The Student Room Group

Will i be able to get through medical school?

i really want to do medicine, i'm motivated and have the right attitude and everything. the only problem/thing that is holding me back is i don't actually feel comfortable in hospitals. silly thing, i know. but i just i find the atmosphere too apprehensive. I figured i would do the medical degree because there are so many options outside hospital-based work like GP or academics or research. but my question is, is there a chance that while i'm at medical school, this will change and i will learn to like it or is this some kind of warning bell? :confused: no harsh comments please. this is a genuine concern. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you can't stand Hospitals then F1/2 would not be much fun for you.
biaf93
i really want to do medicine, i'm motivated and have the right attitude and everything. the only problem/thing that is holding me back is i don't actually feel comfortable in hospitals. silly thing, i know. but i just i find the atmosphere too apprehensive. I figured i would do the medical degree because there are so many options outside hospital-based work like GP or academics or research. but my question is, is there a chance that while i'm at medical school, this will change and i will learn to like it or is this some kind of warning bell? :confused: no harsh comments please. this is a genuine concern. thanks

Either man up, or find something else to study.

That is best advice you can get because you are gonna have to do your junior years in a hosp.
Reply 3
why would you do something that you dont want to do?
you'll be spending the best part of 2 - 3 years in hospitals during your medical degree, when undertaking your clinical study. if you can't get over that, then i really don't think you should put yourself through a medical degree.
Reply 5
Why do you want to do medicine?
Hmm, without wanting to state the obvious... Don't do medicine?
Reply 7
biaf93

Since you still have time, go check it out. ..what is the cause of this apprehension.. go for therapy- it's not a bad word.... U might be better for it all round....get desensitized.... trust me you want to be able n ready should you need be in hospital for you or others.

and after all this you still find you cant cope then do something better...

Dr Martin ...comes to mind .:o:
Reply 8
Have you done work experience at a hospital? Maybe you just feel apprehensive because you've only been there as a pt. or relative of a pt.
Reply 9
sohanshah
Have you done work experience at a hospital? Maybe you just feel apprehensive because you've only been there as a pt. or relative of a pt.

I agree with this, really. I think you might just be worried about them when, after a while, you'll just get used to it. I know this is a bit different, but before I started my A levels I was really apprehensive about doing them and worried about how everything would turn out, but in the end they were some of the most enjoyable years I've had. I think you should associate with hospitals more and you might find your apprehension goes away.
Reply 10
if you find the atmophere of a hospital apprehensive then what do expect to feel like when your patients are ill, dying and in pain or you have to make hard decisions ..... i agree you either need to man up or study something else.
Before you even think about applying for medicine, you need to get over the hospital thing. Yes, there are non hospital based jobs you can pursue, but you're going to have to spend a lot of time in hospitals before you get there. The best thing to do at this stage is arrange to spend some time in one. Regular volunteering eg pushing the newspaper cart around wards would be a good place to start. Its not too full on, and you may well find that your apprehension goes away with time. If so thats great, and you'll be a step ahead of the students who freak out when they hit the wards in 3rd year! If not you need to really think about how your going to handle many years of working in an environment that you're not comfortable in. Perhaps look at some other health professions that are not hospital based. Or a science degree leading to research?
Good luck!
Is this a fear or something? Maybe get some help if it is? lol they might even send you to a hospital for your therapy.
Reply 13
biaf93

you'll be fine. first few weeks maybe you'll be hesitant, but by then you'll have made friends and you'll get through it together.

Just like in movies.
Reply 14
lol_toast
you'll be fine. first few weeks maybe you'll be hesitant, but by then you'll have made friends and you'll get through it together.

Just like in movies.

You're a week late.
Reply 15
some med skools are easier to get through than others, macca.
Reply 16
OP
What you're saying is that you want to be a doctor, but you don't like hospitals? That's like wanting to be footballer, and not liking football pitches. Or a teacher who doesn't like classrooms. Or a gardener who doesn't like gardens. Or an MP who doesn't like a big luxury house paid for by taxpayers.

I think medicine is not for you
I don't think the replies are very fair. I suspect a good reason for wanting to become a GP is not liking hospitals, I think on calls and nights get very tedious very quickly.
Reply 18
mind you, digi, GP is often the choice of those who didnt want to do medicine but thought it was an impressive UCAS choice.
Reply 19
digitalis
I don't think the replies are very fair. I suspect a good reason for wanting to become a GP is not liking hospitals, I think on calls and nights get very tedious very quickly.

But surely if the OP did not like hospitals, then they would essentially be spending 7/8 years doing something somewhere that they really didn't want to be? That sounds like it could be really demotivating

Latest

Trending

Trending