The Student Room Group

Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course (SKE) ANYONE DONE ONE?

Scroll to see replies

Hi - Maybe your question is addressed to Thatlostone. However having been to interviews at both places it seems the SKE courses are quite different. At Hull they focus at first on the GCSE syllabus for the first few months and then go onto the A-level syllabus. They study 2 full days and 2 half days - so it looks much more gentle than Sheffield Hallam which is at first year degree level. It seems you need be around for most of the day Mon to Thu and the Fridays in a local school. There's also a couple of essays to write and subjects such as the History of Maths I believe. Sheffield Hallam also provide an undergraduate certificate, which I thought useful as it shows you have studied the subject at degree level. I would feel safer with the Hull course, but the Sheffield Hallam course looks more interesting to me albeit hard work and I also would much prefer to live in the Sheffield area. I only did GCSE level maths myself and some in my sciences (ecology) degree (mainly statistics) a long time ago. I've been working through an AS level book and seem to be able to follow things OK, so I'm trusting my decision - seems like I'm going to have to work much harder than Hull though. I think both places will interview you if you apply - and there may well be vacant places to begin this September (and in the case of Hull in November for the SKE).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edwardthe12th
Hi - Maybe your question is addressed to Thatlostone. However having been to interviews at both places it seems the SKE courses are quite different. At Hull they focus at first on the GCSE syllabus for the first few months and then go onto the A-level syllabus. They study 2 full days and 2 half days - so it looks much more gentle than Sheffield Hallam which is at first year degree level. It seems you need be around for most of the day Mon to Thu and the Fridays in a local school. There's also a couple of essays to write and subjects such as the History of Maths I believe. Sheffield Hallam also provide an undergraduate certificate, which I thought useful as it shows you have studied the subject at degree level. I would feel safer with the Hull course, but the Sheffield Hallam course looks more interesting to me albeit hard work and I also would much prefer to live in the Sheffield area. I only did GCSE level maths myself and some in my sciences (ecology) degree (mainly statistics) a long time ago. I've been working through an AS level book and seem to be able to follow things OK, so I'm trusting my decision - seems like I'm going to have to work much harder than Hull though. I think both places will interview you if you apply - and there may well be vacant places to begin this September (and in the case of Hull in November for the SKE).

Thank you for that... That's really useful :smile: are you applying next year then?
I'm beginning at Sheffield Hallam next month!
can u tell me how to apply
Original post by linkdapink
May I ask you... are you doing your PGCE place at Sheffield too? Or is it at Hallam? And how you applied for this? I'm having a bit of a nightmare applying for the SKE in Maths at Hallam... they just haven't got back to me at all, and I'm trying to find someone who has had a similar experience with this!

I began the maths PGCE at Sheffield Hallam and didn't like it all and so transferred to Hull University (who had previously offered me a place) which began two months later.

I attended for the first 3 weeks only. Basically there were only two SKE students. The SKE students there are combined with students doing the first year of a degree in maths education (with QTS), so I was together with about 36 18-year-olds who had just finished their A-levels. I actually don't have an A-level, so I was constantly have to do loads of reading on my own to understand the lessons which are at first year degree level. One teacher was particularly difficult to follow as he would launch into some maths without setting much context. I couldn't follow any one of his lessons and then decided enough was enough.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't done an A-level. I also felt like a number there rather than teachers having a personal interest in me. Very different at Hull which began in November and finishes 3 weeks from now. There they cover the GCSE syllabus and a good proportion of the A-level syllabus. Students range from 20s to 50s.

At Hallam, the other only SKE student left a few weeks after me. He was early 20s and had an A-level maths. So this academic year they've had no SKE students at all! It doesn't surprise me that you don't get much answer from them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zoelaylee
Hi,

Did you struggle with it? So would you recommend someone who hasn't done A level maths but with a good GCSE grade in it and with some background in Statistics (A-level Psychology) although not in my degree subject to apply for Sheffield Hallam and Hull?

I would avoid Sheffield Hallam without an A-level. I don't possess an A-level and found the gaps in my knowledge were simply to great. I transferred to Hull where I get very good marks.

At Hallam you will also be combined with first year undergrads in maths education, who have all recently completed an A-level maths.
Hi,Would it be bad to re-open this thread? I'm hopefully going to be accepted to do D
I did an SKE in computers at Edge Hill. I was put on the course that was already half way through, I got no support on what I was supposed to do or even what work I was supposed to hand in, at the end of the course the tutor didn't even explain how or where I was to hand the work in and made no attempt to take my late entry into consideration. The work I did hand in disappeared when my computer account was as deleted. If you do a PGCE at Edge Hill don't start the SKE late. Obviously, you can guess that I didn't get accepted on the PGCE course even though I passed the maths and English sklls test and got a DBS.
I have just completed one online. I find it very relevant in enhancing the subject knowledge and developing skills. The course suggest to invest between 20-25 hours a week, I will be honest with you, I have put more hours to finish it in 8 weeks. So my advice is to be prepared to do more hours then suggested. You will get feed up with it because it’s too long but you get there eventually. The course will teach you more skills than ever but there are a lot of reflections to do. If you are not familiar with reflecting on subject please train or research how to do it, it’s very important.Don’t waste anytime, just apply for it ASAP. If you are already started on the PGCE, the course is funded and you don’t get paid for doing it, but if you have not started your PGCE, you get paid for doing it as well as the course being funded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending