The Student Room Group

Geert Wilders: Hero or Monster?

Poll

Geert Wilders: Hero or Monster?

Quite a controversial politician.

Do you think he is a bigot and an Islamophobe who would enact fascist policies against Muslims if he gained a position of power, or do you think he is a champion of freedom of speech, and one of the only credible politicians to speak out against Islam and the growth of Islam in modern Europe?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's starting a multinational (5 nations) anti-Muslim unison parade or something like that in a few months...

And no party in NL will even agree to enter into a coalition with his 'party', which is essentially a one-man show of himself and a bunch of quiet supporters.

There are loads who are 'champions of freedom of speech' but he is not one of them. And you frequently attack those who use phrases without considering their meaning MT, so I predict your personal bias and ask, how could anybody see him as a champion of free speech? How has he gone about guaranteeing free speech to those who lacked it, or ever stood up in defence of it and succeeded against those who would want the right restricted? Maybe his supporters do, to hear his messages.

But in reality he is a fringe element testing Europe's acceptance of free speech, which comes at the expense of extremists like him. I'm sure the vast majority of those who stand by the democratic principles of free speech and the universal right to stand in elections etc. stand by these principles in spite of men like Geert Wilders, certainly not for such people.
I'm indifferent to him but I don't think he is a facist. He has some quite liberal view points which are incompatible with Islam.So while I disagree with him on his whole anti-Muslim agenda, I don't think he is a monster.
DJkG.1
He's starting a multinational (5 nations) anti-Muslim unison parade or something like that in a few months...

And no party in NL will even agree to enter into a coalition with his 'party', which is essentially a one-man show of himself and a bunch of quiet supporters.

There are loads who are 'champions of freedom of speech' but he is not one of them. And you frequently attack those who use phrases without considering their meaning MT, so I predict your personal bias and ask, how could anybody see him as a champion of free speech? How has he gone about guaranteeing free speech to those who lacked it, or ever stood up in defence of it and succeeded against those who would want the right restricted? Maybe his supporters do, to hear his messages.

But in reality he is a fringe element testing Europe's acceptance of free speech, which comes at the expense of extremists like him. I'm sure the vast majority of those who stand by the democratic principles of free speech and the universal right to stand for elections etc. stand by these principles in spite of men like Geert Wilders, certainly not for such people.

My post tries to propose two biased positions with question marks, to ignite the debate.
Reply 4
another thread? really? :frown:
Reply 5
Margaret Thatcher
My post tries to propose two biased positions with question marks, to ignite the debate.

Yeah I see that.

But these few words kinda give away your own bias in the debate:

"one of the only credible politicians to speak out against Islam and the growth of Islam in modern Europe"

If you'd said "a credible politician..." instead, it wouldn't be so obvious. Otherwise your other posts give you away lol. :p:

But back to the neutral note, do you agree with what I wrote about how he is not a champion of free speech, or disagree? If so, I'd like to know why. Unless you'd rather keep out of it and let others fall over each other which will inevitably happen in this thread lol.
I wouldn't say he's a monster or a hero. I voted indifferent
Hero.

He has the balls to point out the elephant in room.

The Muslims who are getting upset about Europeans defending their culture need to be told to FIFO.

Fit in or f*** off.
Reply 8
He's a hero. He stands up for liberal values that are under threat by religious *****.
bump
It always makes me laugh when Wilders' critics call him a Nazi.

Let's do a few comparisons (I'll get negged for this but I don't care):

Wilders:
Freedom of Speech
Gay Rights
Democracy
Equal rights for women
Willingness to debate
Support for Jews

Nazism:
Intolerance
Submission to authority
Hatred of opposing views
Homophobia
Antisemitism
Misogyny
Suppression of freedom

Islam:
Intolerance
Submission to authority
Hatred of opposing views
Homophobia
Antisemitism
Misogyny
Suppression of freedom

Hmmm...I wonder who the Nazis are???
Reply 11
Grim_the_Reaper
Hero.

He has the balls to point out the elephant in room.

The Muslims who are getting upset about Europeans defending their culture need to be told to FIFO.

Fit in or f*** off.

I fully agree with you. Great way to put it.
Reply 12
DJkG.1

But in reality he is a fringe element testing Europe's acceptance of free speech, which comes at the expense of extremists like him. I'm sure the vast majority of those who stand by the democratic principles of free speech and the universal right to stand in elections etc. stand by these principles in spite of men like Geert Wilders, certainly not for such people.

I think the point about freedom of speech isn't with regard to the general public or the state, but rather in regard to extremist Muslims who have gone out of their way to attack and kill many of those who speak out against them - especially in the Netherlands. There are a lot more people out there, even politicians already in power, who want to speak out against the Islamisation of Europe, who won't because their lives and families will be in danger. The guy who drew the picture of Mohammed for instance has to live in a secret location guarded by police with panic rooms installed in his house. Whether you think he should draw a picture of Mohammed or not, he should have the right to without being in fear of his life. Islam currently holds an extremely priviledged position above criticism or scorn in Europe, and that is why Geert Wilders is a champion of free speech. Of course because he is saying something you disagree with you agree with those who want to suppress free speech, but put your personal biases aside for just one second just this once.
Reply 13
Elipsis
I think the point about freedom of speech isn't with regard to the general public or the state, but rather in regard to extremist Muslims who have gone out of their way to attack and kill many of those who speak out against them - especially in the Netherlands. There are a lot more people out there, even politicians already in power, who want to speak out against the Islamisation of Europe, who won't because their lives and families will be in danger. The guy who drew the picture of Mohammed for instance has to live in a secret location guarded by police with panic rooms installed in his house. Whether you think he should draw a picture of Mohammed or not, he should have the right to without being in fear of his life.

Calm the propaganda for a minute. I'll reply to the rest.

Islam currently holds an extremely priviledged position above criticism or scorn in Europe, and that is why Geert Wilders is a champion of free speech.

That causal relationship makes no sense whatsoever. You've fallen for the same trap as the hypothetical bigot I questioned. Thanks for coming to fill that void though.

Of course because he is saying something you disagree with you agree with those who want to suppress free speech, but put your personal biases aside for just one second just this once.

Excuse me? "...you agree with those who want to suppress free speech...".

Don't make up lies.
Reply 14
Elipsis
I think the point about freedom of speech isn't with regard to the general public or the state, but rather in regard to extremist Muslims who have gone out of their way to attack and kill many of those who speak out against them - especially in the Netherlands. There are a lot more people out there, even politicians already in power, who want to speak out against the Islamisation of Europe, who won't because their lives and families will be in danger. The guy who drew the picture of Mohammed for instance has to live in a secret location guarded by police with panic rooms installed in his house. Whether you think he should draw a picture of Mohammed or not, he should have the right to without being in fear of his life. Islam currently holds an extremely priviledged position above criticism or scorn in Europe, and that is why Geert Wilders is a champion of free speech. Of course because he is saying something you disagree with you agree with those who want to suppress free speech, but put your personal biases aside for just one second just this once.

I don't see how he can be a champion of free speech when what he's really doing is just promoting a type of speech he likes (namely, the speech of those who criticise Islam) and attempting to suppress the speech of those he doesn't like (namely, Muslims). That's nothing to do with free speech - he's just defending his interests in an illiberal fashion...
DJkG.1
That causal relationship makes no sense whatsoever. You've fallen for the same trap as the hypothetical bigot I questioned. Thanks for coming to fill that void though.

Makes sense to me, anytime anyone says anything remotely critical of Islam they're tacked with the 'Islamophobia' label, a term invented to stifle any criticism of the ideology of Islam.

DJkG.1
Yes Elipsis, white people are inherently superior; Muslims are a drain and have never advanced the science, technology or the arts; Muslims all cling to lorries and boats to get into amazing white paradises; women are physically weaker and intrinsically less intelligent than men; and Christianity is the unquestionable truth for all people through all times. :rolleyes:

Two words: Slave Trade

The Islamic slave trade makes it's European counterpart seem like a pleasure cruise.

Google 'Islamic slave trade India'

Finally just about every Islamic country is an oppressive hellhole except for the elite few.

FACT.
Reply 16
Grim_the_Reaper
Makes sense to me, anytime anyone says anything remotely critical of Islam they're tacked with the 'Islamophobia' label, a term invented to stifle any criticism of the ideology of Islam.

Yeah don't you hate it when terms are invented.

Just like the term 'racism' to stifle any criticism of people along ethnic lines, or 'sexism' to prevent us keeping women locked away in basements.

Why can't we just use the terms given to us at the point of creation ey? :rolleyes:

Two words: Slave Trade

The Islamic slave trade makes it's European counterpart seem like a pleasure cruise.

Google 'Islamic slave trade India'

Finally just about every Islamic country is an oppressive hellhole except for the elite few.

FACT.

What the Islamic slave trade has to do with Geert Wilders being a champion of free speech or not is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should resist the urge to shout out your hatred of Muslim with copied-and-pasted lists and entirely irrelevant references to slave trades and "just about every Islamic country [being] an oppressive hellhole" for enough time to think about the actual topic at hand. Is that really too hard?

Seriously, I want a reply. What does the slave trade or your ignorant views on foreign nations have to do with this at all, even if they are true? :rolleyes:

And ending your unfalsifiable ramblings with the word FACT in upper-case doesn't make it true bud. :no:

If I was more of a geek, I'd probably class you as an 'epic fail' lol. Ta ta.
DJkG.1
Yeah don't you hate it when terms are invented.

Just like the term 'racism' to stifle any criticism of people along ethnic lines, or 'sexism' to prevent us keeping women locked away in basements.

Why can't we just use the terms given to us at the point of creation ey? :rolleyes:

Or 'Naziphobe' to stifle criticism of Nazism, 'Communistphobe' to stifle criticism of communism, 'Antisemitiphobe' to stifle criticism of Anti semitism and 'Homophobiaphobe' to stifle any criticism of Homophobia?

After all, 'Islamophobia' means about as much as these terms do.

In otherwords nothing whatsoever.

DJkG.1
What the Islamic slave trade has to do with Geert Wilders being a champion of free speech or not is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should resist the urge to shout out your hatred of Muslim with copied-and-pasted lists and entirely irrelevant references to slave trades and "just about every Islamic country [being] an oppressive hellhole" for enough time to think about the actual topic at hand. Is that really too hard?

Seriously, I want a reply. What does the slave trade or your ignorant views on foreign nations have to do with this at all, even if they are true? :rolleyes:

And ending your unfalsifiable ramblings with the word FACT in upper-case doesn't make it true bud. :no:

If I was more of a geek, I'd probably class you as an 'epic fail' lol. Ta ta.

I mention the Islamic slave trade since we hear alot about Islam's 'accompilshments' but very little about its crimes.

Name me one Islamic country that is democratic and economically prosperous with equal rights for all.
Reply 18
DJkG.1
Calm the propaganda for a minute. I'll reply to the rest.

Excuse me? "...you agree with those who want to suppress free speech...".

Don't make up lies.

And with my personal biases aside, I would still accuse you of rationalising into glorification anything said by another anti-Muslim bigot but that would be quite properly lost on somebody who makes and believes in disgusting racist and sexist statements such as these:

Yes Elipsis, white people are inherently superior; Muslims are a drain and have never advanced the science, technology or the arts; Muslims all cling to lorries and boats to get into amazing white paradises; women are physically weaker and intrinsically less intelligent than men; and Christianity is the unquestionable truth for all people through all times.

Don't expect another response from me but feel free to reply as you always do. I won't mention your fake degree or make-believe £100,000/year business this time, don't worry.

The fact people are killed on a reasonably regular basis, and no one can criticise Islam - whereas Christianity which is comparably better gets a slamming almost non-stop, shows there is clearly a supression of free speech going on. My point about there being no where for white people to go to get away from Muslims holds entirely true - they have one third of the planet to go to as they please to get away from us and our way of life, but wherever I go they seem sure to follow. And the thing is they drag down everywhere they go. Even places where they are all richer than here (indeed throughout the UAE most people get a basic wage of about £30,000 whether they choose to work or not) they have created a hell hole. And women are weaker, this is a fact. If we were physically equal there wouldn't be seperate races in the olympics. Men also have higher IQs on average - this too is a fact. Trust you to deny scientific facts. Muslims have indeed done comparatively little to advance this world. It must take some serious acrobatics in that little brain of yours to work out why they account for 20% of the world but no where near that amount of nobel prize winners. I'm sure you'll think of some Arab achievements before Islam even existed to prove me wrong, but there has been a comparative void of intelligence amonst Arabs and all Muslims since its creation.
Reply 19
Kolya
I don't see how he can be a champion of free speech when what he's really doing is just promoting a type of speech he likes (namely, the speech of those who criticise Islam) and attempting to suppress the speech of those he doesn't like (namely, Muslims). That's nothing to do with free speech - he's just defending his interests in an illiberal fashion...

Muslims have the right to speek like this, and indeed they do. Why can't he without being in fear for his life? I had the misfortune of wandering into a ghetto in Rotterdam almost entirely populated by Muslims and it was absolutely terrible, I can see why the movement against them is slightly further ahead there than here.

Latest

Trending

Trending