The Student Room Group
Of course you can! nothing beats some motivation! :biggrin:
Reply 2
DancinBallerina
As the title says - can I do it?

Dissertation goes in tomorrow (Friday 30th @ 4pm) - still got lil bit of lit review to do, rejig of the methodology, data analysis and discussion (merged chapter) and conclusion. My references are done, I have set it to the dissertation format, it's just getting the content sorted.

If I am honest - I am pooping myself :woo:, but determined to keep thinking positive! :cool:

What's a dissertation?
Of course you can! You've worked so hard up til now, one last leap and you're done!
Zebrastripes
Of course you can! You've worked so hard up til now, one last leap and you're done!

It still feels like I have loads to do. Im on my knees with sleep deprivation, BUT will get it done and handed in by 4pm.

PS Quick question: in your data analysis and discussion, how long was it (page wise) and what exactly am I doing/writing in it? because it's foxing me and what I wrote early this morning is only half a page, if that for one of the ''themes'' I picked out from my interviews! :cool:

S.R
What's a dissertation?

Extended piece of work which is between 8, 000-10, 000 words on a topic of your choice (well it was for me, altho this isn't the case @ other unis). You have NO life whatsoever doing it and you turn grey quicker than you can blink!! (that bit the tutors don't tell you lol)
I really hope I don't leave it until the day before it's due in.
I'm the kind of person who would work on it like months before, and then still leave a bit so I still get stressed :frown:
Gemma :)!
I really hope I don't leave it until the day before it's due in.
I'm the kind of person who would work on it like months before, and then still leave a bit so I still get stressed :frown:

Last year @ the end of my 2nd year, I said ''I aint leaving it to the last minute, im going to have the bulk done before I go back in Sept and I will be chuffed!'' . . that unfortunately was not the case . . .because my topic is so broad my tutor kept whinging ''too broad, too broad'', it wasn't until xmas I finally got somewhere. Only problem is I chose too specific, making it incredibly difficult to find anything of substance for the damn thing! So I have had to still kinda include what it is I was looking @ but its only in small proportions. I then managed to develop Carpel Tunnel Syndrome which seriously hindered me from doing any work whatsoever. So all my outstanding work was put back until beginning of July, to allow my wrists to heal. Now the wrists have healed, I am now trying to play catch up @ getting it done. I have done the research, and started writing it end of Feb, so it's not like I am writing from scratch, it's just what I had written was absolute rubbish (gave it to someone to read) and I am now rewriting bits to make it sound better, give it proper substance. I also forgot to say that my tutor hasn't been that brilliant if I am honest, when I heard about the help my friends were receiving in comparison to what I had, was nothing!!!

It is an absolute nightmare, I don't advise anyone to leave it to the last minute, well . .. someone on here did it last year and managed to bag a 1st, but it's just nuts to put oneself under so much pressure when it could have easily been prevented if I had planned properly and 'paced' myself.
DancinBallerina
It still feels like I have loads to do. Im on my knees with sleep deprivation, BUT will get it done and handed in by 4pm.

PS Quick question: in your data analysis and discussion, how long was it (page wise) and what exactly am I doing/writing in it? because it's foxing me and what I wrote early this morning is only half a page, if that for one of the ''themes'' I picked out from my interviews! :cool:

I got 48 in my dissertation, so I don't think my advice is worth much. I wrote quite a lot in my discussion, but it was obviously mostly rubbish - I tend to ramble a lot too. Each point I made I tried to stretch out to over half a page, and had a few points.
Zebrastripes
I got 48 in my dissertation, so I don't think my advice is worth much. I wrote quite a lot in my discussion, but it was obviously mostly rubbish - I tend to ramble a lot too. Each point I made I tried to stretch out to over half a page, and had a few points.

Ahhh okey dokey, thanks anyway.

Did you manage to finish with an overall 2:1?
DancinBallerina
Ahhh okey dokey, thanks anyway.

Did you manage to finish with an overall 2:1?

Yep. I don't know how I managed it as I didn't do very well this year. But it all worked out to over 61 so I'm happy :woo: Good luck with getting your diss done! (and get off here!!)
Zebrastripes
Yep. I don't know how I managed it as I didn't do very well this year. But it all worked out to over 61 so I'm happy :woo: Good luck with getting your diss done! (and get off here!!)

Ahh well done :smile:

Yes I am going now . .ta for help :smile:
I'm doing two dissertations next year. This thread is making me feel like I might have ruined my life. :lolwut:
im doign a group project instead of this :holmes:
DancinBallerina

That should be the bulk of your work, at least half of the word count should be the analysis/discussion. Splitting it up into different chapters and sections can really help break it up though.

You are basically analysing your data and discussing how this ties in to the rest of it. What have you found, if anything? How does this relate to literature?
Well done! Now get off TSR. :biggrin:
Reply 15
get off tsr and you can do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending