Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see Argentina managed to get a win. About time.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yh, it was a decent match. Burdisso obtained a horrible looking knee injury. He's gonna be out for 6 months according to reports.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Yay, bit of an up and down game though with them edging back into it a couple of times! Bosnia didn't pass an awful lot but when they went forward a couple of times they looked dangerous and you know what we're like lately so i never felt safe until Postiga scored his first to make it 4-2.

Ronaldo's free kick was brilliant, then Nani beat that by scoring a great goal, the pen for them was silly and although Fab seemed to be pushed a little his hand was up which is always risky. Good 2nd Ronaldo goal which was from a beautful Joao pass. There 2nd was offside, it wasn't even a close offside, stupid goal to let in though! I'm happy Postiga scored two, he got criticised a lot after Fridays game and his first goal was a decent goal. I'm also glad Veloso has been given a couple of games, he's deserved to and he put in a good performance tonight with a nice free kick. Then Postiga just finished it off. Micael was sooooo close to scoring just after that, that would have been quite funny if it went in.

Also, Dzeko...He deserved that yellow card purely for just being an absolute dick when it was 3-2!

Did you watch any of the interviews after the game on RTP? When they were outside the Luz and the fans went absolutely crazy and the reporter guy just got completely lost in it all. That was pretty funny.

Anyway, great scene at the end with them all singing and then topped off with Figooooo giving an interview..
    Nooooo... I didnt see any of that RTP went into an advert break and I thought they had finished their transmission of the game >_<

Veloso was good, surprisingly. Postiga was also good, but I'm hoping to see Nelson Oliveira get more chances like Rodrigo and hopefully see him make the Euro squad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I see Argentina managed to get a win. About time.

(Original post by 419)
    Yh, it was a decent match. Burdisso obtained a horrible looking knee injury. He's gonna be out for 6 months according to reports.
    South America qualifying zone looks to be the most exciting of them all and with the possibility of 6 teams qualifying (that would be 60% or three fifths of the entire continent on show), that really is going to motivate. I would still back Uruguay to actually win the group as they do seem to have got a consistent bunch together, Argentina have at least won a difficult match but can be inconsistent so second place it is. As for the others, would anyone dare to guess? Surely, Venezuela won't do it?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Nooooo... I didnt see any of that RTP went into an advert break and I thought they had finished their transmission of the game >_<

Veloso was good, surprisingly. Postiga was also good, but I'm hoping to see Nelson Oliveira get more chances like Rodrigo and hopefully see him make the Euro squad.
    Ha, yeah RTP usually do that, the ref blows the final whistle and before you know it comes up with "Publicidade" and a whole load of rubbish comes up. RTP did go off though but it went straight to this guy talking which showed all the scenes at the end with them singing the national anthem (and Pepe going crazy!) and then all the interviews.

With Paulo Bento they probably won't get called up. Postiga needs to be more consistant, he needs more games like yesterday and not once in a blue moon. Hopefully he'll carry on for Zaragoza how he's been and he can perform like that again, still a while to wait now though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The highlights of the Germany-Netherlands game yesterday, definitely something to watch:

• 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those were some sexy goals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those goals were dirtier than my search history jeeeez
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catilina)
    The highlights of the Germany-Netherlands game yesterday, definitely something to watch:

Klose is timeless, wonderful header and layoff of for Muller.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, why didn't we go for Klose in the summer.

He was out of contract as well.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're great to watch. So much depth in the attacking positions, Muller, Ozil, Podolski, Gotze, Kroos etc, and you're probably only gonna get 3 of them on the pitch at once. If Gomez continues playing like he is, then with Schweinsteiger running things and the Bayern connection at the back I think they're my pick for the Euros at the moment.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    South America qualifying zone looks to be the most exciting of them all and with the possibility of 6 teams qualifying (that would be 60% or three fifths of the entire continent on show), that really is going to motivate. I would still back Uruguay to actually win the group as they do seem to have got a consistent bunch together, Argentina have at least won a difficult match but can be inconsistent so second place it is. As for the others, would anyone dare to guess? Surely, Venezuela won't do it?
    I agree with you on backing Uruguay: with no Brazil, and Argentina being inconsistent, Uruguay could be easily favourites.

Six teams qualify? So Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile...Ecuador? And maybe Venezuela?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voodoomagic)
    Klose is timeless, wonderful header and layoff of for Muller.
    He is top, top class. A sure pick for the German side next year. Do they play two up front, because both him and Gomez are in very, very good form.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you on backing Uruguay: with no Brazil, and Argentina being inconsistent, Uruguay could be easily favourites.

Six teams qualify? So Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile...Ecuador? And maybe Venezuela?
    It'll be six if the fifth place team wins the play-off. Brazil are included in that six.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It'll be six if the fifth place team wins the play-off. Brazil are included in that six.
    Ah yes, of course. I forgot about the necessity of a play off.
    • 34 followers

As expected, Hiddink has left the Turkey job by mutual consent after failing to qualify for the Euros.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    So who do we think the rumours of him going to will be?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It'll be someone who has qualified for the Euros.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spain lost to England, they're probably looking for a new coach :beard:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Yep, this time (with Brazil there automatically) we get the top four qualifying and the fifth place team is in a play-off this time against an Asian team. The other intercontinental play-off involving the 4th team from North America against Oceania.

Six to qualify - I have to admit I have not been too convoinced with Chile at the moment - even more inconsistent than Argentina and Paraguay have been so boring and this time not really taken off. But there seems to be a mentality where anybody can beat anybody. Peru and Colombia in with a chance or not? Last chance for Claudio Pizarro to appear in a World Cup, and a chance to see if Juan Vargas really is one the best left-backs in the world?
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.