Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GiffGaff - O2 Network - what d'you think?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What dyu think of Giffgaff?

the JUly goodybags seem to be the best thing going for PAYG!

im probz guna buy 1 or 2..

or is there anything else better?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :'(
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to swap to it (on O2 atm)! Will get the £5 July goodybag, whatever it is - unlimited mins and texts and 100 mins, right? After that I'll just pay the £10 a month, seems reasonable for all that!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    I'm going to swap to it (on O2 atm)! Will get the £5 July goodybag, whatever it is - unlimited mins and texts and 100 mins, right? After that I'll just pay the £10 a month, seems reasonable for all that!
    its unlim text, net and 100 mins for a fiver , yeh dus seem like a pretty good deal. =)

but the problem i have is that im buying a new phone from carphone warehouse and i have to buy it with a £10 top up , so dyu think they lemme top up on giffgaff for a tenner insted of on o2, cuz i want the 1/2 price july goodbag ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm on giffgaff pay as you go. started off with £10 credit and made £5 for answering questions on their forum and now have£13.75 credit
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha M)
    its unlim text, net and 100 mins for a fiver , yeh dus seem like a pretty good deal. =)

but the problem i have is that im buying a new phone from carphone warehouse and i have to buy it with a £10 top up , so dyu think they lemme top up on giffgaff for a tenner insted of on o2, cuz i want the 1/2 price july goodbag ?
    I highly doubt it. The phone will be locked to O2 as well, so even though Giffgaff uses the O2 network they are not the same thing and you will need it unlocked.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it. The phone will be locked to O2 as well, so even though Giffgaff uses the O2 network they are not the same thing and you will need it unlocked.

are you sure?
    im sure all phones from carphone warehouse are unlocked.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    are you sure?
    I don't think so Unlocked phones are more expensive. I would recommend you ask in the shop
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so Unlocked phones are more expensive. I would recommend you ask in the shop
    okeydokes , will do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure with CPW you select - e.g. they give you a price for Orange, a price for Vodafone, a price for O2 etc and an unlocked price. Which of those are available depends on the handset, that's how it was when I brought my phone from them anyway, saved £30 going on Orange and unlocking it myself on computer!

As for Giffgaff, I'm moving to them soon when my o2 contract expires. Unless they match Giffgaffs deal (highly doubt it with their shocking retention deals) I'll disconnect and move. As it uses the same signal then signal at uni will be fine (o2 is the only network with decent signal here, if Giffgaff wasn't around then the signal would be the only thing keeping me with o2)

I won't be able to get the July offer, hopefully they extend it or offer it again in a few months
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I;m on giffgaff....I usually run out of £10 on 02 in about 1-2months...I've had 10 in my giffgaff for about 3 and I'm on about 3.50
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Pretty sure with CPW you select - e.g. they give you a price for Orange, a price for Vodafone, a price for O2 etc and an unlocked price. Which of those are available depends on the handset, that's how it was when I brought my phone from them anyway, saved £30 going on Orange and unlocking it myself on computer!

As for Giffgaff, I'm moving to them soon when my o2 contract expires. Unless they match Giffgaffs deal (highly doubt it with their shocking retention deals) I'll disconnect and move. As it uses the same signal then signal at uni will be fine (o2 is the only network with decent signal here, if Giffgaff wasn't around then the signal would be the only thing keeping me with o2)

I won't be able to get the July offer, hopefully they extend it or offer it again in a few months
    On the CPW site it sez the phone i want is for 240 with 10 top up with both o2 and orange, there aint no unlocked price..?
    heres the link :http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...-WILDFIRE/PPAY

and hw dyu unlock a phone on the computer lol?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the CPW site it sez the phone i want is for 240 with 10 top up with both o2 and orange, there aint no unlocked price..?
    heres the link :http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...-WILDFIRE/PPAY

and hw dyu unlock a phone on the computer lol?
    Yep so they don't have any unlocked ones there and you'd have to buy o2 - that would be locked to o2 and as stated before probably wouldn't work on Giffgaff

Used to be a case of putting in a few numbers, nowadays you actually have to flash them - pretty hard to do if you don't know much about computers (I'm on Computing at uni). If you do it wrong it will ruin your phone, possibly to a state which is unrepairable, so if you aren't confident with computers I'd stay well away and go to a unlock shop etc
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zack)
    Yep so they don't have any unlocked ones there and you'd have to buy o2 - that would be locked to o2 and as stated before probably wouldn't work on Giffgaff

Used to be a case of putting in a few numbers, nowadays you actually have to flash them - pretty hard to do if you don't know much about computers (I'm on Computing at uni). If you do it wrong it will ruin your phone, possibly to a state which is unrepairable, so if you aren't confident with computers I'd stay well away and go to a unlock shop etc
    how much does it cost to unlock a fone at a shop then?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    are you sure?
    Some, but not all CPW, phones are unlocked. According to Google the O2 ones tend not to be locked, so you might be in luck. If you ask in the shop they'll have to tell you whether or not it's locked.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cost me £10 at my local market. I would guess it wouldn't be any more than £15.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where I used to live a lot of places were £10, a few were 5. At uni it's about £10-£15 I see advertised. £10 is fairly standard wherever you go. There are ones online where you post them the phone and they do it and send it back - they are cheaper but obviously some you can't trust. I've never used any kind of unlock thing as I do them all myself so I won't recommend any - and anyway, the best bet is to go into a town centre and find a shop there, get it done on the spot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So in order for giff gaff to work on my iphone i can use an iphone that is locked to o2 network?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.