The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Life At Leicester University- A Few Questions

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION BUT THERE ARE QUESTIONS WHICH I HAVE WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED. THAT BEING SAID, I APOLOGISE FOR ANY QUESTION WHICH YOU HAVE HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN :p:

Anyway I have a few questions to ask about life in general at this university. Please note that some of these questions may raise a few eyebrows but they are there simply because I want to know how comfortable I would be in this place:

Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university?

Are there any afro-carribean barber shops to your knowledge?

In your opinion, would you say that your university has a relatively sizeable population of "rahs"?

What is the night-life like?

What is the cost of living in general? (Directed especially at those of you who do not actually come from the city which your university is in)

Do you regret (and please be honest even if you do believe this to be a stupid question) your choice of university?

What are the halls of residence which you live in like?

Reply 1
Bump
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
sango
Bump

You don't need to bump it, it's still right at the top of the page :P. I would answer them but I don't go to Leicester yet. Also, if you just look on the first page you'll find the answers to at least a couple of your questions (what the halls of residence are like etc).
Reply 3
1. Erm, I've not gone looking for one TBH but you may find one? I have no idea.
2. Again, I always went home for my haircut so I don't know.
3. There's a standard amount, yes. There's a pretty equal amount of everyone really from what I saw.
4. Standard again, nothing amazing (IE: Newcastle etc) but a lot better than where I come from (Norwich).
5. Pretty cheap, I ended the first year with a sizeable amount (over 1k) in my bank at least.
6. Noooo not at all I love it here. :biggrin: It's absolutely amazing.
7. I lived in Digby. In the coloured blocks the bathrooms are AMAZING, but that's about it. The kitchen is sub-standard and the rooms are pretty average, although they're not small and you do get a sink. The social life there is fantastic however, because you're in a horseshoe shape and you have to walk together to dinner and such. I don't know anyone who lived there that wanted to be anywhere else. I loved it.
I don't go to the uni yet (start Oct), but I've answered the ones which I know as I've lived here my whole life lol.

Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university? There's not many really which is annoying. There's one in the city opposite the bus station which sells all the usual. Besides that, theres a few in highfields and Tesco/Asda (instore and online) sell some caribbean food such as Bun, Ackee, Seasoning/Sauces, Saltfish, KA drinks, Callalloo etc. Not exactly a wide-range, but it's better than nothing. There's also a Caribbean take-away which I think is new in the city centre (opposite Sainsburys on a side-street) when/if you go to Leicester.

Are there any afro-carribean barber shops to your knowledge? Majority are in Highfields AFAIK which isn't far from the uni campus. If I'm thinking correctly, then theres one on Evington Road which is off London Road that's a few doors down from a Caribbean take-away aswell. Probably like a 10 minute walk or so.
What is the night-life like? It's pretty good tbh. There's a variety of places to do which caters to everyone.

Hopefully that helps :smile:
you're going to/thinking of going to leicester uni sango?

:colone: heehee thats my neck of the woods
Reply 6
preposterous
I don't go to the uni yet (start Oct), but I've answered the ones which I know as I've lived here my whole life lol.

Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university? There's not many really which is annoying. There's one in the city opposite the bus station which sells all the usual. Besides that, theres a few in highfields and Tesco/Asda (instore and online) sell some caribbean food such as Bun, Ackee, Seasoning/Sauces, Saltfish, KA drinks, Callalloo etc. Not exactly a wide-range, but it's better than nothing. There's also a Caribbean take-away which I think is new in the city centre (opposite Sainsburys on a side-street) when/if you go to Leicester.

Are there any afro-carribean barber shops to your knowledge? Majority are in Highfields AFAIK which isn't far from the uni campus. If I'm thinking correctly, then theres one on Evington Road which is off London Road that's a few doors down from a Caribbean take-away aswell. Probably like a 10 minute walk or so.
What is the night-life like? It's pretty good tbh. There's a variety of places to do which caters to everyone.

Hopefully that helps :smile:

What about down Evington Road, maybe? I stayed in a house down that way for a couple of weeks and there seems to be a few shops selling foreign food. I didn't frequent any of them though, stuck to tescos :P Perhaps you have more of an idea than me!

I love Leicester as a city. Really diverse, big shopping centre, all fairly localised.

Halls; I stayed in Bowder Court (self-catering) and they were really nice rooms. All en-suite, fairly sizeable, 6 rooms and 1 kitchen per floor.
sango
PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE USED THE SEARCH FUNCTION BUT THERE ARE QUESTIONS WHICH I HAVE WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED. THAT BEING SAID, I APOLOGISE FOR ANY QUESTION WHICH YOU HAVE HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN :p:

Anyway I have a few questions to ask about life in general at this university. Please note that some of these questions may raise a few eyebrows but they are there simply because I want to know how comfortable I would be in this place:

[1]Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university?

[2]Are there any afro-carribean barber shops to your knowledge?

[3]In your opinion, would you say that your university has a relatively sizeable population of "rahs"?

[4]What is the night-life like?

[5]What is the cost of living in general? (Directed especially at those of you who do not actually come from the city which your university is in)

[6]Do you regret (and please be honest even if you do believe this to be a stupid question) your choice of university?

[7]What are the halls of residence which you live in like?

1)i'm sure there are, but I can't think of any off hand
2)yes, at the top of Evington Road, mens and womens ones
3)no
4) i don't have a massive knowledge of night life but when I have been out clubbing its fun and there are clubs for all musical taste
5)pretty good, normal to cheaper than Birmingham
6)not at all
7)I was (4 years ago) in digby hall. I liked it, but it was a bit old fashioned. You grow attached to anywhere though
Reply 8
Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university?
In your opinion, would you say that your university has a relatively sizeable population of "rahs"?
What is the cost of living in general? (Directed especially at those of you who do not actually come from the city which your university is in)
Do you regret (and please be honest even if you do believe this to be a stupid question) your choice of university?

1,2) No there isnt or atleast I dont no any, there are tons around narborough road and in the city centre however, same goes to the barber shops.
3) nein
4) ITs alright, i got bored of it abit because ive been living in leicester all my life so it wasnt anything new but if you just come its ok, the lack of urban music will become depressing if you like things such as grime, bassline etc but leicesters dnb and dubstep scene is pretty decent
5)not that expensive but the area you live in isnt as cheap as the place im from, e.g. can of coke where u will be might be liek 60p while where im from is 50p
6) Think i'd of rather went newcastle if i werent such a pussy
7) Dont live in the halls but mates from digby house and that place is a right **** hole but same way has that ******** charm to it that you gotta love
Reply 9
1. Don't know

2. Don't know

3. Hmm... relatively few, but that could just be my course (languages)

4. From what I've seen, not to my taste. If you like chart music and getting pissed, it'll be okay I think.

5. Pretty cheap I think. DO budget though.

6. Yes :colondollar: just personal problems and the general environment I guess.

7. Mine were Mary Gee, which was absolute ****
Reply 10
Are there any afro-carribean grocery stores within the vicinity of the university? Your in leicester course there isnt!

Are there any afro-carribean barber shops to your knowledge? No but there is a jewish barber shop quartet

In your opinion, would you say that your university has a relatively sizeable population of "rahs"? Suuuuuuure

What is the night-life like? Shocking

What is the cost of living in general? (Directed especially at those of you who do not actually come from the city which your university is in) It costs me about £160 a week

Do you regret (and please be honest even if you do believe this to be a stupid question) your choice of university? Most definitely

What are the halls of residence which you live in like?They are pretty much falling down, nothing works at all. Especially showers/toilets.
Reply 11
sango

1) As mentioned, only near the bus station

2) Not totally sure

3) To be honest, you'll find a higher proportion of them in John Foster Halls... you're very unlikely to meet them though, and if you do, they don't stick to themselves. They get along with other people just fine.

4) The night life is sufficient for the average student. It really depends what kinda person you are. There's pretty much like three popular student clubs including the SU. Personally, I really don't like the lack of variety, but again it really depends what kinda guy you are.

5) Cost of living can be cheap or can be expensive, really depends! It's not as expensive as Leicester but expect to walk into a store and feel wowed by low prices

6) Yes, I do, but thankfully I've met great people and they are the reason I'm still around. I would have been more suited to a city and I'm not a huge fan of my physics dept, but oh well

7) I lived in The Coppice - adjacent to JoFo halls - in my first year and it was pretty nice actually. The halls vary widely though; read some of the threads here and I'm sure you'll find much more info
Reply 12
I'm really nervous about starting now I know that the majority of you seem to regret your choice! :o:
Reply 13
Gems18
I'm really nervous about starting now I know that the majority of you seem to regret your choice! :o:

I'm sure you'll be fine. I can honestly say I've had the best two years of my life in Leicester being at university and have never ever regretted a single thing about coming here.
Reply 14
I am in the middle of choosing between Leicester, King's(In London) and Bristol. Since I applied late(and got approved fairly late to all three choices, not counting the two lower-tiered insurances) I still have about a week to decide.

So I'm surfing in on the same questions the Author did (except the afro-specific questions) and I want to ask those who have already written that they regretted choosing Leicester and those reading who haven't yet written, to please specify why and how you came to regret it.

I know I may be asking is a bit too much for some of you on an internetforum but this is an important decision for me and many others with me reading the thread so the more detail and personal (without too personal) background, the better since it helps us understand more of why and it will hopefully make ours a more informed decision.

Thanks,
Rastafari.
Listen to me son.

Well you'll be in the Leicester student village I presume, soo...a lot of the shops arent too close my friend. But everythings on the 1 bus route anyways, in town, there is everything you could wish for, including a caribbean grocery story and all that. truss me, look in the right places, I seen a few, mostly in town.

Yeah theres bare, like I said just need to find it, I aint got any names of these stores cuz i just see them i don't clock it in my head, but u gotta ask around, thats what I did, found the nearest guy that looked like he had a cut and asked him innit.

Nahhhhhh, there will be a few, but from what I see, a lot of humble people just looking for an education. Mixed lot, asians, blacks, whites, orientals etc. UNI itself is very mixed. go into town you'll see a significant ethnic population. uni itself isnt.

Depend what you on and how you like your music. theres a VAST VAST amount of bars in town and around it that offer wide ranges of music. Theres indie clubs around which I dont go to, but the Student Union (newly built o2 one) will be your prime choice for that sort of music.

Then theres the Hip hop/rnb type clubs you know, your liquid and envys (which is a BUMP when it comes to drinks and will on certain days have the usual fights/rudeboys. Zanzibar is a good student place and is being refurbished and stuff, I have connects to get in free but thats for a different story.

those are your main clubs, which will have good events certain times, but we got bored of it in first year. Second year was all about Chilli Whites. Its a club which offers so many night, the best being mondays funky penguin which you may have heard of, 1 Quid drinks..JD on the rocks..for a quid...times 10..bam your cheapest night in leicester. Mondays is different types of music from indie to hip hop to rnb to classic anthems, funky etc. everything, THE place to go on mondays and thursdays...plugplugplug.

Not as cheap as east london, maybe the same. their donna kebabs arent as cheap as east london..cha, But its sorta the same. Always go Asda for your alcohol. ALWAYS, cheapest place and you might get the rollback deals innit. Good student takeaway deals, dominoes always do buy 1 get 1 free pizzas. its generally cool man.

I dont regret, cuz i didnt choose leicester, this was my 2nd choice, and I dont regret it as far as my experience, it could have been better, I prefer Nottingham nightlife/even birmingham night life to Leicester, but remember, you meet the right people its all good, ive had a sick time...and we go to alll the cities when we get bored of leicester, coachtrips aint expensive at all if you got a big group...nottinghams live for the girls, leicesters got more guys than girl in club ratio type thing..especially the rnb clubs.

maybe that helped.
Reply 16
Definitely. Thanks. You did talk about East London(I may be going for Queen Mary). How does the clubbing scene compare to this place, and what's the girl/guy ratio and is it as bad as people say it is(crime, crazy religious fundamentalists etc)?

Also, are people mostly clubbing in Leicester or pubbing or is there a sweet mix?
Reply 17
Theres a good mix of people clubbing and pubbing in Leicester Me and my friends prefer the bars rather than the clubs to be honest. There are loads of afro caribbean shops in the city center and afro caribbean stores theres afro caribbean hairdressors in the city center also and we have the carnival here every year which is always good =)
Although I am leaving Leicester due to being bored out of my mind here but thats because i grew up here so its different but everyone i know who has moved here for student life loves it

Latest

Trending

Trending