The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
banana_smoothie
i want a president : / whooo lets have a republic!

No. Just no.

I imagine there are mock ups of Charles on a bank note ready to go straight into use, and the old money will be gradually phased out as with the Elgar £20. That only took 3 years.
Reply 41
Chocothunder
:hippie: Yeah totally, man. Let's stick it to the man. We don't want anyone at the top of this pyramid which the man calls 'society'. We should change it to be a circle, where we're all equal and can all do as we please. Then we could spend all day sitting on a patch of grass, strumming nonchalantly at a guitar, wearing a short-sleeved T-shirt over a long-sleeved T-shirt, saying how we love life even more now that we're free.

Haha, just kidding! Kiss my monarch-tastic behind, you filthy Communist hippy! Ahahaha! :hat:

Yeah man I completely agree! Let's continue to have a monarchy that hasn't done a single. *******. thing. since the 1800s. It's a waste of taxpayer's money (£22k we pay the monarchy every day according to Private Eye), and there is absolutely no need for it beyond "tradition."
B1G CUP \_/
Naa it will be changed to "God save us"

:toofunny:
Reply 43
He could probably pull it off as well.
Reply 44
joey!
Yeah man I completely agree! Let's continue to have a monarchy that hasn't done a single. *******. thing. since the 1800s. It's a waste of taxpayer's money (£22k we pay the monarchy every day according to Private Eye), and there is absolutely no need for it beyond "tradition."

Rather conservative. It costs us £40m a year. Bargain since £200 million goes to the treasury in return for that £40m. The cost argument doesn't work. What would a President do anyway? European parliamentary republic Presidents do sod all, probably less than the Queen.
They should skip over Charles and go straight to William.

By the time the Queen gives up power, we're only gonna have ten years of Charles at the most.

Plus Charles has some pretty crazy opinions and beliefs. It's not the Monarchy's job to think anymore, all they have to do is shut up and wave.
joey!

Well I don't pay tax, so I think the monarchy is a jolly good idea, even more so because it irritates simple people, hippies, Communists and the poor.
You're a miserable bunch. Given that the overwhelming majority of the population of the United Kingdom have only ever known one monarch - Queen Elizabeth II - perhaps it's not such a stupid question?

Yes, it is on google. Yes, it is 'obvious'. But cut the google-able and obvious threads out and you're not left with very many threads on here, are you?

As for those of you who are committed republicans: Do you really think there's an appetite for a career politician Head of State and an army of arselicker henchmen? Of course there isn't.
Reply 48
Well people will be singing 'God save the Quing' for a while, and the King will hope that it'll die down eventually.

I wish him the best of luck with that one... :teehee: :ninja:
Reply 49
AnythingButChardonnay

As for those of you who are committed republicans: Do you really think there's an appetite for a career politician Head of State and an army of arselicker henchmen? Of course there isn't.

This is the precise reason no major political party in the UK even would dare suggest republicanism. The Greens are about as close as we've got to a republican party.
Reply 50
Teh User
Rather conservative. It costs us £40m a year. Bargain since £200 million goes to the treasury in return for that £40m. The cost argument doesn't work. What would a President do anyway? European parliamentary republic Presidents do sod all, probably less than the Queen.

I didn't say a thing about presidents. Just scrap the monarchy and use our existing government.
Hafsaay
Well people will be singing 'God save the Quing' for a while, and the King will hope that it'll die down eventually.

I wish him the best of luck with that one... :teehee: :ninja:

I believe so.

Though skipping Charles may not be a bad idea, means we'll likely have Queen Kate whatsherface, rather than Queen Camilla, which I hope we can all agree would be a much better thing.
Reply 52
Sure it used to be King anyway... You kinda hav to change it according to the gender of the monarchy..??
Reply 53
the real question is... why the **** did i read this entire thing.
AcademiCheese
the real question is... why the **** did i read this entire thing.

You have no life?
Would change to king.
Although I hope we change anthem all together, the current one is crap.
Reply 58
joey!
I didn't say a thing about presidents. Just scrap the monarchy and use our existing government.

So the PM would be head of state?
Teh User
No. Just no.

I imagine there are mock ups of Charles on a bank note ready to go straight into use, and the old money will be gradually phased out as with the Elgar £20. That only took 3 years.

Am I the only one who still harbours a bitter resentment to the end of Elgar?

Latest

Trending

Trending