The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Economics, the last thread you'll need. Ever.

All,

This is the President of the Economics Society. I see a flurry of threads have been started relating to this particular department at UCL and to make things neat, tidy and efficient - I've started this thread.

Any questions can be asked here - I will answer them to the best of my ability and knowledge or I shall forward you the details of someone suitable if I'm unable to help you.

Your organised President,

Ben

PS: If you are a fresher and wish to take part in Freshers Events from the Economics Society, please send me a Private Message or email me as instructed on the letter you should have received from the department. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

I've got a simple question, hows the Economics and Geography course rated?

Obviously they are both excellent departments, fitting subjects, and the course sounds interesting. Do you know anybody doing the course that I could contact about more information?

Thanks,
Jasper
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
jasperstory
I've got a simple question, hows the Economics and Geography course rated?

Obviously they are both excellent departments, fitting subjects, and the course sounds interesting. Do you know anybody doing the course that I could contact about more information?

Thanks,
Jasper

You might want to ask a specific question when you say rated. Are you asking from a career perspective and if so, to what career? (that's the usual reason people get worked up about ratings)

I can put you in touch with someone who does that course, I can pass your contact details on to him (send a PM) explaining that you want to find out about Econ&Geog.
Reply 3
OK i've got a question. Why hasn't the handbook got any information about Econ 1604 (Economics I) its the compulsory economics course with Economics and Statistics (LG13). Is it the same or similar to B01?
Get in touch with [email protected] and cc any email to [email protected]
Reply 5
ah screw it ill just wait for the introduciton speech n that
Reply 6
hi president ben.
just wondering if we sign up for the freshers events, is it necessary to attend all of the events.
thanks for your help.
Thanks for replying to my message.

President_Ben
Are you asking from a career perspective and if so, to what career? (that's the usual reason people get worked up about ratings)

I can put you in touch with someone who does that course, I can pass your contact details on to him (send a PM) explaining that you want to find out about Econ&Geog.

I am not interested by career prospectives (well, its not a fundamental concern) and I have already checked out the respective uni Subject ratings (in Guardian and Times). I just wonder whether the economics students consider it a 'micky mouse' course, and whether you have many geog&econ students that get involved at the econ department. Are they seen as outsiders in both the Econ and Geog places? And, if you know, do you know whether people doing it consider it a 'good' course, i.e. is it mixed well/open enough/well taught etc.?

If u dont have time, thats really ok, you're prob gonna get loads of questions pouring in.
sunnye
hi president ben.
just wondering if we sign up for the freshers events, is it necessary to attend all of the events.
thanks for your help.

No. But it'd very nice if you did. Even if you don't drink, the pub crawl is well worth going to just to meet people.
jasperstory
Thanks for replying to my message.

I am not interested by career prospectives (well, its not a fundamental concern) and I have already checked out the respective uni Subject ratings (in Guardian and Times). I just wonder whether the economics students consider it a 'micky mouse' course, and whether you have many geog&econ students that get involved at the econ department. Are they seen as outsiders in both the Econ and Geog places? And, if you know, do you know whether people doing it consider it a 'good' course, i.e. is it mixed well/open enough/well taught etc.?

If u dont have time, thats really ok, you're prob gonna get loads of questions pouring in.

You're welcome.

Econ&Geog is not mickey mouse. But - it is not as mathematically rigourous so career-wise, not as respected.

People can get involved in anything they like with their departments. We're all a friendly bunch after all - we like to see people who are motivated, pro-active and participating.

General note on Teaching - the amount of self-learning you do is tremendous. It is such a change from A Level, so is the change in the quality of work you must do.

Part of the thing is, lecturers and teaching assistants are not trained teachers (that applies to any uni) and their style will vary greatly, it may not be compatible with your style of learning.

You'll find your peers quite possibly the most useful learning resource.
Reply 10
apart from the pub brawl is there anything else done by the econ dep? ( I haven't received the econ stuff yet)
and how is this going to be planned?
what time do we meet?
is it like a drink, tube, drink, tube, drink, tube, drink?
a live commentary on london by a senior student :biggrin: trying to keep us alive :p:
Reply 11
hi, i'm viv, doin econ, stayin @ Commonwealth Hall, just wonderin if ne1 has decided wot modules to take. i had a look in the booklet they sent us & they hav options for history, IT & psychology etc. but im not interested in ne of those. ne1 have ne idea bout other modules etc that mite be available?
Reply 12
it ones mite be useful, my bros been looking for a job and a lot of them want u to kno c++ or vb as well as have an econ degree
Reply 13
where can you learn that?
jakviv
hi, i'm viv, doin econ, stayin @ Commonwealth Hall, just wonderin if ne1 has decided wot modules to take. i had a look in the booklet they sent us & they hav options for history, IT & psychology etc. but im not interested in ne of those. ne1 have ne idea bout other modules etc that mite be available?

You can take courses in anything provided there is no timetable clash. You just need to approach the particular department and get it cleared with your personal tutor.

What are you interested in taking?

The computer science modules, as far as I know, are not there to teach programming languages. Refer to the prospectus for more information.

matthieum
apart from the pub brawl is there anything else done by the econ dep? ( I haven't received the econ stuff yet)
and how is this going to be planned?
what time do we meet?
is it like a drink, tube, drink, tube, drink, tube, drink?
a live commentary on london by a senior student :biggrin: trying to keep us alive :p:

Yep. Book exchange so you can get books cheaply and for those in years above, sell them off. An event at the head office of our lead sponsor (Deustche Bank) and a couple more events involving drinking.
Reply 15
Which scheme (1 or 2) is most popular in the economics L100 course?
eralp
Which scheme (1 or 2) is most popular in the economics L100 course?

Not sure why that matters... but I think scheme 2.

International students tend to favour scheme 2. Domestic students tend to favour scheme 1.

You're all fairly smart, I'm sure you can all understand why that is the case.
Reply 17
If you wanted to take a language as a module, and you absolutely wanted to start from the basics. 1. would this even be poissible? (ive skimmed the 1st 2/3 pages of the department book) and 2. would you recomend it?
Reply 18
I think I'll be taking scheme 2 :p: I wont go and take the easy path :biggrin:
and where can you learn those programming things???
matthieum
I think I'll be taking scheme 2 :p: I wont go and take the easy path :biggrin:
and where can you learn those programming things???

Both schemes are equally valued since you are doing an additional half unit of something else.

Programming languages might be taught on Computer Science courses, I think it is better for you find that out yourself. You can otherwise learn them in your own time. There are many books/online resources for learning by yourself.

(flexing your research skills really can't hurt)

russ
If you wanted to take a language as a module, and you absolutely wanted to start from the basics. 1. would this even be poissible? (ive skimmed the 1st 2/3 pages of the department book) and 2. would you recomend it?

1. Yes you can start from the utter basics.

2. Totally up to you! I neither recommend for or against it. It's your degree after all. If you're interested in doing it, why not? Developing language skills is a good thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending