Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Again, shock horror, the aesthete within you comes to the fore. Football is a results business, not a performance business. Mind you, i'm not surprised you think it's the former, you're still crying about Barca losing to Inter last season.

I did watch the match, actually, and I seen nothing to be lauded. Dominating a team means nothing without a positive result [a win].
    Embarrasing.

It's a bloody friendly, with a new manager the importance is getting the team to play well together and find an identity. Results are important sure, but they are not the be all in games where it doesn't have an effect.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Performances in friendlies matters much more than results and especially with a new manager.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys been in Rome, any interesting developments I should know about?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Performances in friendlies matters much more than results and especially with a new manager.
    I thought that, that was always the point of friendlies..to try out new stuff and to see who works well together, not the actual result..no?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Embarrasing.

It's a bloody friendly, with a new manager the importance is getting the team to play well together and find an identity. Results are important sure, but they are not the be all in games where it doesn't have an effect.
    Just like you negging me for calling you what you are; an aesthete.

Yes, the result is not that important due to it being a friendly but I seen nothing in it to make teams shake with fear if they get drawn against Argie. They will get beaten by any team with a decent manager, in competitive fixtures. They will bomb in the Copa this summer, leading to yet another change of manager. Find an identity? Copy Barca is what you meant to say.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Just like you negging me for calling you what you are; an aesthete.

Yes, the result is not that important due to it being a friendly but I seen nothing in it to make teams shake with fear if they get drawn against Argie. They will get beaten by any team with a decent manager, in competitive fixtures. They will bomb in the Copa this summer, leading to yet another change of manager. Find an identity? Copy Barca is what you meant to say.
    No negging you for saying silly things such as

you're still crying about Barca losing to Inter last season.
    When after the game I said Inter deserved to go through :rolleyes:

Copy Barca? don't be silly. You couldn't copy them even if you tried your hardest.

Nobody is saying Argentina are world beaters, but they are still a very good team. You claim we overrate them whereas you berate them for being nothing special when they've just got a new manager. Some perspective would be nice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Nice little video charting a group of Taiwanese boys overcoming a lack of physical ground to play on to become one of the country's most succesful youth football teams.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)

Nice little video charting a group of Taiwanese boys overcoming a lack of physical ground to play on to become one of the country's most succesful youth football teams.
    What a wonderful story I tell you what the view of the place they are playing in is stunning, the thought of a stadium floating in that place :coma:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ajax has generally been in disarray for the past few days as Johann Cruyff (supported by Dennis Bergkamp and Wim Jonk) had a major falling out with the directors. Eventually Cruyff has come out on top, unsurprisingly given his status at the club, and the chairman and two directors have stepped down. Cruyff wanted a major rethink of the organisation and there's talk (and by talk I mean fanciful dreams of an Ajax supporting friend..) of De Boer and Overmars joining Ajax in the management structure somewhere. Apparently Overmars is a successful businessman having retired and has reversed the fortunes of a near bankrupt lower league club who are now on the verge of promotion..
    Crazy dutchmen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Real Madrid have stopped playing Shakira's music at the Bernabeu :teehee:

Is anybody winning more than Gerard Pique :awesome:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Police have foiled an attempt to blow up Dortmunds 80k stadium on the weekend during their game with Hannover. Explosives found nearby.

Scary news that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you guys, know Arda Turan but he's more than likely to leave Galatasaray in the summer. We are doing really badly in the league, and he's stated that he wants to leave to a premier league club. Chelsea and Arsenal along with Tottenham and Liverpool are supposedly interested, in any case he'd be a welcome addition to any of these clubs.

He's by far hands down the most technical and creative midfielder we have, albeit he's more suited to a wide role down the left but on his day he can make miracles happen.

He scored against Austria a few days ago.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are people not worried about the impact of having a former legend behind the scenes? This could be an example of how it could go wrong..
    Clicky
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I don't know if you guys, know Arda Turan but he's more than likely to leave Galatasaray in the summer. We are doing really badly in the league, and he's stated that he wants to leave to a premier league club. Chelsea and Arsenal along with Tottenham and Liverpool are supposedly interested, in any case he'd be a welcome addition to any of these clubs.

He's by far hands down the most technical and creative midfielder we have, albeit he's more suited to a wide role down the left but on his day he can make miracles happen.

He scored against Austria a few days ago.

But that goal was so offside? lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    But that goal was so offside? lol
    You can't be offside if its from a throw in, goal kick, or corner.

Here are a few more things to remember.
    You can't be offside if:
    You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
    You are in your own half of the pitch
    You are level with the second last or last two opponents
    You are level with or behind the ball
    You are not actively involved in play, as explained above
    For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free-kick to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    You can't be offside if its from a throw in, goal kick, or corner.

Here are a few more things to remember.
    You can't be offside if:
    You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
    You are in your own half of the pitch
    You are level with the second last or last two opponents
    You are level with or behind the ball

You are not actively involved in play, as explained above
    For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free-kick to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.
    I know those already..but I didnt know that you could not be offside from a throw-in..!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    You must have a good memory to remember all those variations.....
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Milan derby should be exciting but certainly not decisive in the title race.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Massively contributory to the title race though?

Hopefully I'll have time to watch at least a half.

I've briefly read a few blogs and the expected teams appear to be:

Abbiati

Abate Nesta T.Silva Zambrotta

Gattuso Seedorf Flamini

Boateng

Pato Robinho

v

Julio Cesar

Maicon Ranocchia Chivu Zanetti

Cambiasso Motta Stankovic

Sneijder

Pazzini Eto'o
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty confident Inter will win tonight.

Milan were very lucky in the first derby of the season, and Inter are much stronger now. I'm a little worried about having Chivu at the back, but they don't have Ibrafaggot so I think we'll be ok
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.