Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Seeing as there is no football bar the odd friendlies I decided to start watching the U19 Euro's after the Calvente penalty. Spain vs England today and Spain won 3-1 with a dominant performance. Pachecho of Liverpool along with Keko and Canales scored whilst for England Bostock scored for England.

Spain are going through some sort of footballing dynasty atm, their U19 by the performance I've seen today will replace the current team in a few years time with relative ease, they took the piss out of England many times today and their third goal summed it up.

:coma: Alcantara and Canales are the **** when they combine, a Barca-Madrid connection has never been so delicious :sexface:
    Fabregas is going to retire Xavi but Thiago is going to retire both of them at the same time. I wonder what the **** they feed them at La Masia to produce midfielder like that all the time. It's ridiculous, it's just one after another one...

Back to the transfer circus. It seems that Madrid and Inter have finally reached an agreement (says the spanish and italian press) for Maicon (€28m. and €7m. pay). Plus Khedeira (and some say that Ozil aswell), we are not covering the left back leak that we had last year, so it would look something like that:

.................Casillas....... ........
    Maicon.....Ramos....Pepe.....Mar celo
    ..............Xabi.....Kedeira.. ..............
    CR7............Kaka/Ozil/Canales......Di Maria
    ..................Higuain....... .................

Not bad, not bad at all. Very good defence (I only hope that Mourinho teaches Marcelo to defend), and what amazing wings: CR7-Maicon :sogood: and Marcelo-Di Maria. I still don't see Kaka as a prospect link, I really hope Canales makes an impression.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dission)
    Fabregas is going to retire Xavi but Thiago is going to retire both of them at the same time. I wonder what the **** they feed them at La Masia to produce midfielder like that all the time. It's ridiculous, it's just one after another one...

Back to the transfer circus. It seems that Madrid and Inter have finally reached an agreement (says the spanish and italian press) for Maicon (€28m. and €7m. pay). Plus Khedeira (and some say that Ozil aswell), we are not covering the left back leak that we had last year, so it would look something like that:

.................Casillas....... ........
    Maicon.....Ramos....Pepe.....Mar celo
    ..............Xabi.....Kedeira.. ..............
    CR7............Kaka/Ozil/Canales......Di Maria
    ..................Higuain....... .................

Not bad, not bad at all. Very good defence (I only hope that Mourinho teaches Marcelo to defend), and what amazing wings: CR7-Maicon :sogood: and Marcelo-Di Maria. I still don't see Kaka as a prospect link, I really hope Canales makes an impression.
    It's very suprising that a defensive manager like Mourinho doesn't want to get a new LB, Marcelo is a wingback at best and Madrid do need an LB, even ahead of an RB.

Canalase looks like the business tbh, pretty funny that on current form I'd start him ahead of Kaka.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    It's very suprising that a defensive manager like Mourinho doesn't want to get a new LB, Marcelo is a wingback at best and Madrid do need an LB, even ahead of an RB.
    Defintely, Ramos showed in the WC that he can be a top right back if he´s focused, but it seems like Mourinho is obsessed with Maicon and prefers to play Sergio as CB. The LB position should have been the priority and we have ran out of options (Concentrao to Bayern, Felipe Luis to Atletico, Kholarov to City). Using Marcelo and Arbeola as patches is a risky thought, we are going to get ****** in that wing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise Coentrao was linked with Bayern.

In related news Real Madrid's youth left-back Marcos Alonso has finally signed for Bolton :yeah:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is Raul Albiol not being played anymore?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diego Maradona will not continue as Argentina coach after the association's executive committee unanimously agreed not to renew his contract.

Maradona met with the Argentinian Football Association (AFA) president Julio Grondona on Monday in a bid to resolve his future, with reports suggesting a new four-year deal was on the table. The 49-year-old, who took over as coach in October 2008, had said he would sign the contract as long as his entire backroom staff were retained.

Grondona revealed details of the talks to his board today and the AFA have confirmed they have decided not to renew Maradona's contract.

A brief statement on the AFA website read: "The president of the Argentinian Football Association, Mr Julio Grondona, made the members of the executive committee aware of the conversation with Mr Diego Maradona, setting out the points which had come out from the meeting.

"The executive committee unanimously resolved not to renew the contract with Mr Diego Maradona as coach of the Argentina national football team."

Grondona denied that Maradona had been sacked, but confirmed that differences over the make up of his staff led to a parting of ways. "It is difficult to agree," Grondona said. "The hardest difference to agree on was changing some of Diego's staff. Nobody has been sacked. A contract has not been extended because the conditions were not the suitable."

Among those the AFA were reportedly unhappy with was Alejandro Mancuso, Maradona's assistant and one of his closest friends. Grondona admitted the situation has left him disappointed. "When you cannot agree with somebody you love, you are not happy at all. I always want to talk to him, but sometimes it is difficult because this is not the best moment."

Other AFA board members appeared less saddened by the situation, however. General secretary Jose Luis Meiszner told cable channel C5N: "I would be hypocrite if I didn't admit there was a general disliking of several aspects of the cycle that ended with the World Cup. We did not see any intention to show humility, to say things should have been done better. There was no evaluation, no review, no conclusions. These are the things you have to think about in order to think about the future."

Luis Segura, a member of the executive committee and former secretary of national teams, added: "He made it too difficult for us. He rejected all changes. Diego said he did not want any changes. That's unfair."

AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo told reporters there were "unbridgeable differences" with Maradona, who led Argentina to World Cup victory as captain in 1986 and is adored by Argentines, dozens of whom launched a protest last night outside the AFA headquarters in Buenos Aires.

Argentina's next game is a friendly against Ireland on 11 August in Dublin, and current Under-20 boss Sergio Batista has been placed in temporary charge for that fixture.

Batista, who took Argentina's Under-23 side to gold at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, will take charge of a squad which was picked by Maradona and contains 17 of the 23-man World Cup group.

Newcastle United defender Fabricio Coloccini, Manchester City's Pablo Zabaleta and Liverpool's Emiliano Insua all return to the squad, while Midfielders Fernando Gago, Jesus Datolo and Ever Banega, and forward Ezequiel Lavezzi also return for the first match to be played at the new Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

"The list of players for the Ireland match was built by Maradona, but the team will be coached by Batista," Bialo said.

"Maradona's requirements were very far from the FA's possibilities. For the match against Spain, scheduled for 7 September, we may already have the new coach."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...entina-manager
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The qualification stage just showed how incapable he was, at least they've fired him before the Copa.
    • 23 followers

(Original post by Barça)
    The qualification stage just showed how incapable he was, at least they've fired him before the Copa.
    Yeah. Too bad, guess the world will never see Maradona naked.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maradona's gone as the coach for now but I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina were coach-less and the WC in 2014 was nearby that he'd return if asked. Knowing his battle with Pele, the chance to win the WC as coach in his enemy's own back yard will be too big a carrot for crazy Diego to turn down, he'll be back in 2014 IMO.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Raul has left Real for Schalke. Legend.

Also Khadera has gone from Stuttgart to Real Madrid for reportedly just £12.5m. Outrageously cheap!! That, and I cant believe Im saying this about Real, could prove to be the signing of the summer.
    • 23 followers

Yep. Khedira is off to Madrid. For once Perez might have made a rational decision. Great signing.

Mourinho now awaits Maicon.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Khedira only had a year left on his contract didn't he? Goes some way to explain the fee, as well as him saying he only wanted to join Madrid.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean M.Diarra leaving then?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    Does that mean M.Diarra leaving then?
    He has been getting offered out for ridiculously low sums supposedly. About £3m the last I heard.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    He has been getting offered out for ridiculously low sums supposedly. About £3m the last I heard.
    L.Diarra + Khadira should be enough cover for them. We should go in for M.Diarra :woo:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    L.Diarra + Khadira should be enough cover for them. We should go in for M.Diarra :woo:
    I said the same :teehee: He might not even want L. Diarra after shipping him out of Chelsea so perhaps we could try and tickle him out as well :unsure:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I propose Liverpool take Stilyan Petrov and Villa replace him with Lassana Diarra :holmes:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    He was world class when he played for Lyon although I don't what's happened to him now, has he been benchwarming since his arrival at Real?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I propose Liverpool take Stilyan Petrov and Villa replace him with Lassana Diarra :holmes:
    Stan's a sainted man, don't diss him.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Stan's a sainted man, don't diss him.
    He's a piece of ****
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.