The Student Room Group

5 A levels? Too Much? Unwise? Oxbridge.

Here is the problem. This September i'll be entering year 12 and so I need to select which A levels to take. I quite want to take 5 A levels in:

History, Chemistry, Psychology, Geography and Biology.

My goal is to get into Cambridge (or perhaps Oxford like my Uncle did many decades ago) to study History. Will taking 5 A levels have a negative effect on my application and will this amount of work be too much for me?

My assumption is at the moment is that the Science A levels will be easier than the heavy workload of History and Psychology which are very wordy, especially as the sciences have no 'traditional' essay style coursework but, as I understand, have ISA style practical based tests. Is this wrong?

Also I keep hearing that A levels are a big step up academically. Is it really so much harder?

It would be helpful to bear in mind that I wish to keep some time free for playing on the Rugby and/or Cricket team also.

I should add that I intend to cut down to three or four at A2 level.

Am I trying to do too much?

Thank you for reading so far. Any advice is welcome and will be gratefully recieved.

P.S I would include my GCSE results to show what kind of student I am but obviously they don't come out until the 24th of August so you shall have to take my word that I am an able student.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
5 A levels will not have a negative effect. Sciences are pretty easy, but in my experience, chemistry is harder than physics, and biology is apparently a lot of memorising, so you may've picked the two which are more work. I wouldn't say A levels are much of a step up(bearing in mind I did the scottish equivalents).
5 A levels will be a lot for some people, others will find it easy. We can't tell you which you'll be.
Reply 2
Wilko1900
Here is the problem. This September i'll be entering year 12 and so I need to select which A levels to take. I quite want to take 5 A levels in:

My goal is to get into Cambridge (or perhaps Oxford like my Uncle did many decades ago) to study History. Will taking 5 A levels have a negative effect on my application and will this amount of work be too much for me?

My assumption is at the moment is that the Science A levels will be easier than the heavy workload of History and Psychology which are very wordy, especially as the sciences have no 'traditional' essay style coursework but, as I understand, have ISA style practical based tests. Is this wrong?

Also I keep hearing that A levels are a big step up academically. Is it really so much harder?

It would be helpful to bear in mind that I wish to keep some time free for playing on the Rugby and/or Cricket team also.

Thank you for reading so far. Any advice is welcome and will be gratefully recieved.

P.S I would include my GCSE results to show what kind of student I am but obviously they don't come out until the 24th of August so you shall have to take my word that I am an able student.

Cambridge regard psychology as an A-level of 'limited suitability', meaning they don't really want you to take it, it is seen as a 'soft' subject by Cambridge. Psychology is a lot of work though, with lots of case studies to remember, and lots of essays to write. You don't want to be doing that when you've already got four other hard and challenging subjects.

Cambridge's list of preferred subjects:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Spending time on a fifth subject might make your other grades suffer, AAAA is better than AABBB, and with the latter, you wouldn't be accepted by Oxbridge.
If you plan on Oxbridge, then 5 A levels should be manageable for you. Probably best to (as you said you will) drop at least one going to A2 level. I have a friend who's got an offer off Cambridge which specifies A*AA PLUS any grade in a fourth A2 level. But that's the only time I've heard of someone being forced to do 4 A2 levels... I do four but that's because Cambridge won't accept music for my offer.

5 should be fine at AS level. I take it you'll b e doing General Studies too (not that that affects the workload in any way)?

EDIT: :ditto: to what the above poster said, psychology is not generally well accepted by cambridge, I do believe that it is a "blacklisted" subject.
If you intend to cut down to 3 at A2, why overburden yourself with 5 to begin with? Rather than do 5 and get AAAAA, do 3 and get A*A*A*. If you can that is. At the end of the day, all universities will give an offer for 3, and doing more in no way officially helps you whatsoever. Do whatever you feel, but if you feel capable of doing 5 to an acceptable standard, then surely you can do 3 to an exceptional standard.
Reply 5
5 is do-able, especially as you will have some January exams. Just be sure you want to do this, the workload is fine for 5 but I don't know about your sporting commitments.
Reply 6
You only really need to have 3 A2s and 1 AS, but as you're set on doing more, I'd drop Psychology (for reasons in the other posts) and just keep the others. Maybe you could handle the workload of five, but why risk your grades if you know you could get in without that many?
Reply 7
I'd say forget psychology, and go with the other four. No need to sacrifice potentially better grades for doing a fifth AS.
I did 5 and General Studies, OP, and those subjects, and their grades, had nothing to do with why I didn't get a Cambridge offer. (I know, I got feedback. :awesome:) It's perfectly doable.
Reply 9
Duckzilla
Cambridge regard psychology as an A-level of 'limited suitability', meaning they don't really want you to take it, it is seen as a 'soft' subject by Cambridge. Psychology is a lot of work though, with lots of case studies to remember, and lots of essays to write. You don't want to be doing that when you've already got four other hard and challenging subjects.

Spending time on a fifth subject might make your other grades suffer, AAAA is better than AABBB, and with the latter, you wouldn't be accepted by Oxbridge.

To be honest as a 4th or 5th choice you can take anything and get away with it. I don't see why it might in any way affect your application if you happened to do film or media in your spare time.

ps that list is trinity-specific; colleges vary in their entrance criteria
around
To be honest as a 4th or 5th choice you can take anything and get away with it. I don't see why it might in any way affect your application if you happened to do film or media in your spare time.

ps that list is trinity-specific; colleges vary in their entrance criteria

Film or media in your spare time as a non-A level would be good, but you don't want a heavy A-level like psychology to take up your time so much with revision and essays that your other grades suffer because of it. At least if you do something in your spare time as an extra circular activity then you can stop or start any time without having to stress about knowing all the content to be examined on, and there are no deadlines either.
Wilko1900

Don't do 5 A Levels, and I'll tell you why:

Scroll down to "Number of A-levels studied" for the source

Spoiler

Important quotes:

*Our general view is that three academic/traditional and relevant subjects at A level are usually quite sufficient to show the width of an applicant’s interests and their ability to manage a range of differing complex academic tasks.
*For Arts and Social Sciences courses, therefore, we are much keener that applicants show broader and deeper knowledge of their chosen subject (or those closest to it if a 'new' subject) rather than accumulating extra A levels.
*If students have a genuine interest (and can sustain high quality work) in more than three A levels then we, of course, have no objection to them pursuing these – but we are not usually going to require that they do.
*Certainly we would expect students taking three subjects in Year 13/Upper Sixth to demonstrate at interview and in their personal statement that they have extended their studies beyond the curriculum.

Looking at your A-levels, cut out Psychology. Seeing as you want to do History, Cambridge prefers a deeper knowledge of their chosen subject (see above), and it's on List B of the Trinty College list.

Hence, I'd advise 4 A-levels at maximum and aim to get over 90 UMS in each of them (as Cambridge looks at UMS marks). I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already.

AAAAA does not necessarily mean it is better than AAAA. 5A at 80 UMS (i.e. scraped an A) is certainly no better than 4A at 95 UMS. 4 A-levels will also allow you to develop a further interest in History, rather than revising for your Psychology exam.

Essentially, Psychology is useless. I 100% believe they would honestly prefer you to have had done some further reading or took part in relevant extra-curriculars related to History (such as going to public lectures or work expeirence with a local archivist), than a poor A (or even a high A) in Psychology.

For further information, contact Cambridge specifically. But really, the source I have provided should be enough information in why you shouldn't do 5 A-levels, and perhaps even 4 A-levels.

You shouldn't be questioning whether 5 A-levels is too much, but whether it will help you get into Cambridge History. The fact is, it won't.

My answer is backed up by a response from Cambridge. Make the right decision - drop Psychology.
its not really a big step up from gcse.

i wouldn't to physchology, its not very well respected as an a'level.

but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do 5. i know plenty of people who are doing and have done 5. the workload is easily manageable and nowhere near like what you'll be getting at universitity.
if you do find it too much you can always drop one of them.

just make sure you can get at least 90% in each subject. if you get a way into the year and think you'll struggle then drop a subject.
also A*A*A* will be worth more in an admission tutors eyes than A*AAAA. so bear that in mind.
im so academic, thankyou so much for your input. I was in a similar situation but with different subjects and a demanding job which limits my study time and this has shown me that four A Levels are just fine :smile: I won't post about my entire situation cause this isn't my thread, but still.
Reply 14
Duckzilla

Thank you so much for posting that link, I was debating between politics and history but the list puts politics as 'limited suitability' so I think history will be the one. rep for that soon as I can (probably tomorrow)
Reply 15
I am gonna be doing this :hahaha: after you've taken those and screwed yourself over.
My advice would be to give it a shot if you genuinely want to do all 5. If, a month or so into the course, you find that it's too much you can always drop one. I dropped my 5th subject in the middle of year 13 because it took up too much time.

About the academic step-up, it is quite big indeed. Many students are used to sailing through school while barely doing any work and still getting straight As. At AS this changes and this might hit some people a bit unpleasantly. Getting used to actually sitting down and studying can be hard after 10 years of barely doing any work for school, at least it was for me. I always recommend people to find a quiet place where they like to study. For me this was the library because I'm too distracted at home but different things work for different people. It's easy to think "I'm smart, I didn't have any problems before, why start doing work now?" Don't fall into that trap.
Reply 17
Do the subjects you enjoy! If you are the type of student looking at Oxbridge I am sure you will handle the pressure of 5 AS levels. If you are thinking of taking 5 because you think it will make you look better, take less, but if your reasoning is hey I really enjoy all these subjects and don't want to drop one - do them!

I did 5 AS level options - Geography, History, Philosophy, Politics and Law plus General Studies which was compulsory - I really enjoyed each subject and although it was hard work I came out with 6 A grade AS levels at the end of the year. I then dropped Philosophy and carried on the other 4 at A2 level and of course General Studies, obviously my results are pending but I am predicted 2 A*'s and 3 A's. I don't think doing a large number made it more difficult for me to get these grades.

As long as you have straight A's for Oxford and at least one A* for Cambridge they won't really care how many there are, although I guess you would look like an interesting candidate if you have more and a mix of subjects. :o:
rmcknight1
Do the subjects you enjoy! If you are the type of student looking at Oxbridge I am sure you will handle the pressure of 5 AS levels. If you are thinking of taking 5 because you think it will make you look better, take less, but if your reasoning is hey I really enjoy all these subjects and don't want to drop one - do them!

It's not about "handling the pressure". I'm sure ALL Oxbridge candidates are capable of taking 5 AS levels. The fact is, what's more important is your enthusiasm and dedication to your subject, not taking extra AS levels, because you can.

As long as you have straight A's for Oxford and at least one A* for Cambridge they won't really care how many there are, although I guess you would look like an interesting candidate if you have more and a mix of subjects. :o:

Wrong.

The subject choices also matter. Oxbridge tend to favour the more rigorous and academic subjects. Cambridge especially - they don't give a **** how many As you've got. They care more about UMS marks which they see.

You could have 8As but on a borderline 80 UMS. And tbh, it won't help your application one little bit.

Also, what is this ******** about "taking a mix of subjects makes you a more interesting candidate"? :lolwut: Do you have a source for this?

Having a "mix" of subjects does not make one a better candidate for Oxbridge admission. Exceptional performance in the entrance tests, academic ability shown through in the interview etc etc makes you the better candidate.

Tbh, I bet Cambridge would take a person who did Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, AEA Maths, STEP I, STEP II, STEP III + a ******** of extra-curriculars related to maths + loads of further reading; compared to a candidate who did Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and History - and did **** all to show his passion for Maths.

They don't care about you being a "rounded" student. That's not in the selection criteria (unless you can prove me wrong). They care about academic excellence and potential in their chosen degree subject.

You're talking utter balls.
Reply 19

Tbh, I bet Cambridge would take a person who did Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, AEA Maths, STEP I, STEP II, STEP III + a ******** of extra-curriculars related to maths + loads of further reading; compared to a candidate who did Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and History - and did **** all to show his passion for Maths.

Maths, FM, Latin + 2 other sciences, + French to AS. I did no maths ECs apart from the obligatory UKMC which we all had to do at school anyway. There's a guy on the forum (foolsihboy?) who took Maths, FM, Latin, Music and French to AS and has an offer (sorry if that was a bit stalk-y, the mix of subjects just stuck in my mind).

To be honest, for maths, the only thing which counts is that you just have to be good at maths, true. But as long as you're good at maths, Cambridge don't give a **** what you do with the rest of your a-levels. So take what you like! Do a broad mix if you want! It makes you into a better person. But maths is one of those narrow subjects where pretty much the only A-level which counts is Maths. If you do anything else, especially NatSci or PPS/SPS/SS/whatever it's called then you definitely do need to have a broad range of subjects. 5 AS and 4 A2's is definitely manageable.

There are no hard and fast rules for admissions, beyond the fact that doing your desired subject of study at A-level is probably a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest