The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Arriving and Registration Questions

Hoping I get the required results, and get into Sheffield, I'd like to ask a few questions on what I'd need.

I'm an International student and was just wondering what documents are needed for University Registration/Police/Medical?

Any other items/goods required for me to take there, things that are perhaps too expensive to buy there and much better to buy here in Kuwait.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hey! As far as I can tell we for sure need an original transcript/and or whatever information your CAS stated they used to determine your acceptance. Send in your passport photo and application for the student union card prior to arrival, still waiting to find out if we have to get official vaccinations, or if a letter/test from the Dr for Tuberculosis, Tetanus, and Polio is good enough. I don't know what the rules are for your country, but if I were you I would make sure to have several extra passport photos, your passport, and official qualifications (certificates, transcripts, diplomas, etc.) I am waiting until I get to UK to buy a laptop as USA laptops don't have Pound symbols, but the UK ones have the Pound and Dollar symbols, but I am doing a business degree so I think it will make a big difference to me..I don't claim to be uber knowledgeable but I ask questions of the uni alot so feel free to message me if I can help further! I have had such a difficult time getting the info I need I would really like to save others the hassle!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Definitely lots of extra passport photos - i was surprised how many times i needed them! and sending in a passport picture of yourself to the uni first definitely speeds up the process of getting your ucard. make sure you get your bank accounts all sorted ahead of time if possible as it'll help with registration/paying uni fees. a laptop could be useful to bring from home as it could be cheaper back home for you. For me it was cheaper to get my laptop back home than to buy one in the UK (and i already had one). Bring enough clothing! I know some of my friends didn't bring enough winter clothing and ended up spending quite a bit of money stocking up on winter clothing as it did get quite cold this year. Also definitely bring all the documents that the uni had asked for and maybe even a financial letter just in case. i know this sounds obvious but don't forget to bring another piece of ID (such as driving license) as I know one of my friends had to use his passport and nearly lost it once on a night out. Feel free to send me a pm as i've been through the process and also am an international student. Hopefully this helps.
Reply 3
http://www.shef.ac.uk/newstudents/

You should read through all of those pages and then all of those subsets of pages (for example, International Students and Intro Week are sets of pages on their own) and download all the files (Registration: Essential Guide, Welcome to University of Sheffield, etc.) and read through them as well. Yes, it's A LOT of reading but it's extremely helpful - all the documents you need to submit are listed along with deadlines, step-by-step descriptions of registration events are given, lists of what documents to bring with you are provided, etc., etc. It's really a priceless collection of information.
Reply 4
Just wanted to check, Do I need to have a Tuberculosis Screening done? It says people should on the Sheffield International Students Book.
Did anyone get it? I already got TB shots and all so I don't really want to waste more of my summer with X-rays.

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely a big help.
Does anyone know if anything important gets sent to your home address, cos I'll be on holiday between results day and moving in day and will only have access to email...
You!Me!Dancing!
Does anyone know if anything important gets sent to your home address, cos I'll be on holiday between results day and moving in day and will only have access to email...

If you have recieved your registration packet already I think you are ok, but if not you can download it from the website, n there will be an app for the ucard in there that you need to fill out, and they would like you to send in advance w a passport photo so they can have your id ready for you on registration day.
lavendermyst
If you have recieved your registration packet already I think you are ok, but if not you can download it from the website, n there will be an app for the ucard in there that you need to fill out, and they would like you to send in advance w a passport photo so they can have your id ready for you on registration day.

I haven't got it yet (because my offer is still conditional) but I've now downloaded the registration pack, thanks :biggrin:
You!Me!Dancing!
I haven't got it yet (because my offer is still conditional) but I've now downloaded the registration pack, thanks :biggrin:

Lets just be honest it is pretty exciting to have stuff like that you will NEED cause you WILL get in. :smile: We worked hard to get here we deserve our small joys!
DrDé
Just wanted to check, Do I need to have a Tuberculosis Screening done? It says people should on the Sheffield International Students Book.
Did anyone get it? I already got TB shots and all so I don't really want to waste more of my summer with X-rays.

Thanks for the replies guys. Definitely a big help.

Depends on where you are from...are you considered to be from Kuwait, India, or elsewhere?
I emailed the health dept about that and all the other vaccinations the school mentions, I asked if I needed to get the actual vaccinations or just tests to prove I don't have them, they replied:
Thank you for your email. All students from USA, Europe, Australasia, NZ are
not required to have a TB vaccination or screen. As for the Diphthereria,
tetanus and polio then I assume you would be up to date, having had one in the
last 10 years. You would only need another one of these if you had say a bad
tetatnus prone injury in the UK and this would be readily available at UHS or
on the NHS.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/newstudents/international/immigration/tuberculosis.html
The link above mentions that if you're not from one of the countries mentioned in the email reply I included above you will need a chest x-ray.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/newstudents/international/health.html

Check out this link as it mentions all the things they want us immunized against. I dunno about you but it really makes me feel like a lab rat! Surely if we can afford the tuition we can afford proper healthcare!
Reply 10
I can't wait to be in Sheffield lol.. just getting my visa sorted out.. have to get the tb, tetanus shots etc.. i think you don't need the chest x-ray.. the health certificate will be good enough for that... just read that somewhere... carrying an x-ray and taking it out in the airport would be quite a big task lol. So carry the x-ray results rather than the x-ray itself.
You do not need the actual X-ray (what could the immigration officers discern from that anyway?) whereas you do need a certificate saying you're tuberculosis free. And it has to be in English. "All students coming to the University of Sheffield from outside Europe, North America Australia or New Zealand, should bring with them a copy of a chest x ray report in English – taken within 6 months prior to arrival in the UK and bring this to their Health Service interview. "

Does anyone know when they send out those information packs? I haven't received one yet and my offer has been an unconditional for a month and a half now. Maybe they send them out after August 19?
Reply 12
Peregrinum
You do not need the actual X-ray (what could the immigration officers discern from that anyway?) whereas you do need a certificate saying you're tuberculosis free. And it has to be in English. "All students coming to the University of Sheffield from outside Europe, North America Australia or New Zealand, should bring with them a copy of a chest x ray report in English taken within 6 months prior to arrival in the UK and bring this to their Health Service interview. "

Does anyone know when they send out those information packs? I haven't received one yet and my offer has been an unconditional for a month and a half now. Maybe they send them out after August 19?

But A chest X-ray is needed right? Cause I already have a medial statement saying I'm tuberculosis free.
DrDé
But A chest X-ray is needed right? Cause I already have a medial statement saying I'm tuberculosis free.

I assume that statement is derived from you having already undergone a chest X-ray to check for TB. If that's the case then you're all set to go, just bring the statement (the actual X-ray isn't necessary but no one's going to stop you from packing that as well). But if taking the X-ray took place more than 4.5 months ago (1.5 months still to go before semester starts, the two add up to 6 months) then you need a new X-ray and a new statement. Or maybe the statement comes from you having been vaccinated against TB but not having had a chest X-ray in which case you need the X-ray as well (and a statement).
Reply 14
Peregrinum
I assume that statement is derived from you having already undergone a chest X-ray to check for TB. If that's the case then you're all set to go, just bring the statement (the actual X-ray isn't necessary but no one's going to stop you from packing that as well). But if taking the X-ray took place more than 4.5 months ago (1.5 months still to go before semester starts, the two add up to 6 months) then you need a new X-ray and a new statement. Or maybe the statement comes from you having been vaccinated against TB but not having had a chest X-ray in which case you need the X-ray as well (and a statement).

Getting the scan done next week :P
Thanks guys.
Reply 15
I still havent got the registration pack. Who do i E mail :/
Reply 16
Do we need to have a bank statement or a bank draft from home when we register? Is it necessary? I've e-mailed them and they told me that only overseas students need it and that financial declaration is enough. In the welcome pack they say that even EU students should have a statement though and I'm confused... What are you EU students going to do?
Original post by missmarple
Do we need to have a bank statement or a bank draft from home when we register? Is it necessary? I've e-mailed them and they told me that only overseas students need it and that financial declaration is enough. In the welcome pack they say that even EU students should have a statement though and I'm confused... What are you EU students going to do?

You don't need a bank statement (or anything to prove that you have the necessary funds to support yourself). The answer you got is correct - EU students will not need anything like that, it's only a requirement for non-EU international students. However, the university does state on its website that something like that may be asked of you on the border (and I've read the same thing on other EU travel advice pages), but I've never heard of anyone being asked to present something like that and I didn't have to present anything last year either (it's not like they can tell whether you're moving into the country or just visiting as a tourist by looking at your face or something).
Anyway, because it was recommended I did take a bank statement and also a note from my family guaranteeing that I'd have funds available for all years of study. Took me 5 minutes to type up the letter (and have them date and sign it) and 5 minutes at the bank to get the statement. I figured since it's so easy and fast to get these statements I might as well be safe rather than sorry later on. I'm going to do the same thing this year as well and my advice to other EU students is that although banks statements and such aren't a requirement and it's extremely unlikely you'd have to show them to anyone at any point, if it's easy for you to get them then might aswell err on the side of caution.
Reply 18
Peregrinum thanks a lot for your answer! It was very detailed and really helped me! So it's something that I should have just in case they ask me at the airport... I'll visit my bank and arrange it! :smile:
Reply 19
I have completed Financial Declaration but I would like to know do we need to complete "Financial Guarantee Form"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending