The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nuodai
How would you go about doing that?

I suppose something like

assume lim h-->0 [(e^h-1)/h] !=1

then lim h--> 0 [(e^h-1-h)/h] !=0 (basically taking the one over in the limit)

now define a y = 1/h

so in terms of y

the limit is

(e^(1/y)-1-1/y)y !=0

implies that neither y nor e^(1/y)-1-1/y = 0
e^(1/y) -1-1/y !=0

hence e^(1/y) != 1+ 1/y
e != (1+1/y)^y as y tends to infinity

then you can expand out the RHS using binomial theorem and use L'Hopitals to show that it's equivalent to the sum of reciprocals of factorials definition of e. ('Cause if you assume the power series as the definition there's no need to go all through this I suppose so)

Sorry about the normal text, I still can't type very much Latex, Hope it's followable. There is all the possibility that I have made a mistake or a bad assumption as I haven't had any formal education on limits. So valid proof or algebraic parlour trick? :p:
Reply 21
nuodai
The reasoning isn't even correct, let alone a proof :p:

why not? assuming a continuous number line etc.
Reply 22
Wow, a load of people replied while I was typnig my first response, sorry to keep people waiting.
I'll post this reply to Nuodai, then work on answering the other posts.

nuodai
How you answer your question depends on how you define exe^x. We can define the number ee as the unique number eRe \in \mathbb{R} such that ddx[ex]=ex\dfrac{d}{dx}[e^x] = e^x. Or, we can look at it from first principles as in your example, but that requires a certain knowledge of limits which I don't want to go into if you haven't covered it yet.

Alternatively we can define the function expx\exp x by its power series
expx=n=0xnn!\exp x = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^n}{n!}

Since we're allowed to differentiate power series term-by-term, we find that...
ddx(expx)=n=0ddx(xnn!)\dfrac{d}{dx} (\exp x) = \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{d}{dx} \left( \dfrac{x^n}{n!} \right)

=n=0nxn1n!= \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{nx^{n-1}}{n!}

=n=1xn1(n1)!= \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}

=n=0xnn!= \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{x^n}{n!}

=expx= \exp x

The result that expx=ex\exp x = e^x is another proof entirely, but for the purposes of your question you can assume it's true.

I really hate to say this, but I don't understand (I've been saying that far too often lately). I've never heard of power series before, and I'm trying to understand this, but I just can't make sense of it - a search on google for an explanation of power series gave results that I still wasn't able to follow.

nuodai
The proof that ah1hlna\dfrac{a^h-1}{h} \to \ln a as h0h \to 0 is quite complicated; if you've just done A-levels then there's no point in you seeing it because it'll just look like garble... just accept it as truth :p: So given that limh0ah1h=lna\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{a^h-1}{h} = \ln a, we get that limh0eh1h=lne=1\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{e^h-1}{h} = \ln e = 1.

Nor do I (and nor did he by the looks of it), I think it's nonsense :p:

I didn;t know it approached natural log a, the book just said that for e it approached 1.

But I've only done AS levels, so it sounds like the question of how this works is one I won't encounter for some time. Which is horribly furstrating, since it means not understanding how these rules work, instead just applying them.
99wattr89
Wow, a load of people replied while I was typnig my first response, sorry to keep people waiting.
I'll post this reply to Nuodai, then work on answering the other posts.

I really hate to say this, but I don't understand (I've been saying that far too often lately). I've never heard of power series before, and I'm trying to understand this, but I just can't make sense of it - a search on google for an explanation of power series gave results that I still wasn't able to follow.

I didn;t know it approached natural log a, the book just said that for e it approached 1.

But I've only done AS levels, so it sounds like the question of how this works is one I won't encounter for some time. Which is horribly furstrating, since it means not understanding how these rules work, instead just applying them.

I'd say don't worry too much about it right now, rely on maybe a graph plotter like wolfram alpha. If you want to you can come back to this when you've done all of C4 and you'll see how it all beautifully links up, especially if you're doing FP2 where you'll learn about power series.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28e^h-1%29%2Fh

Look at what's happening when h is going closer and closer to 0 in the graph i linked.
Reply 24
Sliced Bread
Sorry about the normal text, I still can't type very much Latex, Hope it's followable. There is all the possibility that I have made a mistake or a bad assumption as I haven't had any formal education on limits. So valid proof or algebraic parlour trick? :p:

Sadly it's not valid at all :p: "Equals" and "tends to" mean very different things, and you can't treat "tends to" like you do "equals". You've got them confused along the way. Saying "ex=(1+1x)xe^x=(1+\frac{1}{x})^x as xx \to \infty" doesn't make any sense, for example.

py0alb
why not? assuming a continuous number line etc.

You didn't justify your claim at all. What you claimed is that for some yRy \in \mathbb{R}, it's true that for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}
dyxdx<yx\dfrac{dy^x}{dx} < y^x
and that there exists another number such that the < is a >.

Assuming that this is true is as big an assumption as just assuming that there exists yRy \in \mathbb{R} such that dyxdx=yx\dfrac{dy^x}{dx} = y^x. You could have just said "assume the result is true; therefore the result is true".

99wattr89

Don't worry too much about it... the problem with being taught Maths is that, in order to make it understandable, things are often presented in the wrong order. The idea is that we can define a function expx\exp x as follows:
expx=1+x+x22!+x33!+\exp x = 1 + x + \dfrac{x^2}{2!} + \dfrac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots

Differentiating this we see fairly clearly that ddxexpx=expx\dfrac{d}{dx} \exp x = \exp x.

99wattr89

Don't worry about it; I didn't know these things properly until half-way through my first year of uni. You're better understanding things in less depth, but actually understanding them, than you are attempting to go into the real deep nitty-gritty of everything and just being confused.
Reply 25
IrrationalNumber
It's not defined at 0. You don't need it to be defined at 0 for the limit to exist. (The limit considers what happens as we get close to 0, not what happens at 0).

It's pretty complicated to explain and depends on how you define ex e^x
Mathematically, the definition of a limit says that if we want the limit to be the value 'y' then we have to be able to get eh1h\frac{e^h - 1}{h} to be close to y for h that are sufficiently close to 0. Infact, if you give me a positive number, I have to show that for small enough |h|, eh1h \frac{e^h - 1}{h} is at most that positive number away from y (in this case y=1).

I thought that with differentiation, the differentiated function was the function you got when h was 0? After deriving a form that you can put h=0 into without dividing or multiplying everything by zero.
Because you want the gradient of the tangent to your equation.

py0alb
Basically, don't think of it as a coincidence that e to the x differentiates to itself. Think of it as the definition of e. The coincidence is that this number = 2.71...

The confusing thing is that it occurs at the particular value. But I probably shouldn't worry about that right now, I'm already confused enough. x_x

Sliced Bread
I'd say don't worry too much about it right now, rely on maybe a graph plotter like wolfram alpha. If you want to you can come back to this when you've done all of C4 and you'll see how it all beautifully links up, especially if you're doing FP2 where you'll learn about power series.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28e^h-1%29%2Fh

Look at what's happening when h is going closer and closer to 0 in the graph i linked.

I guess I will just accept e's nature and whatnot for now, but the thing that really still bothers me seems to be the distinction between h being almost 0 and actually being 0.

On that graph shouldn't it have a discontinuity or something at 0? Because dividing by 0 doesn't work.
Or do you somehow rearrange the formula so that you're not dividing by 0?
nuodai
Sadly it's not valid at all :p: "Equals" and "tends to" mean very different things, and you can't treat "tends to" like you do "equals". You've got them confused along the way. Saying "ex=(1+1x)xe^x=(1+\frac{1}{x})^x as xx \to \infty" doesn't make any sense, for example.

Oh, I was being lazy around that part and the brackets got too much for me, basically throughout the whole thing i'm working inside the initial limit.

99wattr89
Stuff

Yes there will be a discontinuity when the whole thing is actually zero, but we aren't actually concerned with the value of the function when it's zero, we're just concerned with the value as it gets closer and closer to zero. And that you're doing is taking the 'Gradient' of sorts when differentiating

ie ( f(x+h) - f(x))/(x+h - x) (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and all of that. But that gives you error. now if you think about it as you take points closer and closer together the error you'd get. (From the curve's actual f'(x) and your gradient thing that you've just made up) will get smaller and smaller. But you don't want to take the difference between the point and itself ie y2=y1 and x2 = x1. (Cause that's not really the gradient nor the derivative of anything)

By 'taking a limit' your error term dissapears, that's the reason why we take the limit , to give us the exact answer
Sliced Bread
It's not valid. But you are also badly misusing notation by writing "(e^(1/y)-1-1/y)y" when you (probably) mean limy(e1/y11/y)y\lim_{y \to \infty} (e^{1/y}-1-1/y)y etc, which makes it hard to pin down exactly which line is wrong.

But, for example:

limy(e1/y11/y)y0\lim_{y\to\infty} (e^{1/y}-1-1/y)y \neq 0 does not imply that limy(e1/y11/y)0\lim_{y\to\infty} (e^{1/y}-1-1/y) \neq 0; it might be that (e1/y11/y)1y(e^{1/y}-1-1/y) \approx \frac{1}{y}, in which case limy(e1/y11/y)=0\lim_{y\to\infty} (e^{1/y}-1-1/y) = 0 while limy(e1/y11/y)y=1\lim_{y\to\infty} (e^{1/y}-1-1/y)y = 1
Reply 28
nuodai

You didn't justify your claim at all. What you claimed is that for some yRy \in \mathbb{R}, it's true that for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}

Assuming that this is true is as big an assumption as just assuming that there exists yRy \in \mathbb{R} such that dyxdx=yx\dfrac{dy^x}{dx} = y^x. You could have just said "assume the result is true; therefore the result is true".

Clearly: the function F(y)=dyxdxyx \mathbb{F}(y) = \dfrac{dy^x}{dx} - y^x is either going to be positive, negative or zero. That's not a big assumption to make.

and given that we can easily find two numbers which we can substitute for y which will give a +ve and -ve result. That's not a big jump either...

The jump is in assuming that there must be a continuous progression from +ve to -ve, going through 0 on the way. The assumption is that F(y)=dyxdxyx \mathbb{F}(y) = \dfrac{dy^x}{dx} - y^x is a smooth function.
Reply 29
Sliced Bread
Oh, I was being lazy around that part and the brackets got too much for me, basically throughout the whole thing i'm working inside the initial limit.

It's not a case of being lazy or not; often you can be lazy and correct (e.g. writing things like du=2xdxdu = 2xdx when doing integration by substitution), but in this case it simply doesn't work.
Reply 30
nuodai

Don't worry too much about it... the problem with being taught Maths is that, in order to make it understandable, things are often presented in the wrong order. The idea is that we can define a function expx\exp x as follows:
expx=1+x+x22!+x33!+\exp x = 1 + x + \dfrac{x^2}{2!} + \dfrac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots

Differentiating this we see fairly clearly that ddxexpx=expx\dfrac{d}{dx} \exp x = \exp x.

Don't worry about it; I didn't know these things properly until half-way through my first year of uni. You're better understanding things in less depth, but actually understanding them, than you are attempting to go into the real deep nitty-gritty of everything and just being confused.

So it's saying that one way to calculate of e^x is that infinite series, (whose derivation I really shouldn't ask about when I'm having this much trouble already)?

Assuming that's correct, I think I see how each term differentiates to the previous term, making (dy/dx)=y.

And I know exactly what you mean when you talk about deeper understanding. My problem is that I have a lot of trouble remembering, and more importantly, correctly applying formulae that I don't understand.
Reply 31
py0alb
Clearly: the function F(y)=dyxdxyx \mathbb{F}(y) = \dfrac{dy^x}{dx} - y^x is either going to be positive, negative or zero. That's not a big assumption to make.
No, it is a big assumption. Especially when you assume (as you have to) that, for each particular choice of yy, it's true for all xRx \in \mathbb{R}.

py0alb
The jump is in assuming that there must be a continuous progression from +ve to -ve, going through 0 on the way. The assumption is that F(y)=dyxdxyx \mathbb{F}(y) = \dfrac{dy^x}{dx} - y^x is a smooth function.

That's actually the smaller assumption you make.
99wattr89
I thought that with differentiation, the differentiated function was the function you got when h was 0? After deriving a form that you can put h=0 into without dividing or multiplying everything by zero.
Because you want the gradient of the tangent to your equation.

You can't ever divide by 0. The quotient f(x+h)f(x)h \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} does not exist when h=0 h=0. You're only considering what happens when h gets closer and closer to 0.

For example, suppose we want to find the derivative of the function f(x)=x f(x)=x
We calculate that f(x+h)f(x)h \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} is 1 whenever h is non zero, so as h gets closer and closer to 0, this thing is still 1, so the limit is 1. I don't care what happens at 0 to calculate that limit- I care what happens when we get close to 0 (I also don't care what happens at h=50 for example).
py0alb

How do you know you can even differentiate yx y^x ?
nuodai

DFranklin

I see. Looks like I will have to work extra hard in analysis :p:

Out of curiosity is there a valid way of manipulating that limit to complete the proof ?
Reply 35
Sliced Bread
I see. Looks like I will have to work extra hard in analysis :p:

Out of curiosity is there a valid way of manipulating that limit to complete the proof ?

Sadly not.

Given the context of this thread, this might seem like a backwards way round of doing it, but it's valid :p:

A way of proving it is to use a result called the Mean Value Theorem, which says that if a function f(x)f(x) is continuous and differentiable for x[p,q]x \in [p,q] (with pqp \ne q) then there exists rr with p<r<qp<r<q such that f(q)f(p)=(qp)f(r)f(q)-f(p) = (q-p)f'(r).

We can consider f(x)=exf(x) = e^x on the interval [0,h][0,h]; then there exists h0(0,h)h_0 \in (0,h) such that f(h0)=ehe0h0=eh1h=eh0f'(h_0) = \dfrac{e^h-e^0}{h-0} = \dfrac{e^h-1}{h} = e^{h_0}. But, as h0h \to 0, we must have h00h_0 \to 0 too since 0<h0<h0 < h_0 < h. By continuity of exe^x, we have limh0eh1h=e0=1\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{e^h-1}{h} = e^0 = 1.

We had to assume that ddxex=ex\dfrac{d}{dx} e^x = e^x here of course, which is why it's "backwards" (as it were), but we don't require the knowledge that eh1h1\dfrac{e^h-1}{h} \to 1 to be able to derive the result ddxex=ex\dfrac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x so in the grand scheme of things it's fine.

Sadly I don't know any other proofs, so if anyone (DFranklin?) has a better proof which doesn't require knowledge of the differential properties of exe^x, please let me know.
Reply 36
IrrationalNumber
You can't ever divide by 0. The quotient f(x+h)f(x)h \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} does not exist when h=0 h=0. You're only considering what happens when h gets closer and closer to 0.

For example, suppose we want to find the derivative of the function f(x)=x f(x)=x
We calculate that f(x+h)f(x)h \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h} is 1 whenever h is non zero, so as h gets closer and closer to 0, this thing is still 1, so the limit is 1. I don't care what happens at 0 to calculate that limit- I care what happens when we get close to 0 (I also don't care what happens at h=50 for example).

But given the value of f(x), eg f(x)=x^2, isn't the goal to find the new equation by removing h, by setting h to 0?
So, you end up with 2x.
Reply 37
99wattr89
But given the value of f(x), eg f(x)=x^2, isn't the goal to find the new equation by removing h, by setting h to 0?
So, you end up with 2x.

I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here :wink:

It's a tautological result that limh0h=0\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h = 0; i.e. that h0h \to 0 as h0h \to 0. We don't actually set h=0h=0, we just look at it's behaviour as h0h \to 0. So, like in your last thread, when we had
limh0[2x+h]\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} [2x+h]
what we actually did was take out the 2x (because it doesn't depend on h), so we're left with
2x+limh0h2x + \displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h
but we know that limh0h=0\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h = 0, so this is just equal to 2x2x.

In the case limh0h\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h it looks like there's no difference between looking at the behaviour of h as it tends to zero and just setting h=0; but there is a difference, and that's what we use here.
Reply 38
nuodai
I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here :wink:

It's a tautological result that limh0h=0\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h = 0; i.e. that h0h \to 0 as h0h \to 0. We don't actually set h=0h=0, we just look at it's behaviour as h0h \to 0. So, like in your last thread, when we had
limh0[2x+h]\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} [2x+h]
what we actually did was take out the 2x (because it doesn't depend on h), so we're left with
2x+limh0h2x + \displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h
but we know that limh0h=0\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h = 0, so this is just equal to 2x2x.

In the case limh0h\displaystyle \lim_{h \to 0} h it looks like there's no difference between looking at the behaviour of h as it tends to zero and just setting h=0; but there is a difference, and that's what we use here.

Yeah, me too.

I think it's this difference between setting h to 0 and using lim h = 0 that I don't understand.
Do you think you can explain the difference? In the previous thread I though that you actually set h to 0, but you just did it after rearranging so that you got rational results.
Reply 39
99wattr89
Yeah, me too.

I think it's this difference between setting h to 0 and using lim h = 0 that I don't understand.
Do you think you can explain the difference? In the previous thread I though that you actually set h to 0, but you just did it after rearranging so that you got rational results.

When you arrive at the situation where actually setting h equal to zero, and taking the limit as h tends to zero, give exactly the same result, then the distinction doesn't really matter. Informally, we can just 'set h=0' (which is what I said in my last thread). Formally, we're not allowed to ever let h actually be zero. The difference doesn't matter when you have something like limh0h\lim_{h \to 0}h, but when you have something like limh0hh\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{h}{h} then it does matter (setting h=0 gives 0/0, but taking the limit gives 1).

I probably confused you by suddenly switching from being a bit more informal (i.e. your last thread) to being more formal here, so apologies for that :smile:

Latest