The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
PJ991
Mr Nestle himself paraded round Africa telling all new mothers to buy his milk.

when i said directly i meant due to some kind of study/research or something... i wasn't really after sarcasm in this case...

i'm just trying to understand the reasons for this boycott to me cos it makes no sense to me :s-smilie:

is the boycott basically because nestle advertise baby milk in poor parts of africa? or have that actually done bad things like testing milk on african twins making them die or something?
Reply 81
Strangey
By sneakily selling weed, you mean?

Oh how I love Manchester.
Wiggler
when i said directly i meant due to some kind of study/research or something... i wasn't really after sarcasm in this case...

i'm just trying to understand the reasons for this boycott to me cos it makes no sense to me :s-smilie:

is the boycott basically because nestle advertise baby milk in poor parts of africa? or have that actually done bad things like testing milk on african twins making them die or something?

They advertise it aggresively and even try and bribe doctors to reccomend it to new mothers. There was some sort of law/code of conduct thing drawn up in the 80s to stop them doing it but they still do.
Try to boycott israeli companies but fail as they produce everything popular!
the wikipedia article on the nestle thing links to a list of people/organisatiosn that have boycotted Nestle including bournemouth town council,lol

i went on their website and found minutes of a meeting where they seemingly decided against awarding nestle an ice cream contract!

must be costing nestle a fortune.
Reply 85
Wiggler

I haven't read the wiki article but a teacher told me Nestle would give their powdered milk free while the mother was it hospital and it would be promoted by staff as being really good for the baby etc. and then when the mother left hospital they had to pay for it, and couldn't afford it. I don't know about breastfeeding, so I don't know if it would be too late to start breastfeeding again.

So I think they promoted it as a better alternative. Although I know little.
Reply 86
Clubber Lang
the wikipedia article on the nestle thing links to a list of people/organisatiosn that have boycotted Nestle including bournemouth town council,lol

i went on their website and found minutes of a meeting where they seemingly decided against awarding nestle an ice cream contract!

must be costing nestle a fortune.

I bet vending machines in their swimming pools have Kit-Kats in them.
Wiggler

I think u should research this but from what I have heard the nestle company added an addititive to the baby's milk powder- they sold this on the African market for real cheap prices especially in poor areas. They marketed it well and so hence lots and lots of poor mothers bought the powder without knowing the consequences.

What happened was that when the babies drank this addititive-induced milk powder- they had become addicted to it that they rejected their mother's breast milk.

Hence, the mothers had then got to buy the nestle milk as they babies continually cried for this one but this time nestle increased their prices...so they made a profit out of poor mothers.
No, but I try to buy free range eggs and meat.
Popppppy
Personally I don't eat from McDonalds, don't buy anything Nestlé (which includes Hagen Daas and a lot of pet foods) and I try not to buy things tested on animals, though boycotting the likes of Unilever and Johnson & Johnson I find very hard because between them it seems like they own everything! (even my contact lenses are Johnson & Johnson).

EDIT: I forgot, also Apple, because of all those workers that have commit suicide :frown:

What about you? Who do you boycot and why?

Go Compare. Even if they were the last comparison site on earth I would not use it, as to not give them the satisfaction or help to further the advert actor's career. God I hate that bloody ****.
ScarlettDangerfield
I boycotted BP the other day even though my car was running out of petrol. Score!

Edit: I'm aware the other oil companies are probably just as bad as BP but given current events I felt the need to choose the lesser of two evils.

Help to destroy BP: punish British pensioners and remove the oil company that invests more than any other in the search for alternative energy sources. That will definitely make sure that no more accidents result from the world's dependency on oil.
I religiously boycott/avoid Gocompare.com purely because their annoying adverts. They rightly know how annoying their adverts are but still rub it in our faces because it's ******* "memorable", memorably hateful more like :mad:
No., but I did boycott Clinton Cards once because they were rude. Then I got over it.
Reply 93
[quote=Popppppy] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

The woman was told she could only breastfeed one of her twins, she breastfed the boy and fed the girl nestle formula. The girl died because her mother couldn't afford enough formula.

I think this story is the reason you can't get loyalty points in the supermarket for baby food.
Reply 94
Fat-Love
Is there a specific reasons?

Yup, hope this clears things up:

Tesco - getting too big, setting up a gazillion new stores everywhere you look (I live within 20 minutes of 8 Tesco stores, it's insane) and the competition are getting steamrolled without anyone batting an eyelid. I prefer Sainsbury's which is a little bit more expensive but so much higher quality.

Apple - I disapprove of their business practices and the way Steve Jobs treats his staff and customers. Also, the factory workers are being worked into the ground under extreme secrecy and pressure, despite the factories themselves being safe and clean.

Primark - Child labour, and there have been machine parts, knives and hazardous materials accidentally left behind in some of the clothes at the factory which then puts consumers here at risk.

Santander - To be fair, I haven't used them since they were Abbey, but if things haven't improved then they're still incompetent, rude, deliberately mis-selling products to people who didn't know any better and treating you like you're Ian Huntley if you dare to complain. Abbey deserved to get bought out tbh.
Reply 95
I boycott all products from the Occupied Palestinian Territories, as the profits are in effect stolen from the Palestinian farmers to fuel the illegal Israeli expansion involving the mass displacement of millions of indigenous Palestinians, ethnic cleansing and what amounts to modern-day genocide. I don't want that on my conscience, thank you. :h:

Otherwise, I avoid overtly zionist companies and companies which invest heavily in Israel.

Tyrannosaurus Cal
Caterpillar diggers tear down Palestinian homes, so I've sworn to only buy my heavy machinery from JCB.

I'd say it's about a 90% futile gesture

Haha maybe not so!

My history teacher told me of a local firm he knew hearing from a contractor that they were worried about Arabs / Muslims / people-knowledgeable-about-Palestine looking for contractors which did not use 'Caterkiller' equipment, so they avoided investing in it. :yy:

Result! :smile:

(PS. I know it's all second-third-fourth-hand possible hearsay, but I'd like to think it's true. Or at least it's plausible that such pressure could be applied on the likes of 'Cat').
Bernard Matthews after those awful videos revealed how their turkeys were treated.
Burger King after finding a human tooth in my burger last year.
Primark, since those who make the clothes get **** all.
Gap, same as above.
Apple, cos they've got far too much money already. And their products seem to break in your hands anyway.
Nestle, Monsanto, McDonalds. (I don't really eat at any fast food chains actualy, I just think they're the worst. Also they have a clown and I REALLY hate clowns). I only buy make-up that isn't tested on animals, too.

I wanted to boycott palm oil but I EPICLY FAILED when I realised it is actualy in EVERYTHING. Pretty much. But the thought was there.

Intresting thread..
...Just realised 'palm oil' isn't exactly a company.... >.>
Lozza_00
why not?

Food poisoning from their popcorn chicken, which I used to love. Some of the most most horrific 5 days/week of my life

Latest

Trending

Trending