The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My ex is from Plymouth, and I live near Liverpool. All the Southern blokes I met seemed to always say "Waheey Northern girls are awesome!"
I don't see why we are, I just smiled & agreed.

I've spent lotsa time down South & I do notice the people are different to Notherners, but I just don't know how... it's not in a bad way or a good way, they just seem different.
Reply 41
I have spent a lot of time in London and lived in Manchester for a year. I did not notice any marked difference. If anything Southerners are a bit more polite.
Reply 42
Drunk Punx
It almost sounded like you meant "skinhead" in a derogatory way... :colonhash:

I'm from the South, and from personal experience, it does seem that Northerners are slightly friendlier towards randomers. For example, if some random person came up and started chatting with me on the street then dependant on whether what they are saying is interesting, I'll probably ignore them.
I dislike being hassled, especially by people I don't know.

I did
Reply 43
Haychee
I don't like the northern "friendliness"

"AUP DUCK, YOU ARIIIIITE?"

You'd struggle to find any body in the North who talks like that now adays, however I maintain from my experiences of the south (admittedly these are very centred around London) that those in the North are far more friendly. In London every seems to be rushing, everywhere. If the tube was in the north, it'd buzz with chatter, albeit fairly idle, more often than not its silent now.
In London everyone is scared of eachother or more than likely won't even understand eachother. The other week I was in Camden and someone barged past this old bloke and he shouted down the street after him and I was like 'well done that man!'. I'm noticing more and more that noone says sorry or excuse me and it's starting to piss me off :mad:

Up north I've only been to the Lake District and Sheffield and people seemed friendly enough.
im from the midlands, and i'd say that both are pretty friendly.
i mean really, there's good and bad people wherever you go.
Steezy
I did

Elaborate. :holmes:
Southerners just don't suffer fools gladly.
Reply 48
Just to clarify, not ALL southerners live in London, so the assumption that we're all complete knobs (Which is generally based on visits to London) isn't entirely true :wink:
Reply 49
Kinda stupid to base your opinion on southerners just from London. It'd be like basing your opinion on the French from Paris, or Americans from New York - all capital cities where people are notoriously rude/busy.

It's not that southerners are unfriendly, it's just that we don't get this desire to be constantly talking that northerners seem to have, therefore we can happily make our way through the day without chatting to weirdos on the train or glaring with an unsettling rictus grin at passersby. If we have no reason to talk to you, then we probably won't - that is mega-stereotyping though, as there are plenty of chatty people here, just less than the north I guess.
Reply 50
Drunk Punx
Elaborate. :holmes:

Yes elaborate for me too, what's wrong with skinheads? :shifty:

The only place in the south I've been to is London and it terrifies me. Nobody speaks, everyone's rushing everywhere and the crowds... dear god the crowds. :afraid:

That said, I would LOVE to visit the south west or south coast, if train fairs weren't such a scandal.
Reply 51
I'm from London and I agree. If anyone what so ever tries to talk to someone else on the tube, they get a little snare from everyone else, or a look of shock lol. Apart from after 10/11ishPM, where everyone is usually drunk, or travelling to some where to get drunk, then it is acceptable to talk to other passengers (rules of tube etiquette). It's so cute when someone from the north is in London, travelling, and they try to be friendly on public transport. Bless 'em
Really :lolwut: when I went up to Manchester last year one of the shop owners tried to scam me and my friends and some guy said rude sexual things to us when we left the tram.
Reply 53
Indieboohoo
Really :lolwut: when I went up to Manchester last year one of the shop owners tried to scam me and my friends and some guy said rude sexual things to us when we left the tram.

Just tell me where that shop is. :rant:
win2kpro
Just tell me where that shop is. :rant:

:rofl: I can't even remember some corner shop :p:
Reply 55
I would say people down south are much more conservative and keep themselves to themselves more whereas people in the northern half are much more open with you, I don't think this necessarily means that they are friendlier, just not afraid to express themselves I guess.

But like everywhere you have some good places and so bad places. There are certain parts of the north I dislike but also places I really like (like Manchester). This also goes for the south.
Reply 56
Indieboohoo
:rofl: I can't even remember some corner shop :p:

I will track him down, for you. :colone:
Reply 57
I completely disagree with the general consensus that southerners are ruder! I'm from London and, though I can't talk about northerners as a whole, people from Leeds are definitely ruder than Londoners. I went to Leeds about a month ago with two friends to look at the university; we stepped off the coach and needed directions, so we very politely said, "excuse me" to the first man we saw walking by. he put his head down and continued walking as if we didn't exist, and yes, he heard us because we all like said it really loudly thinking he hadn't heard. anyway, that was one person, but then we went and asked various other people who, though helpful, gave us really condescending looks as if to say 'ha! londoners, eh!' like we were dumb or something for asking for directions, really sneering at our accents. and then in superdrug, the cashier was being all polite but then as soon as i spoke she literally frowned. so so rude, we were all so glad to get back to london! i liked the uni though lol.
Reply 58
The one stereotypical 'southerner' I know has an annoying laugh which he uses when he's being condescending.
I think it is absolute ****.

Northerners are much more mouthy and outspoken than Southerners yes, but that definitely does not make them more friendly. Sometimes I think they need to shut up.

Latest

Trending

Trending