that e-mail is the best way to ask questions. Why not ring them? They have to deal with you then...

I've emailed them before, and they've always replied quite quickly, with a very personal response. But I may phone them instead...thanks!

aliluvschoc
Ring them, and retain dated proof that you posted it well before results day.

Unfortunately, I didn't post it myself, as my Dad offered to do it instead as he was going to the post office as well. I'm unsure whether he would've kept proof of postage, however I'll asks him. :smile:
Reply 7
Butane
Haven't you left it a bit late seeing as exams finished ~2 months ago? Might seem like an excuse you decided to roll out due to pre-results day panic.

Um, no. I almost didn't do my exams due to a deterioration of my mental health, which I've been coping with since pre-adolescence. And my exams finished on the 30th of June. So hardly "~2 months ago".
Reply 8
RedRevolver
Um, no. I almost didn't do my exams due to a deterioration of my mental health, which I've been coping with since pre-adolescence. And my exams finished on the 30th of June. So hardly "~2 months ago".

13 days is still a sizeable amount of time to wait before alerting your university of such an apparently disadvantageous condition. Could your school not have written to the uni at an earlier date in order to discuss your condition and its effect on your exams? Oh well, hope you get everything sorted.
Reply 9
Butane
13 days is still a sizeable amount of time to wait before alerting your university of such an apparently disadvantageous condition. Could your school not have written to the uni at an earlier date in order to discuss your condition and its effect on your exams? Oh well, hope you get everything sorted.

No, because I go to an FE college where my student services are awful and I've said this to the Head of on many occasions. It wouldn't have made much of a difference anyway, as it was a medical issue and not just a personal issue; it was more prudent for my doctor to give me a letter to pass on (of which I was pretty much told to do anyway through correspondence with admissions).

The reason why I waited was because I had a follow-up appointment with my GP on the 12th of July, so with the NHS being the way it is, I didn't make another one when I already had a scheduled appointment.

Reply 10
Hey guys,

Thank you all for your advice. I must've tempted fate or something, because I actually received a letter this morning informing me that my evidence will be held on file and taken into consideration in August.

XD

Thanks anyway though!

Latest

Trending

Trending