The Student Room Group

Uni reputation help

Even if i am just entering highschool this autumn and have some years ahead, i am looking for universities in the UK to apply to. After talks to my teachers i decided i will study Law. But i have been told good university reputation is `demanded` for employment after a Law degree.
My question is: is that really important? Would going to a less prestigious university will really affect my employment chances?
And what universities would you reccomend? Ones that dont require an interview because( IF my UCAS application would be accepted) living in Romania and traveling to the UK in my final highschool year( when i have my Baccalaureate) would be quite hard, not to mention the financial issues.
Reply 1
LaviniaIoana
My question is: is that really important?

Possibly not as much as you're being told. People seem to think you need to attend a "prestigious" law school otherwise you wouldn't even get into a small high street firm. But university name does still have its importance, particularly in the bar and amongst larger regional firms and especially Magic Circle firms.

But your academic performance (aim for a 2:1 or fist with consistant performance) and your extra-curricular activities will be at least as important as the institution you attended.

A firm would rather employer a stronger candidate from a less prestigious law school if that person was able to demonstrate they were the stronger candidate. For example, a Manchester or Newcastle graduate with a first/2:1 and who interviews better than a Kings College London graduate who has a 2:1.

It's just a good rule to go into the strongest university you are able to get into AND feel comfortable with. For example, if you really don't want to study in a large city and face the expense of London then don't go to UCL or KCL. But there are universities of a similar standing and quality (eg. Durham and Warwick) which you might prefer. Or, if you think you'll be bored in a small city, choose UCL over a smaller university like Durham. It's no good going to a prestigious law school if you will hate the environment.

Have a look at this stickied thread in the law forum. The groupings aren't perfect as there are some very good law schools missing. But it does provide a guide.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

In short, always try and aim for the strongest law school you can realistically get into with your grades. But make sure you like the environment.

This is a rather rushed post. Will try and be back later :p:
Reply 2
Thanks a ton for the reply, it is truly helpful. I like smaller cities, so London is not really for me. Also, i looked at the Warwick website and it will probably be one of my top choices. I didn`t get to look at all universities yet, but i looked at some and my five choices would be:
1.Leicester
2.Warwick
3.Southampton
4.Sussex
5.Leeds

I will look in that topic right now. =)
Reply 3
LaviniaIoana
Thanks a ton for the reply, it is truly helpful. I like smaller cities, so London is not really for me. Also, i looked at the Warwick website and it will probably be one of my top choices. I didn`t get to look at all universities yet, but i looked at some and my five choices would be:
1.Leicester
2.Warwick
3.Southampton
4.Sussex
5.Leeds

I will look in that topic right now. =)

That sounds like a god combination to me - Warwick, Leicester, Southampton and Leeds all have really good law schools. I don't know too much about Sussex, but I doubt that its law course is as oversubscribed as the others and it's always good to have a more safe choice. :smile:
Reply 4
While it's good to look ahead and plan, you should probably be focussing most of your energy on doing well in school. Grades will be whatever you decide to do, and while you want to study law *now*, in two years you might have changed your mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending