The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Just wondering how many people are informing their banks that they are moving away and telling them your new address? for example, personal statements will go to you at your accommodation rather than home...Just I don't want my parents opening MY mail and seeing how much Im spending :wink:

I called Natwest a while back and they said its up to me but what do most people do...?

Cheers. :cool:

Meh, I'm going to keep mine as it is. I cant be bothered changing it.
Reply 2
I changed mine because then when I ordered stuff on the internet it sent it to me directly.

Many ticket sellers wont send to halls of residence that are a second address, so then you can avoid not being able to get the tickets.

Plus your parents can't open the envelope and shout at you for how much money your spending haha!
Reply 3
Plus the fact my parents emigrated in April and I wouldn't be able to get my post then. LOL
Reply 4
It depends how secure your mail is. You don't want someone stealing it and then using your details.

If you do, then also think about whether you want chequebooks and new cards being sent there. You can ask for them not to.
Reply 5
I have all my mail sent to my home address, only have my University stuff sent to my term time address.
Reply 6
Another thing I thought of: if you are worried about safety then perhaps you could switch to online statements. It's better for the environment too :smile:
Reply 7
I'd be too worried my post isnt secure enough at halls. We only have one box between a flat so I wouldnt be to happy.

Im leaving it as it is. Theres always internet banking if you want to stop statements being delivered home anyway!
Reply 8
I've switched to using my hall address cus I wanna apply for the net but my parents have told me not to but I'm gonna anyway. When I told my dad I've switched my address he thought about the security issue - he didn't say it but I could see it in his face. Although I don't think it'll be a problem... if it weren't for my mum, I wouldn't switch address at all.

Heh, I asked them about some optional module stuff like which language should I choose and my mum's first response basically told me to shut up and stop wasting their time I should be more decisive. I've thought about it for some time though - if I knew I wouldn't want their advice. And my mum wonders why I don't tell her anything. She gets angry or upset if I don't tell her stuff, then when I do tell her she says it's up to me don't tell her, then when I ask for advice she says don't ask me I'm so fed up. And then she asks me why don't I talk to her or tell her anything? AND SHE WONDERS WHY! :mad: I'll never tell her anything again.
Reply 9
irisng
I've switched to using my hall address cus I wanna apply for the net but my parents have told me not to but I'm gonna anyway. When I told my dad I've switched my address he thought about the security issue - he didn't say it but I could see it in his face. Although I don't think it'll be a problem... if it weren't for my mum, I wouldn't switch address at all.

Heh, I asked them about some optional module stuff like which language should I choose and my mum's first response basically told me to shut up and stop wasting their time I should be more decisive. I've thought about it for some time though - if I knew I wouldn't want their advice. And my mum wonders why I don't tell her anything. She gets angry or upset if I don't tell her stuff, then when I do tell her she says it's up to me don't tell her, then when I ask for advice she says don't ask me I'm so fed up. And then she asks me why don't I talk to her or tell her anything? AND SHE WONDERS WHY! :mad: I'll never tell her anything again.

my moms just like that.. lol
Reply 10
I just got my parents to forward mail to me. Whenever I phoned home they'd say what post I had, and asked me what I wanted forwarding. I found that easier, especially as I have a magazine subscription so getting some sent to uni and some to home would've been stupid as i'd have been constantly changing address.
How long does it take to change address details?

I'll only change to term time address if I know I can quickly change back when I'm at home for xmas, easter and summer...
Reply 12
Beekeeper
How long does it take to change address details?

I'll only change to term time address if I know I can quickly change back when I'm at home for xmas, easter and summer...

Since you'll probably be only be getting statements then if you do it immediately after your statement it will be changed for the next one.

I know with HSBC you can do it online and it says it's immediate. But obviously if they're sending out anything and it's already in the system/been posted they can't change it for that.
yeah, i was wondering about that, I figured i wouldnt change it for now, since ill be coming back, adn ill end up losing stuff here there and everywhere. Im gonna do online banking anyways
Reply 14
keeping mine at home...cos we're only away for half a year or so. its just hassle changing it back when u come home, then again when u get a house...
Reply 15
And...we're all adults...why are parents opening your mail!?

Latest

Trending

Trending