The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nope.

I got treated the same as an ordinary student.
We by default get the maximum allowance for grants and loans but i don't know of anything extra.

I doubt we would to be honest, whilst the government has no right to exclude us from the same opportunities as an 18 year old kid they have little reason to encourage us out of the work force for three years.
Reply 3
No, but some Universities do specific bursaries for mature students, so might be worth looking into that.
Reply 4
ok thanks for clearing that up so quickly!
Wozzie
We by default get the maximum allowance for grants and loans but i don't know of anything extra.

I doubt we would to be honest, whilst the government has no right to exclude us from the same opportunities as an 18 year old kid they have little reason to encourage us out of the work force for three years.

That's only true if you've been living independently for three or more years, isn't it?

You could be over 21 but still live with your folks so their income would still be assessed, I believe.
Reply 6
The bursaries that RoxyLite mentioned are not always means-tested. As long as you're doing 50% of a full-time course, you should get something, albeit not a large sum. That's how it works at my university, I imagine it's the same for most universities.
No, I wish we got an exclusive grant! But we don't we follow the same rules as the younger students.
Reply 8
Eric Arthur
That's only true if you've been living independently for three or more years, isn't it?

You could be over 21 but still live with your folks so their income would still be assessed, I believe.

Correct.

Or if you're over 25, when you're automatically considered to be an 'independent' student.

You can also change to being an independent student if you turn 25 at any point during your course (but it only counts for the next academic year; e.g. I will turn 25 part way through my 3rd year, so will be counted as independent for my 4th year).
Eric Arthur

Sorry when i hear "mature student" my mind automatically goes with student finance classification of 25+ partly because money is the key factor in deciding whether or not a mature student can go to uni and partly because i just don't see why anyone under 25 would be classed as mature.
Wozzie
Sorry when i hear "mature student" my mind automatically goes with student finance classification of 25+ partly because money is the key factor in deciding whether or not a mature student can go to uni and partly because i just don't see why anyone under 25 would be classed as mature.

Haha, I don't blame you. I only mentioned it because I fall into the over 21 but under 25 and still at home group myself. They're calling me mature and it just makes me feel old. :frown:
Reply 11
I am a 24 year old turning 25 next may who is doing an Access course this year and hoping to enter uni in 2011..... Will I be classed as mature by student finance or not? I mean I assume my Ucas application is going to be done by may 2011... but I wouldn't have thought you have to apply that early for loans and grants etc?
BigV
I am a 24 year old turning 25 next may who is doing an Access course this year and hoping to enter uni in 2011..... Will I be classed as mature by student finance or not? I mean I assume my Ucas application is going to be done by may 2011... but I wouldn't have thought you have to apply that early for loans and grants etc?

yes 25 and over you get full load and grant - congrats! me too im same age as you going to uni 2011
Reply 13
BigV

Just to pick you up on the last line. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible for finance, I applied in January for 2010 intake. Your access tutor will probably encourage you to apply as soon as possible for funding, too.
Reply 14
danyjr
Just wondering, if someone is applying for student finance as a mature student, will they be getting an exclusive grant that is for mature students only?

Children: 0

Thanks in advance

Mature students do not get access to any extra funds than a normal person. You will get your tuition fees paid, along with a maintenance grant and loan amounting to over £6K along with a bursary, though this varies from university to university. On top of that there is the option of a student overdraft and one other thing are scholorships which don't seem to be given as much attention as in the USA.

In summary, assuming you get the full wack you can reasonably expect to have about £8K a year plus whatever you earn from a part time job.

Latest

Trending

Trending