Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stramaccioni gets off to a winning start as Inter beat Genoa 5-4.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    ^ I would've said a draw was probably a fair result in that game, Braga did a great job of stifling your attack, particularly in the first half. It's not like you'd created chance after chance that Braga got away with or you had decisions go against you. I'd actually say they looked more dangerous on the counter than you did with periods of possession. No doubt it was a thrilling ending but I felt more sympathy for them than I felt pleased for your lot.

Well, you'd expect a counter-attacking tactic from smaller teams who come to the Estadio da Luz to grind out a draw, not from a Braga who are fighting for the title. Braga are a good team, thats why their counter-attacks looked more dangerous than the usual smaller teams, but they didn't show any initiative to win the match. We had plenty of shots ourselves (maybe none as clear-cut as that Mossoro header, but still) and dominated most of the possession. Deserved.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Well, you'd expect a counter-attacking tactic from smaller teams who come to the Estadio da Luz to grind out a draw, not from a Braga who are fighting for the title. Braga are a good team, thats why their counter-attacks looked more dangerous than the usual smaller teams, but they didn't show any initiative to win the match. We had plenty of shots ourselves (maybe none as clear-cut as that Mossoro header, but still) and dominated most of the possession. Deserved.
    A draw would have suited them though, it'd keep them ahead of you and put them within a point of Porto ahead of next week's game. They'd then have to get 3 points at home and continue the streak through to be crowned champion's - now they need to rely on you slipping up.

I certainly wouldn't say they set up for a draw anyway and particularly in the second half - even before going a goal down, the game opened up more and they looked the better side. You had the majority of possession but I wouldn't say you dominated throughout the game and the shots you speak of count for little unless they actually threaten. The Mossoro header you mention was one clear cut chance but Lima's clip onto the top of the bar and Viana's long ranger which skimmed the top of the net were better than most things you created too from what I remember. I think you could have felt aggrieved had you lost it and I wouldn't say the win was particularly undeserved, but had it ended in a draw I don't think you could claim that was particularly unfair/unlucky either. :dontknow:

Congrats on the win anyway, without the CL I can see you pushing on well from here, next week's fixtures look so tasty, I reckon they'll be very telling in the final outcome.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Olhanense were disappointing considering they played like monsters against us last week..

Well, anyway, what a match! We fully deserved that because Braga just defended and time-wasted all match, only playing on the counter-attack.

Tbh, I was getting worried that we weren't scoring despite our domination, but thankfully we got the penalty to break the deadlock.. I still expected Braga to come up with something because we're useless at defending leads, but GODDAMN am I glad we got that last minute winner. Celebrated it like mad.

It seems Miguel Vitor is ALSO injured now, he was playing so well and it was his chance to show all his ability.. very disappointed he's out

JJ talked about putting Emerson at centre-back against Chelsea, which is a recipe for disaster.. it will be extremely tough for us to beat Chelsea like this.
    Capdevila has been excellent every time he's been called up lately, especially compared to Emerson.. I really wish JJ would play him more often..

Anyway... All that we need now is for Braga to draw against Porto and for Benfica to win their match.
    I feel a little sorry for Braga. How they have been playing lately and their fantastic little run they got themselves on and then to lose to a 92nd minute goal. They were a lot more chances for both teams in the 2nd half though. I think Braga would have been happy to take a draw once they got it back to 1-1 but they could have taken all 3 points. They had their moments of counter-attacking though where they looked like they might have got something out of it and Artur saved you. Mossoro had a few chances to score as well, especially the chance just before the penalty, that could have made it all different to make it 1-0 Braga. A few wasted opportunities from Braga.

Bit of a problem with Vitor out injured. And Cap should leave in the summer, coming to the end of his career and wasting away. JJ has been a knob to him. I don't know exactly what went on but the guy should be getting more games!

I was hoping Nuno Gomes would score when he came on. It would have been a great story if he scored the equaliser or winner.

I’m still not dropping Braga from this title race though. All it takes is for you to lose to Sporting and Porto lose to Braga and then they’ll be back on top. It wouldn’t surprise me if that happens, it would just fit into this crazy season! Big weekend though for this league. Hopefully on Saturday Maritimo beat Nacional in the derby, followed by Porto picking up 3 points against Braga and then Sporting beating you lot on the Monday. Peeeerfect!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every time the camera went to Stramaccioni I realised what a weird chin that guy has. It’s like someone has stabbed his chin with a pencil or something.

Crazy game, only caught the last 20 minutes or so just before Zarate scored a beautiful goal. 4 pens, two reds and 9 goals.. I don’t think Stramaccioni will ever forget his first game in charge.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Stramaccioni gets off to a winning start as Inter beat Genoa 5-4.
    I'm glad he started off with a win. The Nerazzurri need to stick with him, and back him in the summer transfer window. The side needs rejuvenating, too much dead-wood. Thing is their owner probably won't stick with it, will get itchy fingers once Stram loses a few games, and sack him. I hope not.

Udinese slipped up today at Siena. I think their out of the third place race.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    I'm glad he started off with a win. The Nerazzurri need to stick with him, and back him in the summer transfer window. The side needs rejuvenating, too much dead-wood. Thing is their owner probably won't stick with it, will get itchy fingers once Stram loses a few games, and sack him. I hope not.

Udinese slipped up today at Siena. I think their out of the third place race.
    Agreed, I really hope Stram gets a real shot at it. You could see his love for the players and the cub with his hugs with the players at the end of the match, in particular with Zanetti, Milito and Zarate.

I hope Moratti gives him a good transfer kitty in the summer to rebuild the squad with. The problem is attracting top players will be difficult due to no CL, but players know Inter is a top club, and I hope that can tip the balance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching the Spanish football highlights? Such a rocket from Ronaldo :coma:
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh Leprecaun)
    Anyone watching the Spanish football highlights? Such a rocket from Ronaldo :coma:
    Saw it yesterday. I think Benzema's was better, in all honesty, regarding technique.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Agreed, I really hope Stram gets a real shot at it. You could see his love for the players and the cub with his hugs with the players at the end of the match, in particular with Zanetti, Milito and Zarate.

I hope Moratti gives him a good transfer kitty in the summer to rebuild the squad with. The problem is attracting top players will be difficult due to no CL, but players know Inter is a top club, and I hope that can tip the balance.
    Yeah, I don't buy into the "No CL, no top players" argument when it comes to clubs like Inter. Massive clubs will always attract the best players. Inter is one such club. The prestige of being a player that comes in and gets Inter back into the CL is reward enough.

Zanetti has offered to leave if required to at the end of the season. He knows the old guards time is up, but of all of the old guard he's the one I'd keep for one more season. His leadership would be brilliant during a transitional season (which is what next season should be). I'm a Milan fan, but you cannot hate Zanetti.

(Original post by Welsh Leprecaun)
    I'll throw out a statistic for you. Since his last free-kick goal, its taken Ronaldo 40 attempts to score another one (the one against Osasuna). Not like him, but he makes up with it with rockets like his other goal.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen the table for La Liga? 8 games to go, top three have played 30 and look like this: 1 Real 78, 2 Barça 72, 3 Valencia 48.

Reeks of the ****ing SPL.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Anyone seen the table for La Liga? 8 games to go, top three have played 30 and look like this: 1 Real 78, 2 Barça 72, 3 Valencia 48.

Barcelona and Real will eventually have to change their attitude towards other clubs and give up their exclusive TV rights, otherwise their income will eventually decrease simply because people lose interest in a league with just 2 teams fighting for the title.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:

Sorry, but we have Motherwell, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone competing for the Champions League this year :awesome:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

As opposed to the EPL where only 2 sides have a realistic chance of winning the league.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matty-)
    As opposed to the EPL where only 2 sides have a realistic chance of winning the league.
    There are seven games to go in the PL, and at Christmas any of five teams could have grabbed the bull by the horns. The two horse race in La Liga was decided weeks and weeks ago.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Valencia have been absolutely dire since the winter break - they can't hold a lead, lack motivation and their overall play has been poor. They're not even guaranteed 3rd/4th, whereas before the break that was how it was looking.

Emery is a dead man walking at this point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone thinking ahead of Barcelona-Milan?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    What is everyone thinking ahead of Barcelona-Milan?
    I dunno Barcelona win i think but who knows? Supposedly Xavi may not play as hes being plagued with muscular problems. Although its not too disastrous since Fabregas can back up.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Antonio Cassano cleared to resume his career.

Great news - not entirely sure if he was included in Milan's CL squad or if he has any chance of making the bench tonight, but still, great news.
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.