The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You should look at fulbright or kennedy school of government scholarships. mind you, both are extremely difficult to get and you need to have a wealth of experience to even stand a chance, particularly with the latter.
Reply 2
Phantom_X
You should look at fulbright or kennedy school of government scholarships. mind you, both are extremely difficult to get and you need to have a wealth of experience to even stand a chance, particularly with the latter.

I wouldn't stand a chance with the kennedy scholarship. Nick clegg got a scholarship to the University of Minnesota. I wuld try and get one for a good state university like minnesota or chicago.
Reply 3
Also just so you know MA degrees in the US are two year not one year degrees... your best best is as Phantom_X stated is a fullbright scholarship... but the less conventional route would also be to get a Grad Assistant type scholarship/appointment...

I obtained one of these for my first MA degree from a US institution. The bigger the institution the greater the chance of getting a grad assistantship...

1. Find out which universities you are interested in..
2. Apply and hopefully get in...
3. Ask the admissions people to put you in touch with the various departments etc. that offer grad assistantships
4. Apply and wait to here... they can be academic in nature, meaning you might have to teach a class/lab or two and or mark some papers. They can also be nonacademic in nature in which you act as an admin assistant... they would rather 'pay' you in class credits then pay a full-time person who would require benefits etc... These positions usually require no less than 20 hours a week to pay for the credits... anything above that you will receive as money... hope this helps
Reply 4
vnupe
Also just so you know MA degrees in the US are two year not one year degrees... your best best is as Phantom_X stated is a fullbright scholarship... but the less conventional route would also be to get a Grad Assistant type scholarship/appointment...

I obtained one of these for my first MA degree from a US institution. The bigger the institution the greater the chance of getting a grad assistantship...

1. Find out which universities you are interested in..
2. Apply and hopefully get in...
3. Ask the admissions people to put you in touch with the various departments etc. that offer grad assistantships
4. Apply and wait to here... they can be academic in nature, meaning you might have to teach a class/lab or two and or mark some papers. They can also be nonacademic in nature in which you act as an admin assistant... they would rather 'pay' you in class credits then pay a full-time person who would require benefits etc... These positions usually require no less than 20 hours a week to pay for the credits... anything above that you will receive as money... hope this helps

thanks this is very helpful. any suggestions as to what universities I should apply to or should that be under a new thread?
Reply 5
koranreader
thanks this is very helpful. any suggestions as to what universities I should apply to or should that be under a new thread?

You should do a search for US universities that are renown in your area of interest and start writing to various departments... try and establish a rapport with some of the academics and go from there... but whatever you do, please be genuine... most can smell an ulterior motive a mile off...
Reply 6
vnupe
You should do a search for US universities that are renown in your area of interest and start writing to various departments... try and establish a rapport with some of the academics and go from there... but whatever you do, please be genuine... most can smell an ulterior motive a mile off...

thanks very much

Latest

Trending

Trending