The Student Room Group

Voluntary work in elderly care home for medicine - what to expect?

So I've just secured a voluntary placement at a local elderly care home, what kind of jobs will I be doing? Has anyone done a similar work, what did you do, and what was it like?
Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Well for starters expect old people. Crochety, hard of hearing but won't admit it, even deaf and won't admit it, smell of wee and so on.

Seriously, expect dogsbody stuff - serving drinks, clearing up, changing beds, helping someone to the toilet maybe.
And the good stuff - people's experiences from well before you were born. Get them talking and you can have a friend for life. :smile:
Seriously, there are worse places to go on placement to.
Reply 2
Yep it's pretty much what the last poster said. I've worked in a tonne of these places during my nurse training, they're not all bad :smile: Old people are pretty cool and you can have a laugh with the majority of them. You'll probably find that you'll be feeding people - as a lot of them can't do it themselves, assisting with washing and getting dressed, helping people to the toilets - that sorta thing.
I tried to split my time and spend a couple of days with the HCA's doing hands-on stuff like washing, feeding etc. Then I'd spend a couple of days with the nurses doing the 'nursey' stuff like doing meds, writing care plans, changing dressings, making referrals etc.

Nursing homes are normally quite chilled out, in my last one we played bingo with them in the afternoons, if it was sunny outside we'd take them out into the gardens to the smokers could have a fag and the demented ones could get a change of scenery etc.

I'm babbling now. I hope you enjoy it anyway!
Suziewuzie
Yep it's pretty much what the last poster said. I've worked in a tonne of these places during my nurse training, they're not all bad :smile: Old people are pretty cool and you can have a laugh with the majority of them. You'll probably find that you'll be feeding people - as a lot of them can't do it themselves, assisting with washing and getting dressed, helping people to the toilets - that sorta thing.
I tried to split my time and spend a couple of days with the HCA's doing hands-on stuff like washing, feeding etc. Then I'd spend a couple of days with the nurses doing the 'nursey' stuff like doing meds, writing care plans, changing dressings, making referrals etc.

Nursing homes are normally quite chilled out, in my last one we played bingo with them in the afternoons, if it was sunny outside we'd take them out into the gardens to the smokers could have a fag and the demented ones could get a change of scenery etc.

I'm babbling now. I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Thanks for the info!
Reply 4
I did this when I was 17, might have been cause' of age and lack of training but I didn't do anything hands on (which I was glad about)- just vacuuming, making tea, giving out biscuits, washing up, stuff like that.
curlpower
I did this when I was 17, might have been cause' of age and lack of training but I didn't do anything hands on (which I was glad about)- just vacuuming, making tea, giving out biscuits, washing up, stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm 16 so I'm not sure how much I will be expected to do. Frankly, I don't want to help someone go to the toilet, it would be weird. Then again, someone has to help them and its a kind thing to do.
thesalamander123
Yeah, I'm 16 so I'm not sure how much I will be expected to do. Frankly, I don't want to help someone go to the toilet, it would be weird. Then again, someone has to help them and its a kind thing to do.

If you're only 16, get ready for a lot of bed-making, washing up etc. It's difficult to give 16 year olds a lot of practical jobs to do, so probably you'll spend a lot of time talking/playing board games with them.
miniaturexhero
If you're only 16, get ready for a lot of bed-making, washing up etc. It's difficult to give 16 year olds a lot of practical jobs to do, so probably you'll spend a lot of time talking/playing board games with them.

Okay, gotta love board games :smile:
thesalamander123
Okay, gotta love board games :smile:

Playing bingo with dementia/hard-of-hearing residents is always fun (and you ALWAYS win :biggrin:)

I worked in a care home for a year (my gap year) and it's given be valuable insights into the jobs of nurses/HCAs...and taught me massive respect for people who get up at 6am to change someone's catheter bag for a living. Maybe ask if you can shadow a nurse/HCA - you'll prob just stand and watch, and you'll prob get in the way, but that's still how you feel in medical school so get used to it haha :smile:

So it'll be useful :smile:
Reply 9
You won't have to take anyone to the toilet don't worry, the experienced care assistants will deal with that, bathing, medication, etc. I don't even think you're allowed to feed the residents for legal reasons (maybe the home is liable if they choke or are diabetic and fed the wrong thing or something).
miniaturexhero
Playing bingo with dementia/hard-of-hearing residents is always fun (and you ALWAYS win :biggrin:)

I worked in a care home for a year (my gap year) and it's given be valuable insights into the jobs of nurses/HCAs...and taught me massive respect for people who get up at 6am to change someone's catheter bag for a living. Maybe ask if you can shadow a nurse/HCA - you'll prob just stand and watch, and you'll prob get in the way, but that's still how you feel in medical school so get used to it haha :smile:

So it'll be useful :smile:

Just googled catheter bag and it doesn't look like these nurses have a very pleasant job! And you're right, it must be a 24/7 operation
thesalamander123
Just googled catheter bag and it doesn't look like these nurses have a very pleasant job! And you're right, it must be a 24/7 operation

I'm completely immune to gross things now. It was definitely a useful year!
Reply 12
thesalamander123

Did you have to get CRB checked? Because I remember applying like last October but because I was still 15, I was too young to be CRB checked. But they never told me how old I should be so I'm stuck wondering if I'm old enough to reapply yet and I don't want to come across like I'm pestering the care home for a placement. :o:
lemony :)
Did you have to get CRB checked? Because I remember applying like last October but because I was still 15, I was too young to be CRB checked. But they never told me how old I should be so I'm stuck wondering if I'm old enough to reapply yet and I don't want to come across like I'm pestering the care home for a placement. :o:

I think 16. Why not call them and ask?
yup i did work experience in an elderly home. I'm not 16 and I don't know if you are but because of that I couldn't really do anything to help with the actual care. You definitely wont be asked to do anything gross. I made A LOT of tea, I did jigsaw pudzles with the residents, I talked to them and I went to find the ones that got lost when it was time for a meal. I also handed out laundry and things like that. A lot of it is just talking really. And one time this sweet but confused elderly lady wanted to brush someone's hair so I let her brush mine. It can be fun :smile:
RoadWarrior
I think 16. Why not call them and ask?

it's 18 to be CRB checked
IPlayThePiccolo
it's 18 to be CRB checked

You can actually be CRB checked from the age of 10. Not sure in what circumstances you would need that though.
fluteflute
You can actually be CRB checked from the age of 10. Not sure in what circumstances you would need that though.

I'm wrong it's 16. I'm confused
This is not about this subject it's just I would to volunteer to sing in a dementia home etc I am old but fit(ish) and love singing rock /country and western and and also will give any kind of help possible.so if any body can help please let me know I would love to join a amiture singing outfit in the leeds area best regards Walt

N

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending