The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
It's possible, but that doesn't mean you can always do it. It depends on the uni and the course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Seems weird to just study half a year worth at the OU, I think in that case you'd still need to meet the UCAS entry requirements of whatever course you were applying for.

Unless you mean 'one or two' in which case see above. :biggrin:
Reply 3
i think they mean 1 or 2 years as they then mention going on to second or third year
Well I am simply horrified at the ambiguity. I shall be writing to my local MP at once.
Reply 5
SunburnedCactus
Well I am simply horrified at the ambiguity. I shall be writing to my local MP at once.

Well i truly apologise for the misunderstanding.:biggrin:

What I clearly meant to write, was that i plan to study towards a degree for possibly the first two years at the OU, after that i hope to transfer onto the third year at another university. My reasons partially being, are that I understand that the third year would consist of a more heavy and detailed work load, and i would prefer it if there was more of an interaction between parties to make it helpful. I'm aware that OU have these facilities but it won't quite be the same, especially when it comes to the importance of the final year.

Juno- I've had a look on a few of the universitys websites, they clearly state that OU points are welcome etc, but nothing on transfering onto courses, like i initally thought. Would the best idea be just to email them in advance to see what the procedures would be?
Reply 6
I know NTU do it, because I got a place there and then chose not to take it up. I do have work experience and am generally amazing, though.

Into second year would be easier as unis don't really like you going into the 3rd year. They probably won't have this info on their website, as it isn't that common and really it needs to be done on an individual basis. They may also want you to have met the A Level/GCSE requirements, but that will depend on your background.
Reply 7
Juno
I know NTU do it, because I got a place there and then chose not to take it up. I do have work experience and am generally amazing, though.

Into second year would be easier as unis don't really like you going into the 3rd year. They probably won't have this info on their website, as it isn't that common and really it needs to be done on an individual basis. They may also want you to have met the A Level/GCSE requirements, but that will depend on your background.

That's great to hear, although i do have my heart set on studying at the University of Leicester, or possibly DMU, both were lovely when i went for the opening days a couple of years ago. :smile:

Well I'm currently working at moment, and I was hoping to work for the two years that i would be studying at the OU, mainly due to the fact that i enjoy working but i'd also prefer to study alongside it, i need that balance between the two. Is there a certain reason as to why universitys would prefer applicants to transfer onto the second year rather than the third or is it just speculation?
Reply 8
Mainly because you're getting a degree with their name on it, so they want to control the majority of what you've learnt.

Some unis might be an exception, but a lot publish their policies on transfers on their websites. This is LSE. DMU suggest it is possible to go into year 3, but the page seems weighted towards second year entry. The Leciester website sucks and it's impossible to find anything out, but searching for "second year entry" brings up results suggesting it is possible whilst searching for "third year entry" brings up nothing relevant.

Latest

Trending

Trending