The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TShadow383
Well, that was entirely predictable.

tory council around here is getting criticised for paying 7 people around 80k in special recognition payments,

i spose the ipads will serve a business purpose at least :wink:
Reply 21
Lefty Leo
LOL, government spending is very opaque and there is a lot of genuine waste. For example in the ringfenced (for what reason i don't know) NHS, many hospitals they have motion sensing taps, which turn on when your hands go underneath and don't need to be touched. Apparently this is for hygeine reasons. The potential benefit of such a technology, hygeine wise, is minimal -however each unit costs much more than a normal tap.

I think you're trolling....

Motion sensing taps are far more hygenic than ordinary taps because they prevent the transfer of pathogens.
Hate my county council.
Reply 23
An iPad isn't a laptop. What are they going to do when they realise the office software isn't free and all they will have is a multimedia device?
I'm outraged, I'll get my lynching rope and we can form an angry mob.
at least you don't live in Leicester city, where they are wasting your money, like some of us do! :frown:
Reply 26
:indiff: my taxes being spent well there
This is pathetic, considering the state of this countrys economy
Reply 28
This is just crazy, an ipad is a luxury item, therefore those that can afford it should buy one with their own money not the taxpayers! They will just have to make do with their 'heavy' laptops! Just makes you wonder what else they ask for and get for free...
Lefty Leo
LOL, government spending is very opaque and there is a lot of genuine waste. For example in the ringfenced (for what reason i don't know) NHS, many hospitals they have motion sensing taps, which turn on when your hands go underneath and don't need to be touched. Apparently this is for hygeine reasons. The potential benefit of such a technology, hygeine wise, is minimal -however each unit costs much more than a normal tap.

Exactly how much more? I fail to believe they cost a significant amoutn more than a normal tap, especially when used so frequently.

Hygeine is obviously very important in medical establishments, and provide clear benefits in terms of stopping the spread of harmful substances when used correctly; hence the whole need to wash hands all the time - "Time to lean, time to clean."

When you go into a public toilet, half of the problem with hygeine isn't washing your hands; it's touching the tap afterwards to turn it off, touching the paper towel holder, and of course, the door handles.
DarkWhite
Exactly how much more? I fail to believe they cost a significant amoutn more than a normal tap, especially when used so frequently.

Hygeine is obviously very important in medical establishments, and provide clear benefits in terms of stopping the spread of harmful substances when used correctly; hence the whole need to wash hands all the time - "Time to lean, time to clean."

When you go into a public toilet, half of the problem with hygeine isn't washing your hands; it's touching the tap afterwards to turn it off, touching the paper towel holder, and of course, the door handles.

I don't know, i had this same discussion with my mum (anaesthetist). She suggested that the cost was much greater (the taps need insulated IR sensors :p:) and the potential benefit negligible (as in a hospital everybody cleans their hands with antiseptic when switching wards anyway). I'd suggest it's not good value for money, even though it might be useful.
Reply 31
Lefty Leo
I don't know, i had this same discussion with my mum (anaesthetist). She suggested that the cost was much greater (the taps need insulated IR sensors :p:) and the potential benefit negligible (as in a hospital everybody cleans their hands with antiseptic when switching wards anyway). I'd suggest it's not good value for money, even though it might be useful.

McDonalds have sensor taps, can't be that expensive.
Dnator
McDonalds have sensor taps, can't be that expensive.

McDonalds are a very profitable company and earn their money, rather than being splurged on by governments. Even so, across the board (all goverment services), most importantly in education, there are serious shortfalls and massive cuts on the way. It seems a bit silly to buy for the NHS superawesomecool taps when university fees are doubling. I'd be fully in favour of a cut in the NHS to be honest. Infact the whole system could be hugely boosted if people had to legally buy health insurance, with the government covering the cost for the poor, unemployed etc and subsidizing it for those at the lower income ranges, while those with self caused conditions pay a premium not fully covered by the government (as it is in France and Germany, for example, who have better healthcare systems).
Reply 33
Lefty Leo

That's hardly the worse spending excess in the NHS, MRSA is no party!
Reply 34
Meus
An iPad isn't a laptop. What are they going to do when they realise the office software isn't free and all they will have is a multimedia device?

They all obviously just wanted free iPads.
Organ
That's hardly the worse spending excess in the NHS, MRSA is no party!

MRSA is no party, but spending on IR taps that marginally reduce the spreading of MRSA isn't a great idea either, imo. There are cheaper ways :p: And i never said this is the worst excess :fyi: But just one relatively tiny example (the point is there are quite a few 'inefficiencies' in the NHS).
Reply 36
Lefty Leo
MRSA is no party, but spending on IR taps that marginally reduce the spreading of MRSA isn't a great idea either, imo. There are cheaper ways :p: And i never said this is the worst excess :fyi: But just one relatively tiny example (the point is there are quite a few 'inefficiencies' in the NHS).

I'm just pissed they took away the white coats.
Nice to see Leicester council continuing to smell like ass.

Not like the council buildings need a complete refurbishment, or bus services need to be improved, or the city's parks need to be maintained properly, or the traffic lights on London Road need to have their timing fixed . . . nah, let's spend the money on ******* useless gimmicks instead! What a good way to invest in civic services :smile:
Reply 38
iPad's ftw.
Aphotic Cosmos
Nice to see Leicester council continuing to smell like ass.

Not like the council buildings need a complete refurbishment, or bus services need to be improved, or the city's parks need to be maintained properly, or the traffic lights on London Road need to have their timing fixed . . . nah, let's spend the money on ******* useless gimmicks instead! What a good way to invest in civic services :smile:

Atleast they have to publicly reveal this stuff nowadays; it should cut down on excessively wasteful expenditure hugely, although i imagine small time corruption will continue.

Latest

Trending

Trending