The Student Room Group

Southerners are unfriendly, moreso than northeners?

OK, this old rumour to discuss. See personally, northerners are more freindly superficially butI have come to realise it is superficial and actually is meaningless and even annoying when you look at it realistically. They may have more surface forthcomingness but not deeper, they can also be a lot harsher and less polite than us southerners. I am now struck by how much more elegant, stylish, distant and mysterious southern women are too. I have lived way up north briefly but want moe of the south-east now and would never leave. I can see some romance in the north, and passion, but the charms of the south are understated. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Like I've said before, I don't think you can really stereotype "the north" or "the south". There's certainly no universal northern mentality or identity that applies from Newcastle to Carlisle to Manchester to Sheffield.

London can be an impersonal place (depnding on where in London you are for there are some vibrant and friendly places). But it is a capital city. Outside London I've seen no difference between, say, Cornwall and Northumberland. North Yorkshire and Hampshire....
Reply 2
I hate friendliness per se anyway, I think it means jack ****, I like distance.
not unfriendly just wary
Reply 4
I don't like the northern "friendliness"

"AUP DUCK, YOU ARIIIIITE?"
Reply 5
I'm a geordie and the whole north/south thing is complete monkey poo! Yeah, southerners generally don't smile at random people on the street like us northerners but I have managed to have conversations with complete strangers both in the north and south - and have been looked at like a complete eejit in both the north and south too!

I prefer friendly people, even if it is only superficial. A few nice words don't hurt and you never know what affect a friendly conversation can have on someone.
Reply 6
I'm from Surrey, to me pretty much anything above London is Northern.

lived with a whole pack of northerners during my brief stint at uni and despite the inevitable language barrier (who calls a 'junkie' a 'bag-head?' and since when was Moor pronounced Mewer?) I would say northeners are just as friendly, if not more so (in a blunt, head-butting kind of way) than us southerners. i would say the difference is if they dont like you, they dont mind telling you. :ninja:
From my experience the people I've met in the North have been more expressive and passionate... Us in the South are just more repressed and passive aggressive.
Reply 8
A Northern girl moved to my school recently, and she was really friendly and open with everyone.

I think Northern people are brought up to be a little more confident...
Northerners are more friendly.
Reply 10
Northern born, Northern bred - strong in the arm and good in bed.
I don't think so but I've noticed there's more fat people up north.
:awesome:
kellybee
I'm from Surrey, to me pretty much anything above London is Northern.

lived with a whole pack of northerners during my brief stint at uni and despite the inevitable language barrier (who calls a 'junkie' a 'bag-head?' and since when was Moor pronounced Mewer?) I would say northeners are just as friendly, if not more so (in a blunt, head-butting kind of way) than us southerners. i would say the difference is if they dont like you, they dont mind telling you. :ninja:

What northeners were you living with!?
I would challenge anyone who said this to be a Londoner, spend time up north ... and then say that Northerners are friendly.
Reply 14
Chillaxer
OK, this old rumour to discuss. See personally, northerners are more freindly superficially butI have come to realise it is superficial and actually is meaningless and even annoying when you look at it realistically. They may have more surface forthcomingness but not deeper, they can also be a lot harsher and less polite than us southerners. I am now struck by how much more elegant, stylish, distant and mysterious southern women are too. I have lived way up north briefly but want moe of the south-east now and would never leave. I can see some romance in the north, and passion, but the charms of the south are understated. What do you think?

Im a southerner I love the north lol
TheSownRose
I would challenge anyone who said this to be a Londoner, spend time up north ... and then say that Northerners are friendly.

I'm from the general area and can tell you that northerners from my experience are more open and generall friendly than people from round here. Most southeners have some sort of issue with the north and northerners (ie scousers are thiefs, northerners are scallys etc) for no known reason.
WithFlyingColours
I'm from the general area and can tell you that northerners from my experience are more open and generall friendly than people from round here. Most southeners have some sort of issue with the north and northerners (ie scousers are thiefs, northerners are scallys etc) for no known reason.

I meant Northerners never really seem to like Londoners... :wink:
Reply 17
I've got family in Oldham (Chadderton to be precise) and to anyone who hasn't been there, it's horrible. Dreary place with skinheads, dark weather (usually), and just a main road running through it. But the people are usually very friendly (the women anyway). Doen South, we usually have nicer surroundings, but the people are less friendly. Doesn't make sense really.
WithFlyingColours

Nothing to do with North and South - people here in Sheffield call Scousers thieves and we're only across the Pennines!
TheSownRose
I meant Northerners never really seem to like Londoners... :wink:

My grandfather moved up to Liverpool having been born in and spent most of his life in London and said he would never consider going back because people are so much friendlier and accommodating than they were in London.

There's always going to be north/south banter, but I've found more bile going from south to north then vice versa.

Latest

Trending

Trending