Reply 120
my point exactly...the guy will get offers soon
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 121
Econ4m1t
my point exactly...the guy will get offers soon

LSE doesn't look for an "active and social student body" and you're saying i'll get offers soon? Should i be happy or insulted? :p:
(Also posted on another thread but being posted here too because it's that worthwhile and informative)

I'm President of the Economics Society at UCL and as such do have a working knowledge of what the Economics department does with regards to offers.

In brief: for Economics L100 at UCL, the close as you'll get on this message board to the 'official line'

FAQ of the most obvious, the application review process and offering

1a) There are no interviews.

b) The process is that you will be sent a letter asking you to attend an open day. Attendance guarentees an offer.

ci) Open days are on November 30th, February 1st, Februrary 22nd and March 15th.

cii) Students who are abroad are expected to make a reasonable journey to attend but this is all decided on a case by case basis as far as I know.

di) Only about 400 offering letters are made. The number of people on the L100 course has been as high as 160 but it is expected to be lower in the future, possibly as low as 130 in the short term.

dii) Like every other greedy and money thirsty university faculty (a collection of departments), the percentage target of students who will pay international fees is expected to increase over the next 6 years at least. Economics is in the Social and Historical Sciences Faculty and is currently far over the average of international student population but as one of the most successful and prestigious departments in UCL, may well go down that (frankly horrid) LSE style route in years to come.

When offers are sent, what if I haven't heard anything

2ai) Offers to attend on November 30th have been sent out. If you do not receive one by November 16th (Wednesday), ie. two weeks before the date, do not expect one.

aii) Some people have already been rejected. If you are in neither category, this simply means that you are not in the top pool of applicants that have been looked at so far.

What happens on these days, how do I get there

3ai) You are expected to arrive by 2pm to the Jevons Lecture Theatre in Drayton House. This is at most, 10 minutes walk from Euston, Euston Square and Warren Street Underground stations and Euston Rail station. Kings Cross and St Pancaras Rail stations are about 15 to 20 minutes walk.

3aii) Victoria, Paddington, Waterloo are all within 30 to 45 minutes.

3bi) Before 2pm, depending on how busy I am (and my life is inherently somewhat unpredictable), there will be an informal chat by me in Jevons where I won't be watched or monitored by academic staff. I'm expecting you all to use this time to get to know each other too. Or I'll strongly encourage you :wink:

bii) 2pm - provisionally: 20 minutes plus Q&A from Dr Pemberton, 20 minutes plus Q&A from me.

biii) 3pm to 3.30pm (ish) - chat with other students or staff in a meet and greet environment (in our common room which wasn't designed for 100+ people but nevermind). There will be some drinks (no alcohol, the department don't know if you're all over 18 and it's likely you won't be). There might even be food if I can persuade the department (probably pizza - why? because I like it!).

c) 3.30pm to 4.30pm (ish) - get a tour of UCL with a student and some other prospective students, try to chat up the nice looking ones. Alternatively, go home.

d) You could still go home or the Economics Society (the richest society and for the last two years biggest in UCL Union) is going to stick some money behind the union bar and buy drinks for ourselves and for you (if you're that interested in getting drunk or still trying to chat up someone). Most of us will probably want to leave by then as we have assignments due the next day (6pm).

(my workload per week varies from say, 10 pages of written work to 20)

e) If you're seriously hardened and love UCL that much, 'Sports Night' comes around. All the attractive (and the few unattractive) sports playing UCL students will make their way to the bar and get horribly pissed, possibly naked and more (drinking 13 shots straight up from a pint glass can do that to you - and lastly, if it's taken you this long to try and chat up and pull that person, you've probably failed)

Total staff contact time: up to say 90 minutes
Total student contact time: hours and hours (well, maybe 5 or 6)

That's pretty exhaustive...
Reply 123
will this be any different for international students and people that allready have their grades? e.g. will it take longer to get offer etc
As far as I know:

You are expected to travel from a "reasonable distance". It doesn't depend on fee status, just where you live and if applicable, currently educated.

If you already have your grades, you're still expected to visit.

So far as speed of offers go, it does not vary with fee status. If you already have your grades confirmed, you may be processed slightly quicker.
am I right that a 'considerable distance' includes Germany, especially the western part?
Reply 126
desemejante
am I right that a 'considerable distance' includes Germany, especially the western part?

I'd imagine so; an unreasonable distance would be say, China, Australia, etc.
Reply 127
desemejante

just wondering. have you heard nething from LSE or UCL? and did you not think it would be a bit risky applying to 2 courses in the same dept?
ba_ba1
just wondering. have you heard nething from LSE or UCL? and did you not think it would be a bit risky applying to 2 courses in the same dept?

nope, nothing

I thought about apllying for tw courses and askes some people, wrote an email to the admission tutor etc. and they all said that there was nothing wrong as long as the two subjects are very similar to each other
Reply 129
President_Ben
As far as I know:

You are expected to travel from a "reasonable distance". It doesn't depend on fee status, just where you live and if applicable, currently educated.

If you already have your grades, you're still expected to visit.

So far as speed of offers go, it does not vary with fee status. If you already have your grades confirmed, you may be processed slightly quicker.

Hi, you wouldn't know anything about the degree course Economics and Business with East European Studies would you? Is the Economics part delivered by the Economics faculty or is it just run completely by the SSEES?
Also would I be able to take modules at LSE, as I heard there was a possibility of this?
Thank you
Paddy
paddy357
Hi, you wouldn't know anything about the degree course Economics and Business with East European Studies would you? Is the Economics part delivered by the Economics faculty or is it just run completely by the SSEES?
Also would I be able to take modules at LSE, as I heard there was a possibility of this?
Thank you
Paddy

Delivered entirely by SSEES only and this means Economics at SSEES is treated as being near second class (sadly).

But for the sake of being controversial, "SSEES is a backdoor to a UCL branded degree". Of course, your reference will be from the SSEES faculty rather than the Social and Historical Sciences faculty via the Department of Economics.

Anyway, I don't know much about the SSEES degree programme.

As for modules at LSE, yes, you could - but only if they are modules you can't take at UCL and you don't have a timetable clash with your existing courses (ie. it can be quite difficult). You can do this with any College of the University of London.
Reply 131
President_Ben
Delivered entirely by SSEES only and this means Economics at SSEES is treated as being near second class (sadly).
But for the sake of being controversial, "SSEES is a backdoor to a UCL branded degree". Of course, your reference will be from the SSEES faculty rather than the Social and Historical Sciences faculty via the Department of Economics.
Anyway, I don't know much about the SSEES degree programme.
As for modules at LSE, yes, you could - but only if they are modules you can't take at UCL and you don't have a timetable clash with your existing courses (ie. it can be quite difficult). You can do this with any College of the University of London.

Well thats pretty much what I guessed really.
Would I be able to take modules from the Economics department in UCL then? I mean if I had wanted a specifically Economics-orientated degree I would have applied for Economics, but I felt like something different.
Anyway if I had applied simply to get into UCL, I would have gone for Italian and Business studies, which typically asks for BBC, but I'd prefer to do an Eastern European language, and this degree is more suited to what I wish to do after uni (work in Eastern Europe).
Thanks for your help
Paddy
Also if I were to get an offer from UCL and accept it, would I be able to join the Economics society? I heard that you don't have to do Economics to join, is this true?
paddy357
Well thats pretty much what I guessed really.
Would I be able to take modules from the Economics department in UCL then? I mean if I had wanted a specifically Economics-orientated degree I would have applied for Economics, but I felt like something different.

You should be able to but only if it's for a course not offered to you already and you meet the pre-requesite unit requirements (which is going to be rather tough, in fact, for most units, impossible).

Also if I were to get an offer from UCL and accept it, would I be able to join the Economics society? I heard that you don't have to do Economics to join, is this true?

Diversity is a part of what makes the society successful. We have members from at least 22 different departments, you'd certainly be welcome to join.
Reply 133
President_Ben
You should be able to but only if it's for a course not offered to you already and you meet the pre-requesite unit requirements (which is going to be rather tough, in fact, for most units, impossible).

Yeah I suppose that without A Level Maths I would be exempt from most of them already. Well the economics modules are all Easter Europe orientated so there would be quite a few that wouldn't be on offer from the SSEES, but without Maths A Level that greatly reduces my options.
President_Ben
Diversity is a part of what makes the society successful. We have members from at least 22 different departments, you'd certainly be welcome to join.

Thanks if I end up at UCL I'll be sure to apply.
Paddy

Latest

Trending

Trending