The Student Room Group

Does use of swear words show lack of a decent vocabulary?

Inspired by Dystopian91's thread

Basically, when you see people swearing all the time, do you think less of them?

I agree and disagree, clearly when you see chavs swearing constantly it is obvious that it is because they don't know how to properly show their feelings in a non-profane way, but I sometimes use swear words to show how strongly I feel about something, even though I consider myself to have a sufficient vocabulary.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
**** off! :ahee:
If people swear excessively, without reason, then yes.

However, when you swear in a fit of rage, a rare one, then no.
I think it depends on how frequently you swear. If it's just occasionally and used in a conversation / discussion that warrants it, I certainly won't think any differently of you as I do that myself. However, when you get to ****ing swearing all the ****ing time like a ****ing c*** (like so) it becomes incredibly tiresome and takes away a lot of the purpose behind swear words which in my opinion have a pretty specific use as particularly strong words to use when needed. So yes, I'd agree that they have their place like all words in the English language. But I certainly don't swear much on a regular basis and I'd definitely be put off by someone who makes a point of swearing in every sentence that comes out of their mouth.

For example, if someone who barely ever swears shouts *hit or *uck or similar, you know that the waste matter has really collided with the rapidly spinning blades. Whereas if it's someone who would go into a café and ask for a mother ****ing cup of ****ing tea that doesn't stink worse than a badgers arseh**e did that, I wouldn't pay them much attention and would probably think that they do indeed posses a limited vocabulary.

Also, sorry if this post comes off as a little bit silly. I'm bored, tired and have ear-ache. :yep:
Absolutely not. People still swear for dramatic effect or to more forcefully illustrate a point, regardless of how good their comprehension of the English language is.

I tend to use long words and swears in equal measure when I go off on a tirade about something lmao
Reply 5
It's not the presence of obscenities, but the circumjacent (!) words that counts.

For example, Will Self's books are saturated with such profanities as 'cock', '****', '****', 'gash' etc.

But then his stories hinge on little puns like the difference between 'imminence' and 'immanence' etc - pretty hardcore vocab.
Reply 6
I'm immediately put off somebody if every other word they verbalise is a swear word. It sounds incredibly unsophisticated. Swearing in a moment of passion or anger, however, is different.
Reply 7
I'm gloriously, passionately, unabashedly and unrepentantly – though by no means inveterately – profane.
Reply 8
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM

Stephen Fry is wonderful and addresses this issue better than anybody
Reply 9
Shameless hijack of my OP :p: -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26698551#post26698551

Only messin you **** ***** **** ********** ****** ****** ****** ******* **(?)
Reply 10
that, or passion.
No not really. Swear words can add effect to sentences that wouldn't otherwise be possible.
Reply 12
Dystopian91
Shameless hijack of my OP :p: -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26698551#post26698551

Only messin you **** ***** **** ********** ****** ****** ****** ******* **(?)

You are credited at the top of the OP
Dan-Scotland
You are credited at the top of the OP

I was messing, read the quoted post maaannnnnn* (held back for extra asterix's)
Profesh
I'm gloriously, passionately, unabashedly and unrepentantly though by no means inveterately profane.

As am I. Maybe I wouldn't go as far as someone on my course did last year, and call Philip Larkin a WORST WORD YOU CAN THINK OF WOW OMGZ HE SED IT HE REALLY DID in a seminar, but if Deleuze is allowed to swear in his essays then I can swear without being thought of as reductive or invalidating an argument.

This brings me to the more general point of - why aren't people allowed to swear on this website? People troll anyway, and it's not exactly the kind of place that attracts idiots (see: youtube). It's really old fashioned and a bit embarrassing.
Reply 15
I like swear words themselves, but not if someone repeatedly uses them without sufficient reason as it doesn't create a nice atmosphere. Also it depends on the manner in which the person uses them :h: :h:
Reply 16
Dan-Scotland
Inspired by Dystopian91's thread

Basically, when you see people swearing all the time, do you think less of them?

I agree and disagree, clearly when you see chavs swearing constantly it is obvious that it is because they don't know how to properly show their feelings in a non-profane way, but I sometimes use swear words to show how strongly I feel about something, even though I consider myself to have a sufficient vocabulary.

Discuss.

yeah. damn chavs. but dumb indie and metal kids who swear alot are fine
mel0n
I like swear words themselves, but not if someone repeatedly uses them without sufficient reason as it doesn't create a nice atmosphere. Also it depends on the manner in which the person uses them :h: :h:

Words are not public asthetics though, they are intended to apply human meaning to our currently perceptible Input/Output universe.
Reply 18
lm_wfc
yeah. damn chavs. but dumb indie and metal kids who swear alot are fine

I was using them as ana example, of course other people swear too. :facepalm:
No, although people who swear more may GENERALLY have a worse vocabulary (not even convinced this part is true), this does not prove that every single person who swears has a bad vocabulary.

Latest

Trending

Trending