The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh-WOW
How certain is it that being in extra means that it will be in clearing?
Also, my insurance is Cardiff and the history course was available for UCAS extra so if there is a big possibility that it is in clearing and I don't get AAB as my offer states but say I got ABB, how likely would it be that they would accept me?
I know that you don't know the definite answers here but just wondered if anyone could give me any information.
Thanks.

The chances of a course being in clearing is completely unrelated to whether it was in UCAS Extra, and even the admissions tutors won't yet know how lenient they'll be, though I suspect the level of such leniency at better universities is likely to be reduced every year as the A level grades continue to inflate.
How long, roughly, does it take for a UCAS application to be processed? I'm waiting on my reference from my tutor who's away until the 12th, and she's a very busy lady so I've said 17th latest, is that enough time to get it processed before the morning of the 19th? I'm applying individually, and the rest of it is completely done. I'm applying now to go straight into clearing.
Reply 22
Good bloke
The chances of a course being in clearing is completely unrelated to whether it was in UCAS Extra, and even the admissions tutors won't yet know how lenient they'll be, though I suspect the level of such leniency at better universities is likely to be reduced every year as the A level grades continue to inflate.

Thanks. It's just in Minerva's post it says:
'Use the UCAS Course Search to find the courses that were in Extra at the end of June, as this can be a guide for what might be available in Clearing.'
I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Oh-WOW
Thanks. It's just in Minerva's post it says:
'Use the UCAS Course Search to find the courses that were in Extra at the end of June, as this can be a guide for what might be available in Clearing.'
I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Perhaps I should have used the phrase "better universities" in the first part of my sentence, as I was writing in the context of your Cardiff application. The situation at the University of the Dartford Tunnel would be somewhat different, and in tune with Minerva's more general words, as a course in UCAS Extra at a weaker institution is very much more likely to be a sign of desperation and an indicator of clearing availability as well as flexibility in terms of entry requirements.
Reply 24
Good bloke
Perhaps I should have used the phrase "better universities" in the first part of my sentence, as I was writing in the context of your Cardiff application. The situation at the University of the Dartford Tunnel would be somewhat different, and in tune with Minerva's more general words, as a course in UCAS Extra at a weaker institution is very much more likely to be a sign of desperation and an indicator of clearing availability as well as flexibility in terms of entry requirements.

Thanks. I'd thought so much. I'd always said that if i missed my grades, I'd just take a gap year cause I would rather go to a 'better university.' but Minerva's info gave me a little bit of hope.
Oh well, thanks for the help anyway.
Oh-WOW
Thanks. I'd thought so much. I'd always said that if i missed my grades, I'd just take a gap year cause I would rather go to a 'better university.' but Minerva's info gave me a little bit of hope.
Oh well, thanks for the help anyway.

You should continue to hope, but also try to be realistic. Good luck!
Does anybody have any experience with Oxford's 'Track' record on Results Day? Are they an early updater, or do they leave it a few days after you get your results before updating your offer's status?
jennikay
How long, roughly, does it take for a UCAS application to be processed? I'm waiting on my reference from my tutor who's away until the 12th, and she's a very busy lady so I've said 17th latest, is that enough time to get it processed before the morning of the 19th? I'm applying individually, and the rest of it is completely done. I'm applying now to go straight into clearing.

Bumpity bump for this question. My tutor is back tomorrow and I need to be able to say when I need my reference, really... :unsure:
Reply 28
jennikay
Bumpity bump for this question. My tutor is back tomorrow and I need to be able to say when I need my reference, really...
Now. I've no idea how long it will take UCAS to process the application at this time of year, but it's usually quick. Nevertheless, you don't to find out it takes longer and then miss out on whatever there might be in Clearing.
i know that's probably a stupid question, but still: is there any 'deadline' for unis to let us know if we're accepted?
little_black_dress
i know that's probably a stupid question, but still: is there any 'deadline' for unis to let us know if we're accepted?

25 October is the last date for a university to accept a candidate via clearing (and you can apply for 2010 entry up until 20 September).
Reply 31
Extenuating Circumstances
Make sure that any information you want unis to be able to take into account when making a decision about your place, should you have missed your offer, is with them well before the Results are published.

If we were ill during the time of exams, which the school knows about and has had a doctors note for etc..Is it still best to notify the universities direct? (i will mention the fact i have recovered from being ill etc...but is there any reason for them to view my application in a negative light? or is it definitely best for them to know now before the results are released?)
jkkk32
Extenuating Circumstances
Make sure that any information you want unis to be able to take into account when making a decision about your place, should you have missed your offer, is with them well before the Results are published.

If we were ill during the time of exams, which the school knows about and has had a doctors note for etc..Is it still best to notify the universities direct? (i will mention the fact i have recovered from being ill etc...but is there any reason for them to view my application in a negative light? or is it definitely best for them to know now before the results are released?)

The only sensible way to approach this is for your school to do it, though they should have notified the exam board and account should already have been taken.
Reply 33
But have made my insurance, is that guarenteed whatever or can i still be rejected ?

I am getting a bit worried by news that a lot of students will miss out this year on their courses, can anyone clarify this ?

Cheers
Andy
your insurance becomes your firm, they won't reject you if you make the grades. unless you like, kill someone. in which case they can, and probably will. so don't.
If you haven't met either your firm or insurance in terms of offers then yes both can reject you.
Reply 36
I met my insurance, as i stated !
u253918
I met my insurance, as i stated !

Then, as long as they don't discover that you have applied with a false declaration of qualifications, or for medicine as a drug addict or criminal, you are safe.
Good bloke
Then, as long as they don't discover that you have applied with a false declaration of qualifications, or for medicine as a drug addict or criminal, you are safe.

Or both :ninja:
Reply 39
on results day, do we have to phone the universities on their clearing hotline number? or can we phone department phone numbers and department admission secretaries etc? Will they be open or only the clearing number?
thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending