The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Narik
:woo: Finally someone else who agrees with me.

:yep:

I visited Imperial three times over the past week :teeth: just because i love the area and campus..

Plus i don't know why but Imperial seems to have some sort of scientific prestige, maybe its because they only do science degree subjects? :dontknow:
Ive visited Imperial today and spoken to some of the students. They've told me so long as you get over the BMAT cut off (which is usually HALF of each section, so around: 4.5,4.5 and 7.5) you should get an interview so long as you have solid predicted grades and a good personal statement

Unlike UCL, Imperial dont have an "overall" number which you require to get an interview...they simply use BMAT to cut-off applicants who cant make above half-points in each of the 3 sections :smile: Which, imo, is very achievable so all good :smile:
Reply 22
I'm also applying to Imperial.
Reply 23
i absolutely LOVE imperial...
but 1) its so competitive
2) the BMAT scares me :\
Ah no BMAT for me :smile:
Reply 25
I'm applying here as of today it's official! Does anyone know if Imperial particularly look at as grades. I may not be as academic as other applicants but it's definitely worth a shot!
Reply 26
worker13
I'm applying here as of today it's official! Does anyone know if Imperial particularly look at as grades. I may not be as academic as other applicants but it's definitely worth a shot!

You're predicted A*AAa...how is that not academic enough? :rolleyes:

From my knowledge, I think Imperial look at your application as a whole. As long as your predicted grades meet their criteria (which they do) and your BMAT is of a good standard too, then you stand as good a chance as any other well prepared candidate from an academic point of view. Not sure how much emphasis they place on GCSEs and whether beyond the minimum requirements they influence the application much however I'm sure you haven't done 'bad' in those either :smile:
All that's left to do afterwards is write a stunning PS and get an equally stunning reference...which reminds me I should probably get back to working on that :s-smilie:
Reply 27
oh i abosolutely LOVED this uni!!
1st choice for me...

just need to ace the BMAT now :\
Reply 28
Andrii
You're predicted A*AAa...how is that not academic enough? :rolleyes:

From my knowledge, I think Imperial look at your application as a whole. As long as your predicted grades meet their criteria (which they do) and your BMAT is of a good standard too, then you stand as good a chance as any other well prepared candidate from an academic point of view. Not sure how much emphasis they place on GCSEs and whether beyond the minimum requirements they influence the application much however I'm sure you haven't done 'bad' in those either :smile:
All that's left to do afterwards is write a stunning PS and get an equally stunning reference...which reminds me I should probably get back to working on that :s-smilie:

Thanks a lot for replying and yeah I know my predictions are good but I figure there will be applicants with much better grades than mine e.g A*A*A*.Speaking of academics yours are amazing. I'm really going to have to try hard get a good BMAT score and write a excellent personal statement as you said yourself. Thanks for the advice and I hope you and I both get into Imperial.:biggrin:
Good luck!
worker13

From the open day i was told it's done in stages:
1) do you meet GCSE criteria? This is easily done, 5 at AAABB (i think :smile: )
2) BMAT...have you passed the cut-off? (usually around 4.5,4.5,7.5...best to be in the 5's and then a 9 in section 3 to be safe)
3) - This stage is done together...they invite those to interview with the best predicted grades+PS....so the first 2 stages are to get rid of a few...and then the real selection is determined by your PS and predicted grades.

Your predicted grades are pretty good :smile: So worth a shot...i havent got mine yet but so long as i get predicted 2/3 A*s ima go for it :yep:
Reply 30
Singh993
1) do you meet GCSE criteria? This is easily done, 5 at AAABB (i think :smile: )
2) BMAT...have you passed the cut-off? (usually around 4.5,4.5,7.5...best to be in the 5's and then a 9 in section 3 to be safe)
3) - This stage is done together...they invite those to interview with the best predicted grades+PS....so the first 2 stages are to get rid of a few...and then the real selection is determined by your PS and predicted grades.

Your predicted grades are pretty good :smile: So worth a shot...i havent got mine yet but so long as i get predicted 2/3 A*s ima go for it :yep:

Predicted grades? So you're suggesting somebody predicted 4A* will be at an advantage over somebody predicted to meet the standard AAAb/AAAC offer? Interesting, people have always told me med schools don't care so long as you're predicted to meet the offer. If you're right, then :colone:.
Narik
Predicted grades? So you're suggesting somebody predicted 4A* will be at an advantage over somebody predicted to meet the standard AAAb/AAAC offer? Interesting, people have always told me med schools don't care so long as you're predicted to meet the offer. If you're right, then :colone:.

no...trust me predicted grades are mega important. they look for high predictions, regardless of what the offer will be. thats what i was told when i visited :frown:
Reply 32
Singh993
no...trust me predicted grades are mega important. they look for high predictions, regardless of what the offer will be. thats what i was told when i visited :frown:

Sweet. :colone:
Do you happen to know if they lower offers if an applicant has already achieved an A*/A in one subject at A2? That would be awesome, unlike those bastards UCL. :biggrin:
Narik
Sweet. :colone:
Do you happen to know if they lower offers if an applicant has already achieved an A*/A in one subject at A2? That would be awesome, unlike those bastards UCL. :biggrin:

hehe highly unlikely im afraid...mind if you're already got an A/A* at A2 its all good since if you do get the offer AAA from imperial, you've already fulfilled one of the 3 grades needed so it takes the pressure off no? :biggrin:
Reply 34
Singh993
hehe highly unlikely im afraid...mind if you're already got an A/A* at A2 its all good since if you do get the offer AAA from imperial, you've already fulfilled one of the 3 grades needed so it takes the pressure off no? :biggrin:

That's what I meant. If I've already got an A*, then would my offer be AA only? :p: UCL still give out an AAA offer. :sad: I might email them later on actually...
Reply 35
Singh993

This was extremely useful. Thank you so much, now I have to write a really good p.s to compete with those with 3A* prediction and prepare well enough to be confident and relaxed for the BMAT.
Good luck with your application!:smile: :smile:
worker13
This was extremely useful. Thank you so much, now I have to write a really good p.s to compete with those with 3A* prediction and prepare well enough to be confident and relaxed for the BMAT.
Good luck with your application!:smile: :smile:

no problems and best of luck to you too!
(btw relaxed is the perfect attitude with the BMAT. Even a bit of luck without too much "cramming" will get you over the cut-off and to safety so dont worry too much :smile: )
Narik
That's what I meant. If I've already got an A*, then would my offer be AA only? :p: UCL still give out an AAA offer. :sad: I might email them later on actually...

no i think when they give out the offer of AAA you have already fulfilled one of the A's...so althoguh the offer given will be AAA you only need 2 A's - if that's your point then yea... i think that should be ok :s-smilie:

not sure tho - best email out :smile:
More graduates needed in this thread.

I don't care about GCSEs or A-levels :getmecoat:
Reply 39
GodspeedGehenna
More graduates needed in this thread.

I don't care about GCSEs or A-levels :getmecoat:

I'm not a graduate but I heard that you need a ridiculously high UKCAT score to even be considered by Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending