The Student Room Group
Hah me too, I don't know what to expect :/
Reply 2
grh2g46
I have my needs assessment tomorrow afternoon, and was wondering if anyone had any advice/things i should know etc

You don't need to know anything apart from our your disability or medical condition might affect you. Don't be anxious about it. Usually the assessor, who will hopefully be experienced, has a reasonable knowledge of various different kinds of disabilities and how they affect a student and, consequently, provude solutions and suggestions to help assist that problem. For example, if you experience periods of low mood and motivation a learning mentor might be recommended. Or if you have difficulties with handwriting then a note taker or dictaphone might be recomended.

Those are just generic examples and everyone is different.

So don't think you need to know how you'll be affected, especially if you aren't at university yet. This is the whole

If there is something you genuinely think will help you (whether that's equipment, certain study support or whatever) don't be afraid to ask for it. You will need to justify why it's needed by the assessor will be fair and certainly open to suggestions.

Ilovewords
Hah me too, I don't know what to expect :/

It's quite informal. Nothing to worry about at all.

It will take approximately one hour but this can vary.

You'll might be asked about your medical and academic history before addressing things you have difficulties with and aticipated difficulties.

If there is relevant equipment and software in the centre the assessor might allow you to use it and see whether or not you'll find it effective.

Don't feel that you're under scrutiny and the assessor is out to trip you up. They are not. They want you to get the right support as much as you do. However, at the same time they cannot recommended something they feel you don't need or will put you at an advantage compared to another student.

There are no "tests" involved in the assessemt. The only thing I've had which resembled a test was one minute typing exercise to determine my typing speed (60 words a minute :cool: )

This website may be of interest to both of you

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=10503

When I've got some time I must try and create some stickies on this topic. Including some experiences of other students...
Reply 3
River85
You don't need to know anything apart from our your disability or medical condition might affect you. Don't be anxious about it. Usually the assessor, who will hopefully be experienced, has a reasonable knowledge of various different kinds of disabilities and how they affect a student and, consequently, provude solutions and suggestions to help assist that problem. For example, if you experience periods of low mood and motivation a learning mentor might be recommended. Or if you have difficulties with handwriting then a note taker or dictaphone might be recomended...........

Thank you, very useful information :smile: +rep sent your way(not that it will count as anything cause of my post count etc)

Latest