The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CombineHarvester
If it's in the UK for less than a year then the car doesn't have to be registered in the UK.
Not always true: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_197428 Although as somebody else pointed out, most (all?) the Arabic licence plates you see have the 0-9 numerals on them, so maybe they're OK.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by sunnydude959
Guys, go and read one properly. It's got english numbers on it too.

16 month old thread, really worth it for that? :facepalm2:
I will post a picture of an average arabic car. This BMW Alpina B7 7-series has numbers in both english and arabic, as can be seen here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2784385478_e6bbd5d883.jpg
Interesting fact: We use Arabic numerals and Arabs use Hindi numerals. Numbers must travel west!
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Interesting fact: We use Arabic numerals and Arabs use Hindi numerals. Numbers must travel west!

No offence but that is such a feminine comment on a motoring discussion! haha :smile:

edit: Ok its not motoring as such, more paperwork... but still...
Reply 45
You can change the plate, but if you attempt to report them for what ever reason, the likelyhood is that their rich enough to pay them self out of troble, so either way it's futile.
Original post by concubine
Which is why fines should be proportionate to the ability to pay. Put all the money you'd get from rich dickheads towards improving crap schools or something. I mean it happens sometimes, but not often enough.
Great idea in theory. The problem is that rich dickheads will probably have most of their money in off-shore/hidden accounts, so the government wouldn't be able to determine very accurately their ability to pay.

Maybe on the second offence everyone should have to do some form of community service. (But again, that's not perfect, as they could easily just leave the country, and it'd be more bother than it's worth to track them down -- and they can hardly be extradited back for such a small offence.)

Original post by BoxesAndBangles
Actually, Arabic numerals derive from the Hindi ones, so ultimately we all use them. :idea:

They passed from Indian mathematicians on to mathematicians in Persia and thence gradually on to Europe during the Middle ages, so yes, like the song, they did go West. But they were incorporated first into the Sanskrit language, which, as an Indo-European tongue, travelled East to arrive in India. So it all works out even! :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
What a stupid thread to create. You white British people always kick up a fuss when you see anything foreign in your country, maybe we should ban people from talking in their own language too. This country really is pathetic!!!
Original post by ajtiesto
What a stupid thread to create. You white British people always kick up a fuss when you see anything foreign in your country, maybe we should ban people from talking in their own language too. This country really is pathetic!!!

This :cool:

:biggrin:
Original post by joey!
I live in London and I often see in very rich areas sports cars with arabic number plates. Surely they shouldn't be allowed in a country where the main language is English?

Imagine if you needed to report one to the police: "yeah... the plate says squiggle squiggle squiggle"?

This isn't a "bash Islam" thread, I'm just curious as it poses a blatant problem when it comes to the police and reporting cars.

How about

"I need to report the Zonda outside Harrods"
"do you have a licence number?"
"It's a f'cking Zonda"
What would happen if I was to put bacon on the bonnet of these cars?
Original post by Rimipie
that's how us arabs roll, DEAL WIDDIT

this, it's only how arab men roll, the women get a luxurious kitchen tho. the sharp knives are also taken away from them should they go mentally insane
Reply 52
It's pefectly ok to have English signs all across the word though, but just because someone is proud of where they come from, you pathetic white British people .
Original post by sunnydude959
Guys, go and read one properly. It's got english numbers on it too.

Please don't bump old threads, thanks :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending