The Student Room Group

Will I need a laptop for a nursing course?

So I want to be a nurse, my laptop is getting old - but will last a while longer.I can either get a new laptop now for christmas, which will be out of date in 2 years time, or make this one last out and get a new one for university. I want to know - is a laptop really important to a nursing course and there for I should get a new one in two years, or will a older one be fine.

If it isn't necessary to get a new one then I'd just use my old (which will now be new) laptop for emails ect.

does that make sense???

I hope so !

so what is the answer?
Reply 1
I wouldnt go as far to say really important, but definatly useful like it would be with any university course.

You'll have assignments etc and you're going to need something to research and write them on.
Reply 2
My laptop is about 3 years old & i'm taking it with me for my nursing course.
I'll need it for assignments & research.
Reply 3
Becky_90

sawha89

yeah I get that I will need a laptop :smile: - I was more wondering if the level of the work would require a brand new laptop!
Reply 4
I wouldnt say so.

As long as you can type assignments up and be able to get the internet etc for research then any laptop is good enough!
Reply 5
Becky_90
I wouldnt say so.

As long as you can type assignments up and be able to get the internet etc for research then any laptop is good enough!

Thx wicked! because loads of my friends are forfeiting loads of stuff to get a new laptop for Uni, but I'd rather have a older one if I don't need a new one !:biggrin: thanks!
Reply 6
No problem.

I think most people just fancy a new one, at least that way you know (or hope) its not gonna break on you within the three years!
Reply 7
Becky_90
No problem.

I think most people just fancy a new one, at least that way you know (or hope) its not gonna break on you within the three years!

yeah thats true ..... hmmmm I shall have a little think!! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I would strongly suggest having a laptop.

I am finishing a Midwifery degree and from experience:

You will need to write up your assignments, which can get tricky in a library when everybody else has exams and you don't. Some universities submit their essays electronically only rather than in paper form, and most of the research is available on line much more easily and quickly than leafing through reams of journals in the dungeons of a library.

Latest