The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Scarn
Which two regions of England elected a BNP member to the European Parliament last year?
:mmm:

:awesome: This hahah.

Question: Is the north racist? I've been hearing a lot of stories that it's a very racist area. Is this true?
Advanced Subsidiary

Question: Is the north racist? I've been hearing a lot of stories that it's a very racist area. Is this true?

Can't be more racist than the South West!

I know, as I've lived in both...
DMed

In the North, people will strike up a conversation with randomers, which is nice (if you like chatting).

Oh that is so true, especially here in Sheffield!

When I started at uni dahn sath in Kent I thought oh no, loads of rude southerners and, although I have come across a few, theres not that much difference between people in the north and south, I think being at an international uni makes you think how petty the north/south thing is. :p:

Advanced Subsidiary

Nah thats rubbish. Granted, there are racist people, but you find them everywhere, not just concentrated in the north.:wink:
Reply 83
Reply 84
PrinceOfCats
I would be shocked if you've honestly not heard Geordies slag off London a lot. I hear it all the time.

Outside of football (which is just banter) then very rarely and, again, most of the time it's not taken to be serious and those who are serious are usually the not well informed minority. Just like small numbers of people from southern areas slag off the north.

No one in my social circle or friends slag it off (although many chose not to study there because of the cost). My brother, who has just moved from London to Manchester, is desperate to get back to London. This isn't to say he dislikes Manchester.

My social circle isn't perhaps the most representative but it is the only experience I have.

Mind it depends on what you mean by "slag off London". I've been excused off hating London just because I've said I wouldn't want to live there (or in any large city) and I can be critical of Bloomsbury. People don't recognise the times I often praise its world class attractions, look forward to visiting, and that Bloomsbury isn't the only part of London.
Reply 85
Advanced Subsidiary

You can't really stereotype one half of the country as racist.

Does racism exist? Yes. Does it exist in the south? Yes. In both halves they are usually just enclaves.

If we take the BNP as being racist (and all its followers as being racist - something I don't personally agree with) then its strongholds are mainly in the north. Principally parts of Lancashire and West Yorkshire. But there are also strong areas of support in East London. But you have to understand the social problems in these areas including poverty and unemployment. It doesn't mean people are actually racist.

Have they made impact in the affluent, rural areas of Norhumberland, Chesire or North Yorksire? No. Or even in urban centres like Newcastle, Manchester or Sheffield. Not really.

People are turning more to the Lib Dems in Newcastle (who control the council) or the Conservatives in Sunderand - traditionally a strong area of working class Tory support).

There are racist people up and down the country but usually only amongst the less informed minority.

In before someone says the Tories are also racist :p:
River85
This doesn't even happen "up north" except amongst a small minority - certain members of the older generation.

But if you saw someone struggling with heavy bags (say the bag split scattering its contents to the ground) or a pushchair would you offer help?

Have you got statistics for that? :p:

Most people I know are either indifferent (haven't been there), have visited and although they might think it's overrated till like it. Some love it.

I see this has descended into London = the south and, because London is rude then the south must be rude.

If they asked then i'd be happy to help.
Reply 87
PrinceOfCats
I would be shocked if you've honestly not heard Geordies slag off London a lot. I hear it all the time.

Geordies or northumbrians? I'm a northumbrian and I don't like London as a city - far too busy. But I would say that - I'm from a coastal town with 6,000 residents. Even Newcastle is incredibly laid back in comparison, IMO. Not to mention that fact that a lot of southerners usually end up asking if we're irish or scottish because they can't understand the accent... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I slag the people of london off though, even if a couple ignored me when I wanted directions. I get that in Newcastle too!
Reply 88
PapaShmurff

But you wouldn't offer?

Someone might still appreciate help but not ask.
Reply 89
PapaShmurff

Why not just help them then?

I don't understand this about people in this country - north or south. If someone is obviously in need of help, why wait to be asked to help them? Why not offer straight away? If you're happy to help after being asked, surely you'd be happy to help full stop. Maybe then there wouldn't be this discussion about which area is friendlier!
Jake22
Well, there are regional variations e.g.

"Bolton born, Bolton bred; good in't heart but f***ed in't head"

Originally I heard the one you posted from somebody that was Cornish.

I can't help but agree with the Bolton one though, I have no beef with that
donnaM82
Geordies or northumbrians? I'm a northumbrian and I don't like London as a city - far too busy. But I would say that - I'm from a coastal town with 6,000 residents. Even Newcastle is incredibly laid back in comparison, IMO. Not to mention that fact that a lot of southerners usually end up asking if we're irish or scottish because they can't understand the accent... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I slag the people of london off though, even if a couple ignored me when I wanted directions. I get that in Newcastle too!

Geordies. I grew up in Newcastle. Never been to Northumbria. Don't like the countryside.
Reply 92
Steezy
I've got family in Oldham (Chadderton to be precise) and to anyone who hasn't been there, it's horrible. Dreary place with skinheads, dark weather (usually), and just a main road running through it. But the people are usually very friendly (the women anyway). Doen South, we usually have nicer surroundings, but the people are less friendly. Doesn't make sense really.

Exactly. They have to be freindly because it's needed when life is ****, it's concillatory rather than a real meaningful thing.

See, generally I just think it is a myth, it's superficial and actually cloying. Like the American friendliness, I don't personally like that much, preferring privacy. It's harder to get something out of someone in the south, we are distant, but when you do it's more sincere and means more. Plus northerners are more likely to say something harsh and blunt in my experience.
Reply 93
AidanLunn
Northerners are seemingly more sensitive to offensive remarks or being unfriendly. Being more friendly than Southerners, it's natural to be more unfriendly when you aren't so friendly towards us. That is why we can be the most friendly and the most unfriendly people you have ever met.

The reason why is because the stereotype for Southerners is that they are more selfish than Northerners (although this is only a stereotype).

Because Southerners may be more selfish towards other people, they do not care if you are friendly towards them, but then again they do not care if you don't like them.

Northerners put in the effort to be nice, and if you chuck **** back at us, we of course will be upset that our efforts were wasted.

I hope that makes sense.

Interesting. See I think southerners are more likely to be cold, but northerners are morel ikely to be rude and say something harsh...it's our reserve. Personally you could say community spirit and friendliness is good, you could also say it was repressive and overbearing. Down south it's more open minded, cosmapolitan, educated(IMO) reserved and classier. I think northerners are just more forthcoming, often it is superficial niceness that someone in the south would be suspicious of because it doesnt mean much, when we do it which is rarer it carries some weight.
Reply 94
Load of ********.

Depends where you go. The people in london are almost always complete *****, but you go to cornwall and everyones pretty freindly.
Likewise, up north, people in liverpool are almost always complete *****, but in somewhere like whitby aint so bad.

Also, OP, you're a pretentious ******, theres no "romance" or "passion" in england. Just people.
Reply 95
Chillaxer
Exactly. They have to be freindly because it's needed when life is ****, it's concillatory rather than a real meaningful thing.

See, generally I just think it is a myth, it's superficial and actually cloying. Like the American friendliness, I don't personally like that much, preferring privacy. It's harder to get something out of someone in the south, we are distant, but when you do it's more sincere and means more. Plus northerners are more likely to say something harsh and blunt in my experience.

So Northerners are more likely to be harsh & blunt but they put on a 'niceness'? Afraid to say that is contradictory good sir. I don't think that being nice to strangers is a bad thing, atleast they're trying to be nice, Most of us down here are miserable unless we know the person we're talking to.

I think the difference between us & them is that they are nice until proven they shouldn't be, and we are miserable until we're proven we shouldn't be. Up to you to decide which of those mentalities is best, but I'd probably say they've got it right.
Reply 96
Chillaxer
but northerners are morel ikely to be rude and say something harsh...it's our reserve.

"I'm from Yorkshire. I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say."
Reply 97
Megaross
Load of ********.

Depends where you go. The people in london are almost always complete *****, but you go to cornwall and everyones pretty freindly.
Likewise, up north, people in liverpool are almost always complete *****, but in somewhere like whitby aint so bad.

Also, OP, you're a pretentious ******, theres no "romance" or "passion" in england. Just people.

Whatever:rolleyes:

The people in London are not ****** at all, many of them are very civilised and nice people. not being funny or anything, but when I've spoken, to say, Yorkshire people, they have been really blunt rude and quite frankly seem to have a chip on their shoulder even if you're a bit well spoken. Generally I just find southeners, have more reserve, are more realistic in their level of freindliness, and the women have more style and are more mysterious and attractive, accent and demeanour wise.
Reply 98
Steezy
So Northerners are more likely to be harsh & blunt but they put on a 'niceness'? Afraid to say that is contradictory good sir.

I think the difference between us & them is that they are nice until proven they shouldn't be, and we are miserable until we're proven we shouldn't be. Up to you to decide which of those mentalities is best, but I'd probably say they've got it right.

No it isn't contradictory. They try to be nicer but will be ruder as well.
It's a false aspiration. People contain contradications anyhow.

I'd say we have , because it gives live more distance, privacy, and southerners are more sophisticated. People are less attractive when easily accessabler, plus community spirit has way more negatives than positives. Also, as I've said, when we do show some gesture, I think it means more. Generally that northerners are nicer or it's better to live there=myth in my experience.

also, the northerners who are nice are more sentimental and too nice, the southerners who are nice tend to be more unsentimentally nice.
Reply 99
Jake22
"I'm from Yorkshire. I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say."

Exactly. My Dad's Liverpudlian, (many people, northeners included look down upon them, but I prefer them) he hates yorkshire people and they are some of the rudest I've come across, and Mancunians often have a big attitude problem too.

Latest

Trending

Trending