Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JSA. How does it work and what will I need ?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start Uni in September, just moved to West Sussex and had to leave my old job for the move, haven't been able to find any work since moving. Move again for uni in 7weeks so I doubt I'll find somewhere to employ me for that short amount of time.

What documents do I need to take with me to the job center to prove that I am eligible for JSA ?
    How long does the process take ? (when will i get the money?)
    What type of 'proof' is it they need for me to show that I am actively looking for a job ?

Any help would be ace !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciarasimpson)
    Start Uni in September, just moved to West Sussex and had to leave my old job for the move, haven't been able to find any work since moving. Move again for uni in 7weeks so I doubt I'll find somewhere to employ me for that short amount of time.

What documents do I need to take with me to the job center to prove that I am eligible for JSA ?
    How long does the process take ? (when will i get the money?)
    What type of 'proof' is it they need for me to show that I am actively looking for a job ?

Any help would be ace !
    As you hold an offer for university/have just finished college, you cannot get JSA.

Get back to looking for a job. Why you would stop looking for work because "[you] doubt [you'll] find someone to employ [you]" is not the attitude to take - if you keep trying a job will come up.

The process can take anything up to about 6 weeks IIRC, but don't quote me. Proof required is offers for job interviews, I presume. Google is your friend and all that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You won't be eligible but for future reference you initially start your claim over the phone. The initial phone call takes about 45-60mins and you would need your NI number and bank account details (if you have a bank account) along with details of previous work (dates etc.) and of any savings you may have. Your initial job seekers interview is normally within a couple of weeks but your claim starts straight away.

The 'proof' you are looking for work is detailed in your job seekers agreement which is personal to you (although tbf, they are mostly pretty similar unless you are looking for a particular kind of work). You have to bring your job seekers agreement every time you sign on and they will either ask you what you have been doing to find work or they will just check what you wrote on the form. The agreement is a minimum level of job seeking activity you are expected to maintain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I am a fool ! Thank you for your help though !

And, CMJBGBWC, I wanted to get JSA to help me find a job, not as an alternative ! It's got to the point where I can't afford the bus fare into town in order to get my CVs around. First time I've been unemployed for five years, I'm not a scrounger, promise

Thanks again though, at least now I know !

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 29, 2010
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.