The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
That's really bad news Ashique :frown: Have you tried ringing the university and explaining? As mentioned above, emails are useless for these types of issues and won't get you anywhere. If you ring them directly you may be able to sort it out there and then....
Reply 21
Just had another thought, would Plymouth let you defer entry for a year, so you can earn money before starting over here?
Sorry to hear it Ashique, I know how much effort you put into deciding where to go :frown:

I hope it works out somehow.
BexTait
Just had another thought, would Plymouth let you defer entry for a year, so you can earn money before starting over here?
Well, i'm not sure about the possibility of deferring entry for a year. If I join Plymouth or any other UK uni next year then I prefer to study directly Year 2 of the course.

Now you might wonder why i don't want to take a gap year. The reason behind it is that I've already spent a year since I left my school. I completed my O' levels (GCSEs) in January' 2003 and right after that I started my A' level course in the same school. My school offered an 18-month A' level programme (Jan'03-Jun'04) and I got enrolled in it. Earlier, I had my heart set on studying medicine in UK and so I studied Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. I applied to UK unis for 2004 entry to study medicine. However, due to high competition and few places available for overseas applicants in the medical schools, I was unsuccessful at all the unis by Feb' 04. Then I changed my mind and didn't sit for A' level exams in Jun' 04 session, though I completed my course in the school. So, I again applied to UK unis for 2005 entry for medicine and biomedical science. Once again, my application got rejected from the medical schools, but I got conditional offers from Queen Mary and UEL for BioMed Sci. Considering many factors I lost my interest in becoming a doctor and so I turned down my offers. Since I've got good academic grounds in Math and Physics, I recently decided to study Engineering and so I applied to Uni of Plymouth through UCAS Clearing.

Life seems to be too unfair with me as I'm not able to start my course in UK even this year on time. However, I'm now taking everything positively and I hope that I can get enrolled to a good Malaysian College in order to transfer to Plymouth or any other good uni in UK for Year 2 or Year 3 of the course.
Thank you all of you for showing your sympathies.

Emily-Sarah
....Well done for getting the offer in the first place, at least you know it wasn't anything to do with you personally. I hope that everything works out for the best....
thanx sarah...

... I hope you get over it soon and your attitude is spot on so you'll be fine, I'm sure. You will eventually get to where you want to be :wink: good luck and keep positive!
thanx for the good wishes.

Vixen
.... I reckon your parents are right. It sounds stupid but its meant to work out this way. You probably feel so terrible right now but once you get onto this INTI thing and start the ball rolling you'll feel much better. Try not to let the regret of that mistake consume you. Best of luck with everything xx
Yes, I also think it's useless to regret about it anymore. I have learnt many lessons from this whole application thing and I'll always try to make sure not to repeat the same mistake. Thanks for your good wishes and encouraging words.

ahyolmu
sorry to know about it. well atleast u dont have to wait a year like som other people do, u got ur next place strait away so thats more than lucky man. I know some people whoz application gone wrong rite at the end and had to wait whole year to start it again.
Yes, I'll hopefully start the course after a few months, but nothing would make me happier than joining a UK uni sooner or later to gain a British degree.

irisng
Aww sorry to hear that... think of it this way - you get to experience uni in both worlds - was it Bangladesh? (can't spell) AND the UK.
Nope... Malaysia and UK. :smile: though I'm from Bangladesh.

Acaila
All the best for your studies this year, and I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you are :smile:
thanx.

eugenia99093
So sorry to hear about that. INTI is a good college. However, HELP UNIVERSITY COLLEGE in Kuala Lumpur seems better than INTI. If you are interested in that, you can log on to www.help.edu.my . Having said that, both of them are prestigious instituition. If you want to know more about both of them, feel free to ask me. All the best to you! Good Luck!
Thanks for the good wishes and for providing me the link of HELP uni. I still have time to decide on choosing the right uni/coll in Malaysia and so I'll think about it and ask you when I need the help :wink:.

eleanor.ellis
im so sorry darling, but your right, everything happens for a reason. best of luck for the future x
thanx...

Latayah
awwww i'm really sorry to hear that, is joining late not an option... if you work hard i'm sure you'll be able to catch up!?
September is the only intake in Plymouth and in many other UK unis. Moreover, the new students are asked to get enrolled on or before 26th September.

SinghFello
Sorry to hear it Ashique, I know how much effort you put into deciding where to go :frown: I hope it works out somehow.
hi SinghFello... good to see u writing in my thread after a long time. Yes, I've put much effort in finding a suitable uni (i.e. Plymouth) for me and deciding on to go there. Whatever has happened, I'm taking it positively now. I'll continue putting more effort to finally make it to UK.
homoterror
That seems ridiculous, just get hold of the right people on the phone, explain the situation and get it sorted. None of this sending emails, waiting for replies stuff.
the_sand_man
sorry for ur bad news i would phone them asap and explan eamil might not be read for hrs phone are arnserd intley and exsplan if it come down to it u might have to make a trip to the uni to sort it out
BexTait
Phone the Uni, they may then be able to get in touch to help your application by perhaps faxing through an explanatory letter to whoever it is you get your visa from.
Unlucky for you mate, but this could lead to bigger things, who knows what the future may hold...
nikk
That's really bad news Ashique :frown: Have you tried ringing the university and explaining? As mentioned above, emails are useless for these types of issues and won't get you anywhere. If you ring them directly you may be able to sort it out there and then....

When I first received my Clearing Entry Form (CEF) on 29th Aug, I saw a black mark on the space provided (where you write yes/no for criminal conviction). I had a doubt and so checked the photocopy of my UCAS application. After that I realised my mistake. So I sent my CEF to Plymouth along with a covering letter stating clearly that I do not have any criminal conviction. I also gave an explanation for my mistake. They received my CEF on 1st Sep and they posted a confirmation letter with a provisional offer of a place on 2nd Sep, and I've just received it today.

On 9th Sep, the uni Admissions Manager sent me an official letter via email. In her message, she requested me to send details of the nature of my offence/s and my conviction/s ASAP so that an offer letter can be finally sent to me. As she contacted me via email in the first place, I replied her by email too. I didn't call the uni over phone as I knew that the Faculty of Technology already got my explanation from the covering letter (enclosed with my CEF). So I kept on waiting for the official offer letter. As I said earlier, I must show a copy of my offer letter to the British High Commission in order to get the entry clearance, and so I couldn't apply for the visa in early of this month.

Justice (OCD85)
Mate have you checked whether Plymouth would take you on late in the academic year? I'm sure you'll get your visa sorted out before November if you do it now and I've read an article (months ago) that some universities actually have students starting in January (unless my mind playing tricks on me)
Nope... I haven't checked it directly with the uni whether or not they'll take me later in the academic year. But I'm sure that Plymouth, like many other UK unis, doesn't admit students in January session for Engineering courses. Nevertheless, I will ask about it when I'll inform the uni about my present circumstances.
Hello everybody,

I have just posted a thread in 'International Study' subforum.
Please click here to guide me for choosing the best university/college in Malaysia for Civil Engineering (UK Degree Transfer Programme).

Thanks,
Ashique
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>

On 9th Sep, the uni Admissions Manager sent me an official letter via email. In her message, she requested me to send details of the nature of my offence/s and my conviction/s ASAP so that an offer letter can be finally sent to me. As she contacted me via email in the first place, I replied her by email too. I didn't call the uni over phone as I knew that the Faculty of Technology already got my explanation from the covering letter (enclosed with my CEF). So I kept on waiting for the official offer letter.

You're not really trying very hard. They have hundreds of people to deal with, you need to keep phoning them up and reminding them if you really want to go to Plymouth; the problem won't sort itself out with a couple of emails, a phone call and a letter.
Dr. Blazed
You're not really trying very hard. They have hundreds of people to deal with, you need to keep phoning them up and reminding them if you really want to go to Plymouth; the problem won't sort itself out with a couple of emails, a phone call and a letter.
Actually, there is no use to get the offer letter now as I've already missed the deadline date of applying for my visa. I was supposed to apply for my visa by 10th Sep ' 05 because it takes around 15 days to get the British visa. Even if I get the offer letter by this week and apply for my visa next week, I wont get the entry clearance before the second week of October' 05. Moreover, I need to look for private accommodation after I reach Plymouth. So it'll be a total mess if I go there now mainly because I will have missed a lot of lectures.
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Actually, there is no use to get the offer letter now as I've already missed the deadline date of applying for my visa. I was supposed to apply for my visa by 10th Sep ' 05 because it takes around 15 days to get the British visa. Even if I get the offer letter by this week and apply for my visa next week, I wont get the entry clearance before the second week of October' 05. Moreover, I need to look for private accommodation after I reach Plymouth. So it'll be a total mess if I go there now mainly because I will have missed a lot of lectures.

So ? You can make them up. Talk to the tutors about these things, rather than just sitting on your arse assuming your life is over.
Why don't you call them up and tell them about the mistake you made? I don't see why they wouldn't accept you because of a simply error like that.
Well... U of Plymouth has finally informed me today that they can defer my entry till 2006.
Reply 32
plymouth is a very bad university anyway so i'm afraid that your efforts have been fairly pointless.
HJTerry
plymouth is a very bad university anyway so i'm afraid that your efforts have been fairly pointless.
Oh really?:rolleyes:

can you give me some reasons why you consider it as a bad uni?
it's not a bad university, but a lot of it looks like a demolition site (as does much of Plymouth at the moment :rolleyes: )
HJTerry

Oh really? :rolleyes:

can you give me some reasons why you consider it as a bad uni?
I've chosen Plymouth because of the following good reasons:

- It's Engineering department is extremely highly rated in both teaching and research. Though it isn't rated hugely in the normal league tables, I believe this is because it is still a new university. It certainly has better facilities than some other top 10 universities that I looked at.

- 'Civil Engineering' in Plymouth scored 23/24 (Excellent) in the latest TQA, and the latest RAE score is 4 (out of max 5*). Besides that, the uni has got very good industrial links.

- It has now a medical school (Not many unis have medical schools in UK).

EDIT: Civil Engineering in Plymouth has been ranked 15th in Times league table' 2005. :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending