The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kpwxx
At my school if you got an A there was a high chance you'd be in the local paper.

LMAO what school did you go to? Brixton Academy?
Mr M
Roger Porkess of MEI and ACME has been waging a one-man campaign that is beginning to pay off.

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/FM_and_medical_schools.pdf

OK, so it's not just my imagination. I wasn't sure of the reason F.Maths had become so popular, and just assumed it was a combination of watering down and the Internet.
I believe that you may get a letter for getting one of the top 5 raw marks in the country. I know that happened to people taking modern languages at my school. The board sent them a letter to inform them that they had achieved one of the top 5 raw marks in the country.
DFranklin
What ever is typical / easiest to work out.

Looking at one example for one year with one Awarding Body, 841 raw marks out of 864 (97.3%) would have translated into 1180 UMS. I'm not sure that told us anything really!
safmaster
As the title says: if you get a very high UMS overall for AS Maths, say 590/600 for C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and M2, do you get a letter in the post congratulating you?

no, my mate got 600/600 and got nothing, just the same old grade as everyone else =P
Mr M
Looking at one example for one year with one Awarding Body, 841 raw marks out of 864 (97.3%) would have translated into 1180 UMS. I'm not sure that told us anything really!
Well, it told me a bit; I was sure I'd seen some fairly unimpressive "A grade ~= 60% raw" type stats for some of the FM modules, so I was expecting the raw %age to be lower than that.
Reply 46
why do you care? yay, a generic letter from OCR saying i did well. You already know that you did well, your parents/ teachers/ friends/ self/ university will tell you did well so what's the point of a letter? its superfluous
Fat-Love
yah! the queen personally writes one to you.

nah Carol Vorderman comes and gives you a blowy
Reply 48
SimonM
Really? I'm finding it hard to believe that I didn't get full marks on any of my A level papers.

Its not any;its ALL.
Kreuzuerk
Nada. I'd imagine most schools with a decent maths department each have a bunch of students getting 590+.

Nope
Reply 50
S.R
LMAO what school did you go to? Brixton Academy?

No lol, I live in Fenland, there is very little aspiration here. Most people stay here (not necessarily a bad thing, just that there isn't much to do around here). Many get married and have kids at a very young age. Etc etc.

This is the press release from my a-level year:
http://www.neale-wade.cambs.sch.uk/news/aas_results_summer2009.pdf
The famous exam board letter home is what many GCSE students work towards, unofficially known as an 'A*H'. Many high achieving students who get very high UMS as AS become demotivated at A2 after not receiving the congratulatory letter, possibly even failing to get an A* overall.
Kreuzuerk
Nada. I'd imagine most schools with a decent maths department each have a bunch of students getting 590+.

My school's maths department is good (roughly 70% get As at A Level), but I don't think we normally get a bunch of people with over 590.
easyindeed
Yes, I got 595/600 and got a letter from the Queen herself congratulating me, apparently with 5 more marks I would have received a knighthood.

lol :top:
Reply 54
Reflexive
nah Carol Vorderman comes and gives you a blowy

Now i really regret flopping C4
Reply 55
''LMAO what school did you go to? Brixton Academy?''
lol great reply.
There are some seriously heated, private schooled, debates going down in this town
I think there probably are hundreds of students scoring 590+ UMS in their A level mathematics: but kinda trivial right??!
Reply 56
No, that would be retarded.
Reply 57
Some obnoxious fools posting in this thread. Step back and think "Is this really the way i should look at things?"

Anyway, moving on

Kreuzuerk

Do you mean a decent maths department as in teachers?
Some awful teachers in great schools where kids can teach themselves
Some great teachers in awful schools bringing kids up well beyond expectation yet never hitting A's

Remember many schools state "We require a C grade to do A level and strongly suggest you have done Higher at GCSE"

590+ UMS coming up based on that?
VersaEmerge
no, my mate got 600/600 and got nothing, just the same old grade as everyone else =P

Not high enough mate. :p:
Reply 59
I got 199/200 at GCSE English Literature and the head of English said that the exam board (I think it was AQA) had told them I had gotten one of the top 5 marks in the country. There were two other people in my school who were the same, one who got 197 and the other got 200. The English head told me that they had stopped sending letters out to candidates from my year onwards. My school also had some letters for candidates who scored very highly in their A levels. I can remember a few letters were received for General Studies and someone got an very high mark in A level Art.

I think they might have stopped sending letters for high marks.

Latest