The Student Room Group

What to do with someone who owes you money?

In March I bought four concert tickets, three of which were for friends because they had no home internet to be online when they went on sale. I knew it was risky then, especially since I wasn't getting paid straight away due to being away at uni.

Well two of them paid me on the day of the concert but the other text me a couple of weeks earlier asking if he could wait until his pay day shortly afterwards. That day came but he just gave an excuse, that was early June. I had to go back to uni a few days later so I put the matter on hold until I got back for the summer in early July. So I asked him again on Facebook in early July and he replied saying he'd sort it for me and that was all he said. It's now August and I've heard nothing from him.

I don't consider this guy a friend, more of an acquaintance. I wasn't keen on buying his ticket at the time but I didn't want to deny my friend's BF from seeing his favourite artist. I thought I'd do the others in the group a favour. I never see this guy, he's split up with my friend and while they're still friends it's unlikely I'll see him again unless randomly or to give me the money.

So what do you people suggest I do? It pisses me off that he's working fulltime, yet I'm currently unemployed and he is just being a dick about this. He owes me £74 which is a lot when you aren't working. I've told him that but he doesn't seem to care.

I don't plan to do anything illegal and it's unlikely I could take him to a small claims court as the only evidence that he owes me anything is in texts or Facebook messages. What should I say to this guy?

Scroll to see replies

Say nothing.
Find out where he lives and demand the money from his parents:smile:
Sephiroth
In March I bought four concert tickets, three of which were for friends because they had no home internet to be online when they went on sale. I knew it was risky then, especially since I wasn't getting paid straight away due to being away at uni.

Well two of them paid me on the day of the concert but the other text me a couple of weeks earlier asking if he could wait until his pay day shortly afterwards. That day came but he just gave an excuse, that was early June. I had to go back to uni a few days later so I put the matter on hold until I got back for the summer in early July. So I asked him again on Facebook in early July and he replied saying he'd sort it for me and that was all he said. It's now August and I've heard nothing from him.

I don't consider this guy a friend, more of an acquaintance. I wasn't keen on buying his ticket at the time but I didn't want to deny my friend's BF from seeing his favourite artist. I thought I'd do the others in the group a favour. I never see this guy, he's split up with my friend and while they're still friends it's unlikely I'll see him again unless randomly or to give me the money.

So what do you people suggest I do? It pisses me off that he's working fulltime, yet I'm currently unemployed and he is just being a dick about this. He owes me £74 which is a lot when you aren't working. I've told him that but he doesn't seem to care.

I don't plan to do anything illegal and it's unlikely I could take him to a small claims court as the only evidence that he owes me anything is in texts or Facebook messages. What should I say to this guy?

buy a gun
Reply 3
Break his legs!
Reply 5
I waisted something around that on a prodigy+pendulum+chase n status + more gig like.. last week or two weeks ago.. cuz was on holiday, it sucked :frown:

The only thing you can do it hassle him. He probably is just avoiding it, but if you keep going back and asking him over n over he may give in.
If that fails, try the.. "give me 50 quid instead" or something,just to get SOMETHING back.
To be fair, sounds like you got skanked big time. You may have to let it go.

Otherwise, REVENGE.
Just keep hassling him, and threaten him with small claims if he doesn't get on with it. I'm pretty sure you could still use Facebook messages and texts as proof, if they're saying that he says he'll pay you back for the tickets.
Reply 8
Letting something go is not my style. But I don't want to think about "revenge" yet.
I know where he lives but he's moving out next week I think, back to his parents place and while I know the street they live in I'm not sure of the house.

But yeah what kind of message should I send him now?
Sue him.
give them chocolate.....
Genocidal
Break his legs!

You read my mind, that or you could put his windows in.

Damn you, I was about to post that... :holmes:
Say you need the money by a week tomorrow and that if you have not recieved it by then you're going to have no choice but to use more formal means of getting the money back.
Knock on his door with a cricket bat and an empty duffle bag..
Reply 15
Idiot-Finder
Say you need the money by a week tomorrow and that if you have not recieved it by then you're going to have no choice but to use more formal means of getting the money back.

I think that's what it will come to. But I figure I should contact him one last time before moving to that level. I've been patient about it all so far. Kinda looking for something to say between what you suggest and being nice.
Sephiroth
I think that's what it will come to. But I figure I should contact him one last time before moving to that level. I've been patient about it all so far. Kinda looking for something to say between what you suggest and being nice.

Something like.. Sorry to go on, but I need some money for X and I am running low at the moment, you still owe me that £70 from ages ago and its dragging on a bit now.. could you get it to me in the next week?
Reply 17
nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag nag :biggrin:
Reply 18
Idiot-Finder
Something like.. Sorry to go on, but I need some money for X and I am running low at the moment, you still owe me that £70 from ages ago and its dragging on a bit now.. could you get it to me in the next week?

I like that suggestion but I'm not sure he'll believe I'm running low on cash... Worth a try though.
Personally, I've found public requests make a lot of difference. If there's people they respect or are close to around, they tend to take more notice (from experience). When in an unavoidable situation, prompting with "So, given you borrowed in June, when are you going to repay my £74? Do you really want me to keep asking?" has an effect sometimes (unless they're a dick).

Latest

Trending

Trending