The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"friend".
Clens
They will never find out, so he shouldn't say anything. From a legal perspective, it is not declarable, as no formal charges were brought, and no cautions or warnings were given :smile:

this
Reply 42
SacreBleu
Narrow mindedness will be your downfall one day. Just because someone has never been caught doing something illegal or immoral, doesn't mean they have never done it.

See the discussion I've been having with phalanges. And just because they haven't been caught it doesn't make any of what they're doing right. I think such actions are completely deplorable. And not one of us is perfect, heck, I've made enough mistakes in my life, but I'm completely sorry for those, and I always, always strive to improve myself. And anyone that is remorseful for past mistakes I am totally fine with and do not hold anything against them. But people who are knowingly doing wrong yet continue to actively commit crimes, act unjustly or be acutely immoral I feel a strong sense of contempt toward.
Reply 43
infernalcradle
hey people...quick question on behalf of a friend since he doesn't have TSR...(the bastard)

the idiot was caught shoplifting from TK Maxx(apparantly something small...). He admitted it and was banned from entering TK Maxx in future.Will this reflect on his CRB check or as a criminal offense?No police was involved. He was simply told he was banned and that a report *may* go to police..and would be contacted, however he never was...he wants to apply for med obviously....

should he tick the little box that talks about convictions etc. or not?

I say he should, but if he does and nothing comes up, they will ask why he did tick, but if he doesn't and it does...well, lying isn't exactly the greatest way to endear yourself :biggrin:

He was never convicted. So, if he put the tick mark in the little box, that would be a lie.
Dont tick the box!
Woody.
See above. It would be much more ideal to have a fuller explanation of the situation, but there is only limited information from the OP, and I went from what it said - that is - implying that he alone shoplifted.

I guess we just have different ways of looking at the world. It's weird because, from your e-persona I would have expected you to always try and look for the good in people.
If it never went to court and he wasn't convicted then he should not tick it.
Hopefully he's learnt his lesson
Reply 47
spaniards
If only princess Diana was here!

Isn't that the express?
Reply 48
Why would a future med student rob TK Maxx??
Reply 49
Ivan91
Foreman in House MD stole a car when he was 16, and now he's a great doctor! :awesome:

But he's such a rebel as he is! :cool:

Remember when he operated despite being given orders not to when working at this other hospital?!
If he never heard from the police, he was never convicted. He would have had to go into a police station and get interviewed- they wouldn't just give you a criminal record without talking to/telling you.

Chances are, TK Maxx just thought it wasn't worth their time- after all they got the goods back. They probably wouldn't even notice if he carried on shopping there. It's more likely they said he was banned in the hope that he wouldn't come back, but with nothing in place to detect him if he did.
DON'T TICK THE BOX! He's not been charged with anything, if he did, he'd know about it!! Why is everyone saying tick the box?? He only stole from TKMaxxx jeez
No he shouldnt...

People know when they have a criminal record...they send **** through the post to make the person aware.
Reply 53
Obviously not, they will never find out..
Reply 54
No, he shouldn't...

Does he even have a criminal conviction?

I got caught drinking underage in a park, the copper took my name, should I tick every CRB box??
Reply 55
Why would he declare it if he doesn't have it? And he wants to go to med school? Blimey
Reply 56
JCM89
Your 'friend' should declare it as otherwise he will look deceitful. People do get on medical degrees even with minor discretions (and occasionally with larger ones) - the medical school just wants to know what happened and why, what you learnt, and how you will ensure it doesn't happen again... they like that reflective stuff.

What bad advice!
Reply 57
infernalcradle
hey people...quick question on behalf of a friend since he doesn't have TSR...(the bastard)

the idiot was caught shoplifting from TK Maxx(apparantly something small...). He admitted it and was banned from entering TK Maxx in future.Will this reflect on his CRB check or as a criminal offense?No police was involved. He was simply told he was banned and that a report *may* go to police..and would be contacted, however he never was...he wants to apply for med obviously....

should he tick the little box that talks about convictions etc. or not?

I say he should, but if he does and nothing comes up, they will ask why he did tick, but if he doesn't and it does...well, lying isn't exactly the greatest way to endear yourself :biggrin:

shoplifting from TK MAXX? talk about desperate
Reply 58
Phalanges
I guess we just have different ways of looking at the world. It's weird because, from your e-persona I would have expected you to always try and look for the good in people.

I do always try and look for the good in people. My reasons for not in this case: Firstly he's asking whether he should declare it in the first place - you should at the very least phone and tell the university of the situation, and should not need your mate to post on TSR of all places to ask about it. Secondly 'the idiot was caught shoplifting' hardly instils confidence in him as a person. The whole way that's phrased is just shady all over.

I try and see the best in people, but I'm not going to overlook the evidence (albeit rather vague) given in the OP.
no of course he shouldnt lolcake

Latest

Trending

Trending