The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stephen Hawking or Roger Penrose, they seem pretty educated :yep:
Although I've only met them briefly. Wouldn't say we're lifelong chums or anything.

If we're talking about people who I actually 'know', then probably my Applied Mathematics lecturer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sokal
Teveth
My cousin has 6 BA/BSc degrees, 3 MScs and two PhDs, as well a a host of professional qualifications.

It's amazing the lengths some people go to to avoid getting a job.
Reply 82
ragnar_jonsson
Yep. Oops, he also founded Scandinavia's first privatised television station. And he does quite a bit of business stuff. Hahaha.

Which one?
katebushfan
Most educated? My uncle, cambridge degree, PhD etc. Though I don't think he's particularly smart or wise. Wisest person I know would be my Mum, who does seem to know everything, despite not having a degree. Most well read person would be another uncle - who has a degree from Kent in Maths (I think).

Do you know what your Uncle's occupation is??
boromir9111
Do you know what your Uncle's occupation is??

I wasn't sure of his occupation so I just asked my Mum about it - apparantly his degree isn't maths, it was maths and statistics. He works in the medical defense union but she's not sure of what his title is. But a big portion of his job is calculating the probability of who will die from certain things and it's all to do with insurance. It confused me, so sorry if that's a crap explanation.

I do know that he is extremely well paid though, so it could be a good area to go into if you're doing maths.
Reply 85
S.R
Keep telling yourself that. Ignore the London Met grad-Costa Coffee employee correlation.

I keep forgetting the McDs pun is inapplicable to London "universities".
Most educated? My new HoD and previous Operating Systems tutor. Got a Bachelors in Maths, Ph.D in Nuclear Chemistry from California University, worked at HP and Berkeley on ARPANET, turned down Sun when they were starting, now HoD of a Computer Science department. Legend doesn't begin to describe it.
katebushfan
I wasn't sure of his occupation so I just asked my Mum about it - apparantly his degree isn't maths, it was maths and statistics. He works in the medical defense union but she's not sure of what his title is. But a big portion of his job is calculating the probability of who will die from certain things and it's all to do with insurance. It confused me, so sorry if that's a crap explanation.

I do know that he is extremely well paid though, so it could be a good area to go into if you're doing maths.

Yeah, i think he's in the actuarial field is what they call it......ahh, thanks for that :smile:.....quick question, by well paid, how do you know he is??? what figures we talking here?? sorry for these questions, but wanna keep my options open :biggrin:
RobbieC - Masters degree in Natural Science :sogood:
Reply 88
I saw Stephen Fry in a cafe last year and sat next to his table so it's only fair I say him.
boromir9111
Yeah, i think he's in the actuarial field is what they call it......ahh, thanks for that :smile:.....quick question, by well paid, how do you know he is??? what figures we talking here?? sorry for these questions, but wanna keep my options open :biggrin:

I know he gets over £70K per year but I don't know how much more (It could be by a lot more, or just slightly over, I find it rude to ask, haha). Don't base anything on that though, I'd say it would be much easier for someone his age (over 40) to have secured a job and get paid a good amount then it will for people our age once we finish uni :/.
katebushfan
I know he gets over £70K per year but I don't know how much more (It could be by a lot more, or just slightly over, I find it rude to ask, haha). Don't base anything on that though, I'd say it would be much easier for someone his age (over 40) to have secured a job and get paid a good amount then it will for people our age once we finish uni :/.

True dat......that type of job, passing more and more exams increases the pay. So, experience counts as you said rightly :smile:.....thanks for that useful info, much appreciated and shall +rep you when i can :biggrin: x
boromir9111
True dat......that type of job, passing more and more exams increases the pay. So, experience counts as you said rightly :smile:.....thanks for that useful info, much appreciated and shall +rep you when i can :biggrin: x

Haha you're welcome, don't worry about the rep, you repped me ages ago in a Kent Uni thread anyways so you won't be able to do it for a while.
Reply 92
S-man10
I meet the most intelligent person everyday when I look in the mirror.

bravo!!!!!!:woo:
specialk_698

Hey, that guy's bio is just brilliant! (education-wise)
Reply 94
Bedshaped
I remember at school my science teacher claimed to have a degree in psychology, chemistry and law. I don't quite understand why he's a science teacher if he has three degrees, but each to their own eh?

Not getting the answers I wanted...

1) Who's the most educated (define as you want) person you have ever met?
2) What qualifications did they have?
3) What is their current occupation?

I think we went to the same school! If we did then that same teacher claimed to have done medicine for a year and then dropped out (and then did all of those other subjects)
Did his surname begin with M?
Focus08
Which one?

Iceland's Stöð 2 (Channel 2).
Reply 96
iPod
I think we went to the same school! If we did then that same teacher claimed to have done medicine for a year and then dropped out (and then did all of those other subjects)
Did his surname begin with M?

Yep it did.
My tutor.
Prof John F Morris, BSc, MB, ChB, MD, MA, FMedSci
Wellcome-Franks Fellow and Tutor in Medicine, Lecturer in Pre-Clinical Medicine, Professor of Human Anatomy, Director of Pre-Clinical Medicine at Oxford University.

It's just frightening.
Reply 98
My A level biology teacher had a degree in biology, a separate degree in psychology and a PHD. He was also studying for a masters in something at the time. Smart guy he was.
Reply 99
Dnator
My A level biology teacher had a degree in biology, a separate degree in psychology and a PHD. He was also studying for a masters in something at the time. Smart guy he was.

So...not me?

Latest

Trending

Trending