The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

janabe
You haven't? :lolwut:

:facepalm2:

Obviously sarcasm.
I think it is because a lot of British people don't pay to whiten their teeth? But generally from this generation, the state of people's teeth is usually pretty good. However, saying that I have pretty bad teeth, and I hate it >.<
Reply 82
We all had bad teeth back in the day when toothpaste wasn't around. Plus with all the bums on the streets of the US you'd think America would have the stereotype also but i guess being fat, stupid and fat will do.

JOKES!
Reply 83
lovely_me

Obviously sarcasm.

Obviously ...
Maybe it's because we drink so much tea? :rolleyes:

I only know a handful of people with bad teeth.
Reply 85
lovely_me

Obviously sarcasm.

I saved your profile pic for personal use.
janabe
Not really. Brits generally aren't bothered about their teeth unless they are in pain. They'd rather pay for a good piss up, instead of a £16 check up once a year.

There's that, but there is also a lack of dentist surgeries and dentists per capita. I mean, in my area, there are only three surgeries, and many of those are full, with long waiting lists.
Reply 87
cowleya
There's that, but there is also a lack of dentist surgeries and dentists per capita. I mean, in my area, there are only three surgeries, and many of those have full, with waiting lists.

Couldn't you try to join a dentist in the next town or something? Check ups are normally a minimum of once a year.
The same reason why everyone in the US is fat and ignorant.

Spoiler

janabe
Couldn't you try to join a dentist in the next town or something? Check ups are normally a minimum of once a year.

That's what we've done. There's two in my local area, but demand was so high here that we had to sign up with one some miles away.

Thing is, you say people generally aren't bothered about their teeth, but if you gave them the chance to go to a local dentist, I doubt they'd pass up the opportunity.
Reply 90
cowleya
That's what we've done. There's two in my local area, but demand was so high here that we had to sign up with one some miles away.

Thing is, you say people generally aren't bothered about their teeth, but if you gave them the chance to go to a local dentist, I doubt they'd pass up the opportunity.

I have friends, some who are dental students, that haven't been for 10 years or so. They've had the opportunity, they just can't be arsed.
Harris
EDIT: WOW some people here are incredibly defensive about their teeth.

well . . . yeah, seeing as we have to use them to eat!
Hooj
I saved your profile pic for personal use.

When you say 'personal use' I hope you are practicing your artistic skills by drawing it perhaps or similar.

Or else...

shiver.
Haha, I heard of this stereotype waaaaaay back in South Africa :wink: I know a lot of people with yellow/scew teeth, but I don't think it can really be generalised to the whole country :wink: Know lots of people with amazing teeth too, I think it's the same as in any country :biggrin: It's kinda like the stereotype of English not showing their emotions- it applies to a lot of people, but mostly not (there are some very emotional ppl here) as it would in any country. Although the people who I've met support your theory it's only a tiny minority ! Most other users say they don't know many people like this :smile:
I'd say the stereotype is pretty outdated now since most people get braces at quite a young age to fix their teeth. I have good teeth and most people I know do as well except for the older ones. A lot of people did get braces when i was in school though.
But I doubt you're going to meet many young people with terrible teeth. It's like the whole americans are all fat stereotype, which obviously isn't true.
Reply 95
lovely_me
When you say 'personal use' I hope you are practicing your artistic skills by drawing it perhaps or similar.

Or else...

shiver.

Feel honored babes.:sexface:

I'll upload a pic with my signature written on it in ..."milk" thick, gooey, sticky, pungent...."milk".:sexface:
I have lovely teeth :biggrin:
Reply 97
adam_zed
I want to know where this stereotype came from. Then again I'm sure it originated from America. At least our stereotype on your geographical neighbours (obesity) is backed by statistical evidence.

By the way, just because it was so random (and not because I advocate violence to women) your sig was frickin hilarious!

Haha thanks, I don't know why I've always felt this way about British teeth. It's what I've heard from a lot of people and I think the problem is that now I actively look for it with Brits as if I'm expecting it.
Reply 98
Hala.

Why is Canada never on those things? :ashamed2:
I don't think the quality of our actual teeth is any different, but I do believe that instant, drastic teeth-whitening in the States is much more widely available than over here.

Latest