The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BassBlair
Are you getting a card?

No, I'm not going to Glasgow uni, I do know people who are though and they'll be 17 but I'm not sure if they're getting a card.

I'll still be 17 during fresher's week too (at a different uni). Sorry I'm no help. :o:
Reply 21
If it wasn't in Scotland I'd probably say get one and see how it goes. I know a guy who went to uni at Herts at 17 and he never got ID'd for the first year, if you seem to be a uni student they assume. However I'm guessing cause you won't be the odd one out, places are more liekly to ID.

The best option is to contact some current students and see what they say- they'll probably have known someone at least in the same situation. Or maybe email the Student Union (who probably organise it all) and ask what they're advice is for 17 year old freshers. They probably have an action plan since it's a more common thing.

xx
I'll be 17 when I go to university too. I'm going to Manchester or Bradford. I have a fake ID though which says I'm 18, so I'm all right I think :smile:
chernij
I'll be 17 when I go to university too. I'm going to Manchester or Bradford. I have a fake ID though which says I'm 18, so I'm all right I think :smile:

How did that happen?

And has the id been tested? Nothing worse than going out and being turned down and having to go somewhere else (happened on my mates 21st recently).
Reply 24
BassBlair
So im starting Glasgow uni in september and just reieved a application for a freshers week pass. The only problem is that im only 17 on freshers week, would paying the £35 for this pass still grant me access to all the gigs and partys and activicties advertised. I dont wanna spend £35 on a pass and end up not being able to go to any evening events as im not 18.

Thanks

I've been part of the FW organisation for Glasgow in the past. What we'll do is issue everyone that has ID on them with a wristband when they go into the unions. Only those with wristbands can buy alcohol and the staff of the unions are allowed to eject you from the premises if you're seen drinking without a wristband. That's the way it's worked in the past, but I haven't checked exactly what the QM/GUU are up to this year with it- I imagine it'll be the same. In practice, they don't really check all that much- just don't make it too obvious otherwise you'll be one of the unlucky ones thrown out.
Reply 25
My friend will be 16 when he goes to Oxford :laugh:
History-Student
How did that happen?

And has the id been tested? Nothing worse than going out and being turned down and having to go somewhere else (happened on my mates 21st recently).

I skipped Year 6. Straight from Year 5 into Year 7.
Not yet. It's my old (invalid) passport with the DOB changed the year reads 91 instead of 92. Quite believable if I'm honest. Haven't tried it yet, but will do in the next month or so I think.
Reply 27
Also, in Scotland you can go straight to university from S5 (although most go from S6), so it's possible to be born in February 1994 and make the cut-off for university. Since the year cut off runs from March-Feb, then most sixth years are 18 by October, and some that aren't take gap years, but at Glasgow and Edinburgh at least around one in six freshers are 17 when university begins.
0404343m
I've been part of the FW organisation for Glasgow in the past. What we'll do is issue everyone that has ID on them with a wristband when they go into the unions. Only those with wristbands can buy alcohol and the staff of the unions are allowed to eject you from the premises if you're seen drinking without a wristband. That's the way it's worked in the past, but I haven't checked exactly what the QM/GUU are up to this year with it- I imagine it'll be the same. In practice, they don't really check all that much- just don't make it too obvious otherwise you'll be one of the unlucky ones thrown out.

So the solution is to make friends with a tee-totaler and get them to give/sell you their wristband with a bit of Sellotape to attach it.

Cool.
Reply 29
History-Student
So the solution is to make friends with a tee-totaler and get them to give/sell you their wristband with a bit of Sellotape to attach it.

Cool.

That's been tried- and especially when the bars are as busy as they get in FW it probably works quite a lot. The colours change every night though, and it's a bit of a faff to sort out in private- and if you get caught you're gubbed. Better to get a friend to buy you drink I reckon- because then at least you can claim if caught that you forgot your ID so didn't get given a wristband that night. Better chance of not getting thrown out.

Latest

Trending

Trending