Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The European/World Football Thread II

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I only just heard about Reus signing for Dortmund. Makes it more obvious that Kawaga is leaving, though he's a fantastic replacement. They'll be favourites to win again, and maybe even make a splash in the CL.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Thiago Silva is on his way to PSG.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Apparently Thiago Silva is on his way to PSG.
    Really? Is there a source on that?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't believe that. The likes of AC Milan, Barcelona and Man City would most likely be happy to pay him huge wages to play for them. Why go a step down in team mates/league and make it harder for himself in the champions league?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Really? Is there a source on that?
    L'Equipe, Le Parisien and - I say this only half seriously - Goal.com.

(Original post by Zerforax)
    Don't believe that. The likes of AC Milan, Barcelona and Man City would most likely be happy to pay him huge wages to play for them. Why go a step down in team mates/league and make it harder for himself in the champions league?
    2 reasons: The French league isn't that bad (and it's going to get a lot better in the next few years) and PSG were the only people willing to pay ~40/50m Euros for him plus what will be astronomic wages.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    L'Equipe, Le Parisien and - I say this only half seriously - Goal.com.

2 reasons: The French league isn't that bad (and it's going to get a lot better in the next few years) and PSG were the only people willing to pay ~40/50m Euros for him plus what will be astronomic wages.
    Would still probably go

La Liga*
    Premier League*
    Bundesliga
    Serie A
    Ligue 1
    Eredivisie

*I only put La Liga above the Premier League as Barcelona and Real Madrid have looked more dominant than the top teams in the Premier League, though I would say that the Premier League's next tier is stronger than La Liga's - in that LL 1 + 2 > PL 1 + 2 but PL 3 + 6 > LL 3 + 6 but LL 7 + 10 > PL 7 + 10 (if that makes any sense)

PSG will pay him extortionate wages in 3 or 4 years after his peak.

Seems a terrible career move imo.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Milan would be absolutely retarded to let Thiago Silva walk. After just losing Nesta and a whole host of club legends like Van Bommel and Seedorf too, losing their best defender and one of the best defenders in Europe would be catastrophic. I generally trust Football Italia as a source, since they always identify their own sources, and they had this to say.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why Seedorf wasn't given the same farewell as Gattuso, Pippo and Nesta? Surely he's in the same bracket.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangeclouds)
    Does anyone know why Seedorf wasn't given the same farewell as Gattuso, Pippo and Nesta? Surely he's in the same bracket.
    Not Italian?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    Not Italian?
    Granted but he's arguably contributed more than any of them over the years.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Would still probably go

La Liga*
    Premier League*
    Bundesliga
    Serie A
    Ligue 1
    Eredivisie

*I only put La Liga above the Premier League as Barcelona and Real Madrid have looked more dominant than the top teams in the Premier League, though I would say that the Premier League's next tier is stronger than La Liga's - in that LL 1 + 2 > PL 1 + 2 but PL 3 + 6 > LL 3 + 6 but LL 7 + 10 > PL 7 + 10 (if that makes any sense)

PSG will pay him extortionate wages in 3 or 4 years after his peak.

Seems a terrible career move imo.
    You don't have to qualify putting La Liga above the Premier League, this year at least La Liga has been far stronger.

I can see why you'd say that but he'd be leaving an ageing Milan side that is falling further away from the Europe's leading pack to go to a new PSG side in the ascendancy (and one that will likely be making a push for the CL in the next few years) all the while gaining a significant wage-rise. Assuming Barça and City aren't in for him at the same time, it's not that ridiculous a move for him.

(Original post by I Kant Spall)
    Milan would be absolutely retarded to let Thiago Silva walk. After just losing Nesta and a whole host of club legends like Van Bommel and Seedorf too, losing their best defender and one of the best defenders in Europe would be catastrophic. I generally trust Football Italia as a source, since they always identify their own sources, and they had this to say.
    They need to fund the regeneration of their side and have very little money. €50m can go a long way.

He hadn't decided if he was leaving when they got the send-off.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    He hadn't decided if he was leaving when they got the send-off.
    Ohh okay, thanks for clarifying that, pun definitely intended. Milan fans were about to hit rock bottom in my estimations, there was the disgrace when Maldini retired and the ultras generally seem like pricks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guess it's official: Thiago Silva to PSG. Just has to pass the medical.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad move by Silva, probably moving because hes going to be making a crap ton.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am sure he could have made practically the same almost anywhere else at a club that will at least compete in a decent league. I'm sure City, Barca and Real at the least would have given him whatever he wanted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    I am sure he could have made practically the same almost anywhere else at a club that will at least compete in a decent league. I'm sure City, Barca and Real at the least would have given him whatever he wanted.
    Nah PSG will have offered him outrageous wages plus i doubt any of the others would have been willing to pay that much for him. Stinks of most money il go to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Granted but he's arguably contributed more than any of them over the years.
    Seriously? The others are club legends and are all probably seen as a bracket above Seedorf. Definitely Nesta and Inzaghi at least.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetstephen)
    Seriously? The others are club legends and are all probably seen as a bracket above Seedorf. Definitely Nesta and Inzaghi at least.
    Nesta and Inzaghi played 80 less games than him, and he was just as important, if not more in both of the CL triumphs, especially 07. Not only that, but he kept them going after Kaka left, whilst Pippo was in the reserves and Nesta on the treatment table.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nesta and Inzaghi played 80 less games than him, and he was just as important, if not more in both of the CL triumphs, especially 07. Not only that, but he kept them going after Kaka left, whilst Pippo was in the reserves and Nesta on the treatment table.
    Yeah I guess you're right actually. For some reason I thought the other two had been there a lot longer than Seedorf.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Silva won't just earn a bomb, he'll also be one of the best players in Ligue 1. That's why it would be good for him personally.
Updated: April 10, 2013
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.