Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
The Football forum needs another moderator! 19-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 12 followers

(Original post by CB91)
    Both of the ones at the San Siro were penalties. :lolwut:

And Milan were not in control at 1-1, they were lucky to still be in the match...
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Abbiati made some saves, sure, but you can't put that down to luck.

Barca were rattled by Milan's goal and looked unlikely to score again until the penalty was given.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Nope.

For the first one Alexis would not have reached the ball before Abbiati took him out, he knocked it too far in front of him.

For the second, yes Mesbah had a hold of Puyol's shirt. But it's not like he hauled him down, Puyol still got his diving header away. If anything, the ref should have ordered the corner to be taken again.
    It doesn't matter if Sanchez had already overran the ball. Abbiati still took him out. It was a definite pen imo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose14)
    It doesn't matter if Sanchez had already overran the ball. Abbiati still took him out. It was a definite pen imo.
    Wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Luck has nothing to do with it. Abbiati made some saves, sure, but you can't put that down to luck.

Barca were rattled by Milan's goal and looked unlikely to score again until the penalty was given.
    I think the fact that when I tried to thumbs up this post, it said this:

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

says it all. 100% correct.

That game was wide open, and yes Barcelona are the better team, but the better team does not always win and the referee robbed Milan of the chance to cause an upset.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it was a penalty its just those fouls are never given but this time it was and the ref was fine to give it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    I think it was a penalty its just those fouls are never given but this time it was and the ref was fine to give it.
    You cannot give this as a foul, if anything it was a foul on Nesta. Plus, the game wasn't even in action... Scandalous!

Don't believe me?

http://s4.as.com/prom/201204/pro_photo1333483180.jpg
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    You cannot give this as a foul, if anything it was a foul on Nesta. Plus, the game wasn't even in action... Scandalous!

Don't believe me?

http://s4.as.com/prom/201204/pro_photo1333483180.jpg
    Actually you can. Nesta even admitted he was tugging on Busquets. Also that picture just shows Puyol trying to separate the two. It was a foul on Busquets harsh but it was. Milan can feel hard done by in the fact of consistency that refs never really give it but by law its a foul.
    • 12 followers

Actually you can. Nesta even admitted he was tugging on Busquets. Also that picture just shows Puyol trying to separate the two. It was a foul on Busquets harsh but it was. Milan can feel hard done by in the fact of consistency that refs never really give it but by law its a foul.
    Puyol was wrestling with Nesta, trying to put him off marking Busquets. It was a foul by Puyol and a foul by Nesta - both almost the exact same, so why did it go in Barca's favour?

Rhetorical question ^.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Puyol actually was very sneaky, and pushes Nesta as to amplify the consequences of his actions. What annoys me more was the fact that the ball hadn't even been kicked yet... If anything, it is a retake of the corner.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nesta fouled Busquets first, then Puyol fouled Nesta......and some of you want Puyol to be penalised first before Nesta? :facepalm: [end this discussion]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We all know Barcelona get the decisions in Europe by now
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Nesta fouled Busquets first, then Puyol fouled Nesta......and some of you want Puyol to be penalised first before Nesta? :facepalm: [end this discussion]
    The fact that some people are trying to say it wasnt is just :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    I want neither of them to be penalised if anything.

The fact that some people are trying to say it wasnt is just :rolleyes:
    Says the English Barcelona fan, why exactly is that out of interest?

I think you'll find most of the world agrees that this was not a penalty, only other Messi & co. fanboys are convinced that this was a just decision.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Neither of the ones in the San Siro were penalties.

The first one in the Camp Nou was a penalty, but the second one was not because the ball was not in play before Nesta held Busquets and Puyol checked him. Milan were in control at 1-1, but the second penalty killed them mentally.

Oh, and the ref also failed to give Ibra a legitimate penalty in the second half.
    The ball does not have to be in play for a foul to take place.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:

I think you'll find most of the world agrees that this was not a penalty, only other Messi & co. fanboys are convinced that this was a just decision.
    Hang on im part Spanish so get it right? you havent given any evidence it wasnt a penalty so am i supposed to believe you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Umm it was a foul on Busquets first so therefore Barca get the penalty are you that ignorant or just dumb?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryci)
    Umm it was a foul on Busquets first so therefore Barca get the penalty are you that ignorant or just dumb?
    Great input...

Hang on im part Spanish so get it right? you havent given any evidence it wasnt a penalty so am i supposed to believe you?
    I've laid out my evidence, which you have chosen to reject. Fair enough, take what I say or leave it, but don't belittle an opinion which the majority of the world resonates.
    • 12 followers

(Original post by Mess.)
    The ball does not have to be in play for a foul to take place.
    Is it a pen or an indirect free-kick if the foul takes place in the box?

The main crux with this issue is the fact that 99/100 a foul is not given. Look at the amount of times the likes of Crouch/Carroll have their shirt tugged. And its certainly not commonplace in the CL to see this foul given, before someone levels that at me. These are supposedly elite referees, but I think this is the first time this season such a foul has been given?

Too much to ask for consistency wrt the application of the laws of the game, mind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great input...

I've laid out my evidence, which you have chosen to reject. Fair enough, take what I say or leave it, but don't belittle an opinion which the majority of the world resonates.
    Majority of the world? Only like 2 people have agreed with you...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad news for Benfica, Luisao not fit enough to play. Huge blow, no proper CB in that squad.
Updated: April 10, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.