The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It doesnt matter until you want to classify your final degree. At my university a 69 is a 2.1 but if you average a 68.5+ in your final year you will be awarded a first.
Reply 21
ElemenT'
Thats awful. :mad:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2010/06/escaping-exams.html

This is a blog entry by a Classics professor at Cambridge, and states that in some previous experience they do 'find' an extra mark or few. But the system she describes of the moderation of marks in her department sounds that they are as fair as possible.
Reply 22
ElemenT'
Thats awful. :mad:

What's awful about it? If the department in general agree that you're a first class student but that someone has marked down one set of exams or whatever then they will try to find a way to still give you the first. That's the same for every individual exam. Examiners decide first / 2i / 2ii / 3rd, then upper or lower, and then it all gets a bit arbitrary. So whether someone gives you a 67 or a 68 for an essay may not be much difference to them, but may be what stops you getting a first.
Bekaboo
What's awful about it? If the department in general agree that you're a first class student but that someone has marked down one set of exams or whatever then they will try to find a way to still give you the first. That's the same for every individual exam. Examiners decide first / 2i / 2ii / 3rd, then upper or lower, and then it all gets a bit arbitrary. So whether someone gives you a 67 or a 68 for an essay may not be much difference to them, but may be what stops you getting a first.

that's what ill never get though. like whats the diff between 62 and 63 or 67 and 68. doesn't help that i have a lot of 65-67 and it wld have made a diff. but i guess whats done is done. i guess when u eventually take a post grad, it wldnt matter that much anymore.
What year are you in? If you're not in your final year, and it isn't your overall mark, then just work harder next year!
It's probably less hassle to get 1% more overall next year than it is to get coursework remarked or whatever.
Reply 25
ITT: People who automatically opened the thread when they saw 69
Reply 26
cherrygarcia123
that's what ill never get though. like whats the diff between 62 and 63 or 67 and 68. doesn't help that i have a lot of 65-67 and it wld have made a diff. but i guess whats done is done. i guess when u eventually take a post grad, it wldnt matter that much anymore.

Basically a feeling. But then that's the case for all essay subjects at all levels really? Your department will almost certainly produce guidelines saying what's required for every mark, but it basically comes down to a lecturer's impression of what you've written. Does it have clarity? Have you made use of primary literature? Do you demonstrate knowledge outside of what was taught in lectures? etc etc
Gemma :)!
What year are you in? If you're not in your final year, and it isn't your overall mark, then just work harder next year!
It's probably less hassle to get 1% more overall next year than it is to get coursework remarked or whatever.

hahaha I am in my final year. it is my overall degree mark. D:
cherrygarcia123
hahaha I am in my final year. it is my overall degree mark. D:

That's fair enough then. I've just finished my first year, and some of my friends on my course have been asking for remarks to get them up to a first.. and this year doesn't even count!
Reply 29
MATE!!!!! now u know how i feel in my first year got 69.6 ....bloody 0.4% away and they gave me a 2:1 they said because the majority of my marks was not a first...cool i let that sly, this year my 2nd year i got roughly 68% still a 2:1...what d f*** .....it pisses me off just thinking of it got one more year i wonder what i will get .....ok rant over -_-

Which idiotic buffoon neg'd rep this??? Such losers