The Student Room Group

Interesting and useful psychology resources

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by grape:)
I watched this! While I found it interesting, I just wish they would go into more technical depth with the facts, I appreciate that it is made for a wide target audience.... but there never are any in depth programmes....

While I agree with this I don't think it was insultingly dumbed down and, in fact, it covered a good breadth, if not depth of information whilst still being accessible to the general public. Psychology definitely needs a greater, and better informed, coverage in the media.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Katie_louise

While I agree with this I don't think it was insultingly dumbed down and, in fact, it covered a good breadth, if not depth of information whilst still being accessible to the general public. Psychology definitely needs a greater, and better informed, coverage in the press.

Yeh, I know I know.... It's just me, while I think it was excellent for the general public, and not dumbed down as you say, personally I would love a Psychology TV channel with very in-depth programmes for Psychology nerds. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by grape:)
Yeh, I know I know.... It's just me, while I think it was excellent for the general public, and not dumbed down as you say, personally I would love a Psychology TV channel with very in-depth programmes for Psychology nerds. :smile:

Listen to the All in the Mind podcast (by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation) if you want some in-depth stuff :yes: (not all of the episodes are on psychology btw)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 43

Listen to the All in the Mind podcast (by the Australian Broadcasting Company) if you want some in-depth stuff :yes: (not all of the episodes are on psychology btw)

Only available til 23rd Nov, but interesting - on illusions :smile: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vhw1d/Horizon_20102011_Is_Seeing_Believing/#
Did anyone watch the Horizon episode 'Is Seeing Believing?'? I found it interesting and well made, but feel free to disagree with me :tongue:

I saw the last few minutes, it sounded like it had been an interesting programme :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by ~ Mandy ~
I saw the last few minutes, it sounded like it had been an interesting programme :smile:

Iplayer it :yes: (unless it has gone already)
Iplayer it :yes: (unless it has gone already)

Still there. Just watched it.
Reply 48
Original post by Anonymous-
Still there. Just watched it.

Oh good. What did you think?
It was the one that I linked to as well :o: I wanted more info! I was kinda hoping one of my old lecturers would make an appearance as his speciality was visial perception
I would also add The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo, I haven't finished yet but it's a very interesting book.
Reply 51
Original post by The Cornerstone
I would also add The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo, I haven't finished yet but it's a very interesting book.

Then you would like this talk by Zimbardo- 'How people become monsters ... or heroes'

:yes:
Then you would like this talk by Zimbardo- 'How people become monsters ... or heroes'

:yes:

Thanks:biggrin:, I wasn't really into social psych but this book made me a bit more interested in it.
How about The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart for the books section? Don't know how useful it is, but it's definitely interesting.
Reply 54
Original post by xKTx
It was the one that I linked to as well :o: I wanted more info! I was kinda hoping one of my old lecturers would make an appearance as his speciality was visial perception

My department seem to do more visual attention stuff...not sure how well that would translate to tv :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by midpikyrozziy
How about The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart for the books section? Don't know how useful it is, but it's definitely interesting.

Do you mind telling us a bit about it? I will put it up, thanks :biggrin:
Do you mind telling us a bit about it? I will put it up, thanks :biggrin:

It's fiction, actually written by a guy called George Cockcroft but under the pen name of Luke Rhinehart. It's about a psychiatrist who decides to base all his life decisions on the casting of dice (ie he writes down 6 possible options, casts a die, then picks the corresponding option from the number on the die). Quite controversial, and got banned in several countries, but a very good read.
Sounds a bit like 'Yes Man' altho that was real :smile:
Original post by xKTx
Sounds a bit like 'Yes Man' altho that was real :smile:

Well, it is semi-autobiographical, but trust me, with some of the subject matter, you'll be glad it's not real.

And this was released in 1970s, whereas Yes Man was early 2000s if I'm not mistaken. Yes Man is basically a watered down version of The Dice Man, much less interesting in my opinion.
Reply 59
Brainwash: The Secret History Of Mind Control by Dominic Streatfield

I'm not sure it's technically a "psychology book" but it's relevant and it's very interesting

Quick Reply

Latest