The Student Room Group

i will be doing medicine in china..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think it's really brave of you to go to China to study medicine. I have studied in several countries (Russia, Poland, Scotland, Holland) and although I couldn't speak Russian at first I learned it quickly enough. I went to poland to study veterinary medicine last year, but despite the previous experiences in Russia it was very different because the teachers were not speaking their motherlanguage (as they did in Russia) so they couldn't really explain what they were meant in English and half of the power points were also in Polish, so eventually I decided not to go back and finish my degree there. I really hope for you it will be different, although I don't have very good experiences with Chinese speaking perfectly understandable English. On google books you can already read up on your basic human anatomy and I would surely recommend you to familiarise yourself with some basic Mandarin and biochem, diseases, etc. Good luck!
Reply 21
wishful
as the title says, i will be heading to china this november to study medicine.
im actually very nervous about this, but this is the cheapest place i can find, and from what ive heard, it's actually a decent uni.
I was just wondering , what is the best way to prepare for it?
i mean, im scared that i will struggle in the first year, im scared i might fail, and so i just thought i better study ahead or something..
so if theres any medics out there, could you please give me some advise?
the only qualifications i have is A-levels, but my grades arent really good, its just C..
so again i was just wondering if i can do anything to prepare myself..
perhaps maybe i should revise bio and chem? or something?
thanks for reading.

Just wondering, how much will it cost you?:biggrin:
Reply 22
p+i+n+k

Oeh yes, I would like to know as well!
Reply 23
greenforce
well try make friends of your own ethnicity and make sure they are good people.
on a very serious not china is no mumbo jumbo. crime in every society is a reality-when china is in focus.. it is very serious there. down take ally ways at night and days..when travelling take busy roads. make sure you are always accompanied by some guy when moving there.
i know alot of people who went to china for medicine-they went there in a group. so living for them was just ok-not easy

yeah the guy who handled my application told me that there is 11 other international people thats joining this intake too..
i think theres 5-6 from malaysia ( like me ) and 1 from toronto canada, and i cant remember the others. So yea it is a group thing, thank god im not the only one man..i mean i know im 19 but going to china alone, cmon that is pretty scary..
Reply 24
liz91
a lot of luck? and a delusion(or faith) that you'll be able to master the language in 1 semester?

the whole thing would be thought in english, but mandarin classes are just there to help you outside.
I know its just too short, esp like mandarin which is the hardest i think..
but i just gotta do it i guess.. i got no other choice.
Reply 25
Saar
I think it's really brave of you to go to China to study medicine. I have studied in several countries (Russia, Poland, Scotland, Holland) and although I couldn't speak Russian at first I learned it quickly enough. I went to poland to study veterinary medicine last year, but despite the previous experiences in Russia it was very different because the teachers were not speaking their motherlanguage (as they did in Russia) so they couldn't really explain what they were meant in English and half of the power points were also in Polish, so eventually I decided not to go back and finish my degree there. I really hope for you it will be different, although I don't have very good experiences with Chinese speaking perfectly understandable English. On google books you can already read up on your basic human anatomy and I would surely recommend you to familiarise yourself with some basic Mandarin and biochem, diseases, etc. Good luck!

haha.. brave? i had no choice! lol but thank you!.. Yeah i just hope i'll be able to cope with everything. My sister studied medicine at poland, and she said it was hell.. so ikinda can understand what you meant.
And im gonna find some medicine forum so i can study from there, if let say i dont understand the lectures..
Reply 26
p+i+n+k

i need to pay about 10k u.s dollar every year, for 6 years and that includes everything
Reply 27
wishful
i need to pay about 10k u.s dollar every year, for 6 years and that includes everything

And you're from the UK?

Why exactly are you going to China? Cos your grades aren't AAB+?

You know they do medicine in Budapest for the same amount. Course is taught in English too.

Seems a bit extreme personally. Could have always gone for graduate entry. Are you going to live in China forever now or are you going to try and come back to England?

WHat uni are you going to?
Reply 28
wishful
the whole thing would be thought in english, but mandarin classes are just there to help you outside.
I know its just too short, esp like mandarin which is the hardest i think..
but i just gotta do it i guess.. i got no other choice.

I read in a book (about applying to graduate school), that students who wanted to pursue medicine but couldn't at the time because their grades weren't strong enough, were advised to take some pre-medicine courses to help boost their grades up so they can be considered for medical school.

was that option available to you?
Reply 29
lekky
And you're from the UK?

Why exactly are you going to China? Cos your grades aren't AAB+?

You know they do medicine in Budapest for the same amount. Course is taught in English too.

Seems a bit extreme personally. Could have always gone for graduate entry. Are you going to live in China forever now or are you going to try and come back to England?

WHat uni are you going to?

nah, my grades are BBC, but its not really about that, its about the fees.. my parents can't afford it.. so that's why we turned to china, not only the fees are cheaper, the living expenses are really cheap as well..
hey Im not from england btw, Im from malaysia, and nahh i dont plan to practice or to live in china lol..just there for medicine thats all
Reply 30
How will you learn Chinese if your English is so broken? -.-#
wishful
yeah the guy who handled my application told me that there is 11 other international people thats joining this intake too..
i think theres 5-6 from malaysia ( like me ) and 1 from toronto canada, and i cant remember the others. So yea it is a group thing, thank god im not the only one man..i mean i know im 19 but going to china alone, cmon that is pretty scary..

i wish you all the luck.. but learn some martial arts. try being strong.
please
Reply 32
wishful
Do they ship in special English speaking patients for you? :rolleyes:
Reply 33
..jacket on, jacket off...
Reply 34
wishful
nah, my grades are BBC, but its not really about that, its about the fees.. my parents can't afford it.. so that's why we turned to china, not only the fees are cheaper, the living expenses are really cheap as well..
hey Im not from england btw, Im from malaysia, and nahh i dont plan to practice or to live in china lol..just there for medicine thats all

You do realise that the quality of your medical education is likely to be variable? I can't imagine that many Chinese profs of medicine able to teach medicine well in English...

I'm trying to decide whether that you're doing is an act of supreme courage or an epic fail. All the best. Just be aware that the healthcare system there takes some getting used to.
Reply 35
So, you're probably in china by now right? ... do you mind sharing your experience? lol
Original post by wishful

What uni are you going to?

It's probably going to be very difficult to find a medical job outside China in the future...
It sounds like your going to China just so you end up with a medical degree :s-smilie:

And I do not know how much of a linguist you are, but I am terrible and learning Mandarin in one year will be really hard especially with all the degree work you will have!

As I am applying this year I have no true knowledge on how hard the first semester is... but I would suggest just reading over your A level curriculum, and when you have recieved your modules and book list get them as soon as you can and start briefly studying it?

Well good luck for the future, hope it all works out :biggrin:
Original post by FreeFly
So, you're probably in china by now right? ... do you mind sharing your experience? lol

Original post by spacepirate-James
What uni are you going to?

It's probably going to be very difficult to find a medical job outside China in the future...

Original post by NinjaRikki
It sounds like your going to China just so you end up with a medical degree :s-smilie:

And I do not know how much of a linguist you are, but I am terrible and learning Mandarin in one year will be really hard especially with all the degree work you will have!

As I am applying this year I have no true knowledge on how hard the first semester is... but I would suggest just reading over your A level curriculum, and when you have recieved your modules and book list get them as soon as you can and start briefly studying it?

Well good luck for the future, hope it all works out :biggrin:

necrophilia

check the post date..
Reply 39
Original post by siwelmail

Original post by siwelmail
necrophilia

check the post date..

That's why the first guy said "I assume you're now in China...."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending