Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congrats Madrid!

Mourinho now won the league in 4 countries!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That Ljajic incident has to be the end of Delio Rossi. Horrific job he's done there in a terrible season for the club.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    That Ljajic incident has to be the end of Delio Rossi. Horrific job he's done there in a terrible season for the club.
    Already happened.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012...ajic-punch-up/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, kinda figured it would.

It was pretty inevitable at the end of the season anyway, even before this incident. Fiorentina have had a bad, bad season.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Yeah, kinda figured it would.

It was pretty inevitable at the end of the season anyway, even before this incident. Fiorentina have had a bad, bad season.
    I was surprised they sold Gilardino and Frey tbh. Never a good sign when 2 of your best players leave in such a short space of time.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Milan derby should be tasty on Sunday. Hopefully Ibra can keep his run of league titles going, deserves it as well after how good he's been this season.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I was surprised they sold Gilardino and Frey tbh. Never a good sign when 2 of your best players leave in such a short space of time.
    Gilardino, what happened to him? I haven't been following the football seriously for a couple of years since work started piling up, but i remember a couple of years ago he was amazing.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirin?)
    Gilardino, what happened to him? I haven't been following the football seriously for a couple of years since work started piling up, but i remember a couple of years ago he was amazing.
    He was really good for Fiorentina for 2 or 3 seasons, then his form dropped and then they sold him to Genoa in January. He was never bad, so I don't see why they sold a proven finisher. :dontknow:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That was idiotic by Rossi.

Lazio players fooled by whistle in crowd. They practically stopped playing and let Udinese score in the last minute. :rofl2:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The UK’s football fans may be in for a treat, with a number of world-class footballers expected to seek out new clubs in the Premier League.

Recent changes to the levels of national and regional income tax charged in Spain for high-end earners Now means that playing in the Spanish Premier League is no longer the golden goose that it once was.

Less than 2 years ago top-flight players were able to not only demand high salaries, but take advantage of a tax loophole, originally exploited by accountants working for David Beckam and since named after him, to ensure that they paid little taxes.

Upon his move from Manchester United to Real Madrid in 2003 non-Spanish players only paid a 24% rate of income tax. Not only was this law repealled in 2010, but tax increases announced just last week by Mariano Rajoy’s new PP Government, mean that the same players will now be paying as much as 54%. Players for clubs located in regions which have imposed a higher rate of income tax – such as Barcelona – may even pay as much as 56%.

As such clubs from the UK and the rest of Europe should now be able to ‘compete on a level playing field’.
    http://www.4everspain.com/blog/uks-p...pains-la-liga/

Did anyone else notice this? Surely that's a massive impact?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    http://www.4everspain.com/blog/uks-p...pains-la-liga/

Did anyone else notice this? Surely that's a massive impact?
    Not really tbh. Madrid and Barca still have that massive pulling power.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Not really tbh. Madrid and Barca still have that massive pulling power.
    Of course they will. However paying 24% tax on the salary to a foreign player and paying 54-56% is a massive difference.

If the pound becomes strong again against the Euro, we'll see a significant shift further to giving more financial power to the premier league.

Might not affect Bara/Madrid so much but it's surely going to affect all the other teams in the league and make it easier for English clubs to dangle the financial carrot in front of the players to get them to come over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arjen Robben signs two-year contract extension at Bayern Munich
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2012...nue-final.html

This is a good read and has more openess compared to club financials which is dependent on accounting, is historic and sometimes unexplained.

Most interesting part so far that I hadn't realised before?

TV Pool
    (a) Half depends on the position that the club finished in the previous season’s Premier League with the team finishing first receiving 40%, the team finishing second 30%, third 20% and fourth 10%.

Assuming the pot is still 84mil euros
    1st - 16.8mil
    2nd - 12.6mil
    3rd - 8.4mil
    4th - 4.2mil

That's a massive difference between 1st and 4th just in relation to half of the TV pool money
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/020520...ose-final.html

Apparently bayern get less money for winning the CL than being runners up.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/030520...wen-china.html
    Despite the bias of this article and the **** eurosport chat at times. AVB might get a job at roma/valencia. I reckon he'll do better at valencia, too much competition in italy but luis enrique has done a lot of rebuilding over the past year, I won't be surprised if AVB does well with them, the player power won't be that much and he'll be able to handle the team.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho:
    "We have beaten one of the best teams in history, but which some 'luminaries' say play the only football that exists,"

"These are the people who only know football by Google, who type things into the computer and absorb knowledge but football is more than that. We have played spectacular football, scored many goals and achieved a lot of victories."
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/020520...ose-final.html

Apparently bayern get less money for winning the CL than being runners up.
    That´s almost always the case, last year United got more than Barcelona because they didn´t have to pay bonuses, if I remember correctly.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catilina)
    That´s almost always the case, last year United got more than Barcelona because they didn´t have to pay bonuses, if I remember correctly.
    In the long term it will help, more fans coming to watch your games, money from t shirt sales across the world and elite status in the world. I guess that's probably why they do these things.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    That was idiotic by Rossi.

Lazio players fooled by whistle in crowd. They practically stopped playing and let Udinese score in the last minute. :rofl2:
    Heard about this on the Guardian Football weekly thing haha
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lucas Barrios moving from Dortmund to Guangzhou Evergrande at the end of the season. Urgh, what a waste of a talent.
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.