The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

albion-mad-nick
The only solution to that is an English Parliament. All nations will benefit from the introduction of an English Parliament. Sadly, there is only one party (the English Democrats) that is actively pushing for this. It simply isn't fair that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland get their own governing powers yet the country with the largest population (by a very, very long way) gets zilch.

Conservatives campaigned for english only days actually.
Reply 21
ScummyBathtub
Since when did i say that people were too stupid to rank their top choices? It's more of a case of a new system being introduced that would take some getting used to, and some people who could only just drag themselves out to vote before may not be bothered if it's a whole different system. Nothing to do with being stupid, or me being stupid, *******.

:rolleyes:
Lefty Leo
:rolleyes:

What a fabulous retort.
Yay, lets vote AV and give the LibDems the choice of king maker every time!
Could someone please explain to me exactly how AV works?

Do I have to list multiple parties or else my vote is void? Or can I still vote for one and leave the other choices empty?

Many thanks.
Reply 25
ScummyBathtub
What a fabulous retort.

I don't see why i need to retort to be honest. There was nothing you said in your post that countered mine. You tried to play semantics, but you're only replacing stupid with lazy and really there isn't much difference when it comes to voting between a lazy voter who doesn't express his viewpoint and a stupid one who doesn't express his viewpoint. If anything it could be argued that a lazy voter is usually a stupid one. I guess i could refine my post by saying: if you're suggesting people are so stupid / lazy that they'd rather stay at home because their voting system is slightly more complicated, then ..

Having said that, in the UK public apathy is very high, largely due to the fact that a huge number of votes are wasted. This system remedies that to a small degree. If full PR was brought in the whole safe seat concept would disappear and a lot more people would vote, as their vote would actually count. Likewise with STV, as people everywhere could express their preferences rather than have to vote tactically and dishonestly.
Reply 26
fox_the_fix
Yay, lets vote AV and give the LibDems the choice of king maker every time!

Yah, you see, that's generally what the point of democracy is: to make sure a majority elects the country.
Lefty Leo
If you're suggesting people are so stupid that they'd rather stay at home because their voting system is slightly more complicated, then ..

Your post was largely garbage, i just didn't want to waste time explaining why :nopity:

When did i say that people were too stupid to go out and vote or grasp the new system? Don't make me defend a point i didn't raise in the first place.

The voting turnout for the 2010 elections was 65.1%, the highest it has been since 1997. Introducing a new system i believe will reduce the voting turnout. I believe it will lower voting turn out for many reasons. One, it has been argued that introducing AV would bring about a minimal change to the outcome of elections. Two, the majority of people who vote are used to the FPTP system. I believe that changing the entire system for minimal benefits is an unnecessary procedure.
Lefty Leo
I don't see why i need to retort to be honest. There was nothing you said in your post that countered mine. You tried to play semantics, but you're only replacing stupid with lazy and really there isn't much difference when it comes to voting between a lazy voter who doesn't express his viewpoint and a stupid one who doesn't express his viewpoint. If anything it could be argued that a lazy voter is usually a stupid one. I guess i could refine my post by saying: if you're suggesting people are so stupid / lazy that they'd rather stay at home because their voting system is slightly more complicated, then ..

Having said that, in the UK public apathy is very high, largely due to the fact that a huge number of votes are wasted. This system remedies that to a small degree. If full PR was brought in the whole safe seat concept would disappear and a lot more people would vote, as their vote would actually count. Likewise with STV, as people everywhere could express their preferences rather than have to vote tactically and dishonestly.

Do you think people are apathetic towards voting because they believe that their vote is wasted? As i have mentioned in my previous post, AV will bring about minimal benefits if it ir introduced, so i don't see how more people will turn out to vote. Also, a lot of people who i have spoken to who did not vote, didn't because they didn't care about who is in power. It wasn't due to being worried that their vote will be wasted. I do believe a proportion of the population are ignorant when it comes to politics though. Not because they cannot grasp it intellectually, but more so because they don't care.
More Lib Dems?
No thanks.

Against ftw
Reply 30
I'll be voting for the Alternative Vote. It will probably make politics in Britain more democratic and resolve the unfairness of a runner-up who loses their campaign by a tight margin.

I hope the government reforms the size constuencies as well. The size of the constituencies are simply outrageous! Most of them are too varied in size: Labour gained a dozen seats through very tiny constituencies in Wales, whereas the Lib Dems only gained fewer seats in Scotland because their constituencies were mammoth in size. Something needs to be done to ensure fairness between all political parties.
Reply 31
ScummyBathtub
When did i say that people were too stupid to go out and vote or grasp the new system? Don't make me defend a point i didn't raise in the first place.

The voting turnout for the 2010 elections was 65.1%, the highest it has been since 1997. Introducing a new system i believe will reduce the voting turnout. I believe it will lower voting turn out for many reasons. One, it has been argued that introducing AV would bring about a minimal change to the outcome of elections. Two, the majority of people who vote are used to the FPTP system. I believe that changing the entire system for minimal benefits is an unnecessary procedure.

The benefits are immense. If AV is brought in no government will be formed without lib dem influence. That means in 2 more general elections we will have a minimum of STV if not full PR. And full PR has is very beneficial for democracy. Don't kid yourself: FPTP is not democracy, it's successive minority rule. Even thatcher didn't get a proper majority, and there hasn't been an actual majority government since world war two; you've had successive minority governments forcing their minority agenda on the majority who didn't actually vote for them, and because of how FPTP operates don't have a way of getting themselves heard.
Compare France's Trente Glorieuses, which was characterized by unstable, constantly shifting STV elected governments, to it's Fifth Republic, which was characterized by an overstrong executive (DeGaulle onwards). Britain has had that overstrong exective for centuries, and it's no surprise it's one of the worse countries in the fully developed West, despite having immense colonial advantages.

FPTP main cited 'benefit' is stability. But it is a false illusion of stability; for the five years of one party rule, no mishap, no catastrophe or disaster can constitutionally force the government to resign; in a STV or PR democracy all that would be required for the government to collapse and for the change in national mood to be represented in the upper echelons of politics would be the withdrawal of a coalition partner.
Reply 32
ScummyBathtub
Do you think people are apathetic towards voting because they believe that their vote is wasted? As i have mentioned in my previous post, AV will bring about minimal benefits if it ir introduced, so i don't see how more people will turn out to vote. Also, a lot of people who i have spoken to who did not vote, didn't because they didn't care about who is in power. It wasn't due to being worried that their vote will be wasted. I do believe a proportion of the population are ignorant when it comes to politics though. Not because they cannot grasp it intellectually, but more so because they don't care.

That too is a problem of FPTP. Because of how it operates, people vote tactically, not for who they support. There is apathy for who runs the country because the Labour Party and Conservative party are largely identical on most issues. They argue about the frills but the core of their argenda is largely unrestrained capitalism and a controlled population. And people vote for Labour because, despite the fact that nothing they stand for is what Labour supporters actually want (thinking themselves equality loving social democrats, which labour are not when it comes to the meaty issues), simply because they think Labour is the only party they can support which is realistically electable.
With full PR (or even STV), most Labour supporters would eventually realise that New Labour is not something that stands for them and vote for a more leftist party, such as the Lib Dems or the SDLP. But because of how FPTP operates, they cannot, as their vote will be wasted and their voice unheard.
It would be a step in the right direction, so yes.
Reply 34
Against. Sounds like a bad idea.
Lefty Leo
The benefits are immense. If AV is brought in no government will be formed without lib dem influence. That means in 2 more general elections we will have a minimum of STV if not full PR. And full PR has is very beneficial for democracy. Don't kid yourself: FPTP is not democracy, it's successive minority rule. Even thatcher didn't get a proper majority, and there hasn't been an actual majority government since world war two; you've had successive minority governments forcing their minority agenda on the majority who didn't actually vote for them, and because of how FPTP operates don't have a way of getting themselves heard.
Compare France's Trente Glorieuses, which was characterized by unstable, constantly shifting STV elected governments, to it's Fifth Republic, which was characterized by an overstrong executive (DeGaulle onwards). Britain has had that overstrong exective for centuries, and it's no surprise it's one of the worse countries in the fully developed West, despite having immense colonial advantages.

FPTP main cited 'benefit' is stability. But it is a false illusion of stability; for the five years of one party rule, no mishap, no catastrophe or disaster can constitutionally force the government to resign; in a STV or PR democracy all that would be required for the government to collapse and for the change in national mood to be represented in the upper echelons of politics would be the withdrawal of a coalition partner.

I don't doubt that STV would help the Lib Dems get more power, and reflect the public's voting patterns more truthfully. However, with the introduction of AV Lib Dems would have only gained 22 more seats, according to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/10/alternative-vote-minimal-impact-general-election. Therefore the introduction of AV would have little impact in the results of the general election.

As for your point on stability. I don't really have a problem with the way a government can stay in power for 5 years before the public can vote them out. Public opinion of the government can change easily, and if we're constantly changing government because we don't like a particular policy, or the way they are running the country, nothing would be implemented at all.
Reply 36
ScummyBathtub
I don't doubt that STV would help the Lib Dems get more power, and reflect the public's voting patterns more truthfully. However, with the introduction of AV Lib Dems would have only gained 22 more seats, according to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/10/alternative-vote-minimal-impact-general-election. Therefore the introduction of AV would have little impact in the results of the general election.

As for your point on stability. I don't really have a problem with the way a government can stay in power for 5 years before the public can vote them out. Public opinion of the government can change easily, and if we're constantly changing government because we don't like a particular policy, or the way they are running the country, nothing would be implemented at all.

Yeah, and those 22 seats mean that (if the results stay constant for the lib dems, as they have done for the last 2 general elections, roughly), no government can rule without lib dem support. Which means that there will always be a 'more proportional voting system' clause in any coalition government.

Yeah that's kind of the point of democracy, to make sure that if a government can't muster enough public support it can't pass a bill. That way the country gets actual democracy, not what some ivory tower eton educated snob is in everybody's interest (or rather, knows full well it is in his interest but camouflages it as the public interest).

In full PR, people vote for the party that best represents their interests. If the government does not favour the interests of the majority (ie, the common man) then it can't pass a bill. I don't really see how you can argue for executive power simply because without it what is unpopular cannot pass.
Reply 37
amiparanoid
Thank goodness for AV; it'll give MPs a proper mandate, and stop a lot of this 'tactical' voting(and, by extension, a lot of the aggressive campaigning techniques, mostly used by Lib Dems). I genuinely think it'll change British politics significantly; not necessarily the composition of the house, but the attitude of those running for office.

No it won't
AV is a less proportional system and thus they don't have a proper mandate. Equally, it may exacerbate tactical voting.

AV is the worst system of them all. We should all vote no, then demand AMS or STV.
Reply 38
Teaddict
No it won't
AV is a less proportional system and thus they don't have a proper mandate. Equally, it may exacerbate tactical voting.

AV is the worst system of them all. We should all vote no, then demand AMS or STV.

Yes, because the British people are known for being able to affect government policy through protests and petitions? :wtf:
Reply 39
Against, mainly because I prefer the current system. A lot of elderly people I have spoken to say they fear of becoming confused over the new system. Should be a close result I reckon.

Latest

Trending

Trending